Guest viewing is limited

THR Recovery post op 21st Nov.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good advice Sissy. Will bear that in mind, especially the last line.

Sharon - yeah, I'm wearing the TEDs 24/7. It was the nurses who told me to leave them on for 6 weeks permanently except showering.
 
Hi spid, just catching up with your thread... read the article from the link you provided.. I found, I kept myself away from articles like that, they are in the minority when you consider how many THR's are performed.

Not sure if you have been provided with this link regarding your concern about dislocations.. but here it is:

Dislocation: incidence of dislocation after THR

My surgeon here in Australia trained in the UK and internationally, and is of the mindset with Jo, hips have a way of sorting themselves out with recovery.. We do not get PT post discharge, unless we organise it privately, but my OS said ....

'hips are make for walking', so keep moving :)

Transitioning from walking aides is an individual topic, your muscles, your body will let you know when you are ready.. don't be pushed into doing something that you don't quite think you are ready for.. the 'no pain, no gain' saying does not apply for joint replacement recovery. You are your best advocate :)
 
Yeah, before my op I wouldn't go anywhere near articles like that. Post op I don't mind so much.

The only thing with not doing any PT and only walking is that I think it would take me a lot longer to get my full range of movement back. Like the excercises I was given - I was finding impossible at first despite doing plenty of walking, but after trying them a few times they are a lot easier.

My only worry is that it's going to take me time to walk without crutches and without a limp because I was limping quite heavily for around 2 years prior to this op.
 
Spid, I too have been a heavy limper for some time and was a little surprised I guess that I still limped so much after surgery. I am at 5 weeks and just in the last two days have I started to feel some rythmn to my walking. I am still limping, but am seeing improvement in my walk and my mental ability to recognize and make corrections. I also have difficulty in the side slides, I wish I could see my face when I am doing them, its not pretty I know! It is getting better every time I do them too. Also I know you had asked about sleeping on your side. I am happy to report that also in the last couple of days I have been able to lay on my side longer, last night being for several hours. I feel like the improvements come with little changes that may be undetectable to me, but my hip is responding to them positively. I think you will be amazed at how different you feel in three more weeks to where you are now. It will come, just be patient. And be sure and celebrate the smallest victories, they matter! I "almost" put lotion on my right (op) foot last night, whoot whoot!!
 
Haha yes, a lot of gritting of the teeth going on when side slides are being done by me.

Yeah hopefully when my hip is strong enough to walk without crutches I'll recognise what I need to do to walk without a limp and the rhythm will come naturally.
 
Spid, you have age on your side! You will be doing side slides and many other things before you know it.
 
Spid, I had to grit my teeth on those early slide exercises, too. Then one day, "magically," it got better.

I'm quite sure you will be limp-free just as soon as the muscle recovery reaches the proper point - which comes at a different time for all of us. Please keep us posted.
 
The side slides have got a lot, lot easier tbf. Now the hard one seems to be standing and lifting the knee up.

What is the most important excercise, apart from walking, in people's opinion?
 
I can do the sideways and knee lift no problem when standing, except for my other hip hurting. In between sets, I would hold mysef up by my hands on the counter for some relief, but when I am laying down Ido not do as well especially on the side ones
 
I just attempted my first move to the side yesterday at PT. No joy! Kind of had to use my foot and dig my heel in to get my leg to slide just a tiny bit out. I'm sure it will come with time.
 
What are side slides? Is that lying down or standing up?
 
I just attempted my first move to the side yesterday at PT. No joy! Kind of had to use my foot and dig my heel in to get my leg to slide just a tiny bit out. I'm sure it will come with time.

Yeah, when my PT asked me to do it I just looked at my leg and it didn't move a millimetre! lol It really does get easier after a day or two.

These are laying down Sissy. They are a lot easier standing up but I got told to do them too.
 
Sissy shouldn't have any problem doing side slides as she is the master at going up and down the stairs sideways :rotfl:
 
Had a bit of a wake up call today. Had an appt with the physio and I couldn't do many of the exercises, mainly because I hadn't been doing them at home. She got me walking with one crutch and said I look heavily dependent on it so will leave me with 2 for now. I wondered if it was a bit soon anyway and she said they have some people without crutches at the 2 week stage. Really?! Josephine, have I been silly in not doing the exericses? The physio has got me a bit down now.
Spid, she is wrong, wrong, wrong! You are only 2½ weeks out and slap bang in the middle of the 'angry tissue' stage so hardly surprising you are unable to many of these things. Still chill out and don't let her panic you. You have plenty of time to get there. As for the crutches, many people are still using walkers at 3 weeks and more. Yes there are some who have progressed more quickly but they are in the minority. I've said it before and I will say it again - hips usually have a way of working themselves out. Walking is your best friend now - take another look at this Activity progression for THR
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...de-But-sent-private-clinic-NHS-end-tears.html... Just read that. Always scares me when I read about dislocations and that one more so as it became dislocated again.
I would never, EVER consent to go to a private hospital unless the same surgeon was going to do the surgery. This is a BIG warning to all Brits - do not ever accept and referral to one of these teams of European surgeons to do your op. They may be good in their own country but here they are working in unfamiliar departments and often with unfamiliar kits of instruments and implants. Remember what has been said repeatedly on BoneSmart - you need to KNOW that your surgeon is skilled in using the device planned for you, that he does in excess of 200 hips per year and what his outcome stats are like, including dislocations (which are invariably due to badly placed implants) and infections. It's one of the worst ideas our government came up with in a long, long time.
 
I would never, EVER consent to go to a private hospital unless the same surgeon was going to do the surgery. This is a BIG warning to all Brits - do not ever accept and referral to one of these teams of European surgeons to do your op.
That's interesting. Do you have any horror stories? Here in Canada there are few private hospitals. However, there's this thing called medical tourism where people without medical coverage can get procedures done for a small fraction of the cost at home. It's probably aimed at the U.S. https://healthpages.org/health-care/medical-tourism/
 
Josephine Would I be ok sleeping on my unoperated side now? Getting very bored of being on my back so much. Very scared to do it even if I get the go ahead but may give it a go.

Re going to a private hospital - not really related to your point but I did Choose & Book and went to a private hospital. Got the surgeon I wanted and we picked a date when I went for the consultation. Only had to wait 8 weeks for the op date as opposed to double or more at my local hospital. Couldn't fault the care either, really was good.
 
There are occasions when you can be assigned to a certain local surgeon and then be offered a bed in a private hospital which is paid for by the PCT. That's different. But there was a scheme set up by our previous government (labour!) who employed one or several surgeons to come over from the continent to carry out hip and knee replacements at private hospitals. They were paid a lot more than our own consultants got as well. But as I said before, these visiting surgeons sometimes had poor language skills and were expected to use the instruments and devices available in that private hospital. They might never have even seen them before and therefore had almost no skill in using them. Plus there was no 'buddy system' of other orthopods to advise or support. The statistics of poor outcomes were appalling when the statistics were done and the scheme was abandoned.

Spid, are you on restrictions? If so, you need to comply with those until your surgeon gives you leave to stop. If you're not, I would still caution against side sleeping until you are about 6 weeks out and even then, sleep with a large pillow between your legs to prevent the knee dropping down like this on the left which risks dislocation.

[Bonesmart.org] Recovery post op 21st Nov.
 
Ok. I was never really told much about how to sleep, or not, but I won't risk it.

The picture and your note scares/saddens me a little though as having my knee bent (on the operated leg) and having the leg flaying out is how I slept prior to my op, and its how I'd like to go back to sleeping eventually. It's probably what I'm looking forward to most for the 6 weeks to be up tbh!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom