Guest viewing is limited

THR Recovery post op 21st Nov.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um...pardon me..but taking out displays wasn't me. But everything else, yah, that was me. Guilty as charged. I am so glad to see that your sense of humor is back. You were sounding a bit down earlier this weekend and we can't have that.

Come on Spid...don't let the warrior women highjack your thread. How are you doing tonight. Inquiring minds want to know.

Tammy
 
darn! Isn't Spid in the UK? What time is it over there? Maybe he's sleeping?
 
Whoopsie! You are right Sissy. I see that Spid is in the UK. I have no idea what time it is over there. I barely know what time it is here :)

Hey Spid, what is the time difference between our countries?
 
The only thing worse than that Max is "what are you thinking?"
 
Haha, sorry people - was in la la land or trying at least! UK is 5 hours ahead of east coast USA.

Was a poor night's sleep yesterday as I had a sharp pain in the lower back area (that bit where women have tattoos quite often now lol). I put it down to the bed and I feel nice and fresh now still. Chirpy, even!

Stitches and dressing off this time next week. Will be a bit of a landmark I guess.
 
Josephine do you think I am taking enough medication for this stage of my recovery? 2*100mg sr tramadol and 2*50mg diclofenac. I don't feel much pain but maybe that back pain I was getting last night was just when the mess which is taken upon waking up had worn off. I'm open to taking one more Diclofenac, mid afternoon, as I can stop that very easily unlike Tramadol.
 
Why do you assume you would have a problem stopping Tramadol?

What you need to do is take paracetamol with it rather than diclofenac. It's a much better combo. Then you can take varying amounts of either according to your pain levels. Considering you are only 5 days out, I would suggest you take 50mg Tramadol with 2 paracetamol during the day and maybe 100 with paracetamol at night. You could also take an extra dose of Tramadol during the night on its own if needed.
 
Glad you doing well Spid, it sounds like you are making good decisions and moving in a straight line toward recovery.

sissy46, now don't you go comparing sideways stair climbing to darn!, scooter wheelies as that is part of our warrior attack, but perhaps we could learn from you as the sideways approach may be good for silent hidden ninja attakce, I think both Tammy and I will have to wait on that one though till we are down to 1 crutch, in the meantime it the blitz attacks:)
 
Why do you assume you would have a problem stopping Tramadol?

What you need to do is take paracetamol with it rather than diclofenac. It's a much better combo. Then you can take varying amounts of either according to your pain levels. Considering you are only 5 days out, I would suggest you take 50mg Tramadol with 2 paracetamol during the day and maybe 100 with paracetamol at night. You could also take an extra dose of Tramadol during the night on its own if needed.

I once ran out of my 100mg Tramadol around a year ago and the GP was closed to get a repeat. The pain was fine and I thought "great, this is easy". A night or so later I couldn't sleep all night until about 630am, I was sweating feeling really hot, hallucinating during the night and had some IBS the next day. Had a similar night the next evening when going to sleep too.

I Googled it and Read so many people having the same experience. I think I could probably move myself off it by going down to 50*2 a day then once a day but I just know how it affected my last year so I'm wary.
 
Okay, yes you do have a problem. But my advice to you is to tail off very, very slowly. This means to drop one tablet a day for a week at a time regardless of your pain level. So it should take you about 6-8 weeks to wean off it completely. The paracetamol and diclofenac should be able to take up the slack. Then makes sure your GP enters it on your notes that you are sensitive to that drug so you never get prescribed it again.
 
For now shall I have Tramadol and Paracetmol as you say it's a better combo than Tramadol and Diclofenac?

It's just I'm not sure I've ever seen any benefit from paracetamol.
 
Spid, I am assuming you mean the area where women get their "tramp stamps," or "ink above the stink?" Sorry to hear your back was bothering you, but very happy to see that you are feeling better now. I am very glad to see that you were trying to get some much needed rest while Max was bashing on us girls on your thread.

You will feel so much better keeping up on your pain meds and having your staples removed.

Tammy
 
Lol Tammy! Yes, the tramp stamp - not heard that in a while!

Don't know what sort of stitches were used (definitely not dissolvable) but is it a little painful when they are taken out?
 
darn! "ink above the stink" :rotfl: I hadn't heard that one before.

Spid, my primary care did not want me taking ibuprofen back when I was having hip pain before I saw the surgeon. She gave me Tramadol, which I tried, and I had weird dreams that were almost more like hallucinations. I thought my tabby cat was singing Oh Solo Mio to me, sitting with his tail wrapped around and his head thrown back. I still think about that, a lot.

It never did much for my pain, though.
 
Well Sissy, I work with teenagers all day, 5 days a week. I've got a million of 'em. Most of which can not be posted here. That is quite a hallucination. I can almost picture it myself.

Spid, my staple removal was quite painful as the skin had grown over mine. It required the nurse to have to dig them out. It hurt like heck. My suggestion is to take your pain meds about 30 minutes before your appointment. My previous experience with just stiches is that it kind of burns slightly...sort of like pulling off a bandaid. Hope this helps.

Tammy
 
Uh oh, I wish you hadn't told me that Tammy! Lol

When people aim to do an exercise (soon after op) like bringing their leg back whilst laying down where do they get pain? Mine is in the femur or quadricips, this is normal I hope? and it goes away as soon as I put the leg back down.
 
Quadriceps pain is pretty common. For whatever reason, even with anterior approach this muscle gets weakened by the procedure and needs to be re-strengthened through PT. Only now, after two weeks, am I able to raise the right leg into bed without "help" from the left. And it hurts (the quad muscle) when I do. Getting better, though.
 
Whoopsie! Sorry Spid. Forget I said anything. As to your question about pain in the quad and femur with exercise, I have discovered that I get some horrible pain after trying to do straight leg raises. It is deep in the thigh, follows the track of my femur and radiates to my inner knee. It will continue to hurt for days and gets worse with movement; especially an action like a heel slide. Just keep icing like a fool and it will feel better :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom