THR Recovery post op 21st Nov.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I often elevate both legs while lying in bed. If you have several pillows, stack them so it looks like a set of steps....with the bottom step pointed toward your hips. You should find this to be pretty comfortable.
 
darn! Thanks for your help, this sounds good.

I think the thing I'm looking forward to most is sleeping in my proper bed on my side with no worries!
 
Spid, I totally understand. I am not quite 3 weeks post-op. I have managed being able to lie on my stomach for no more than about 30 minutes before becoming uncomfortable. I can't lie on my non-operated side for any thing more than a few minutes either.

I am glad that I could be of some help to you. Bone Smart and the people I have met through this forum have really helped me along the way. I am only to happy to pay it forward.

Have a great weekend and get some rest.

Tammy
 
Hi Spid

Finding a comfy position can be aa bit of a pain, you will get there eventually but swear by putting a pillow between my legs as it help to weight bear when moving from side to side.

Billy
 
Spid, I can tell you that being able to sleep on my belly was a major milestone, in that I finally got a good night's sleep. Be sure to check with your orthopod to see when you're cleared to sleep in your normal position, whatever that may be.
 
I don't want to move side to side for now so unsure whether pillow between legs will still be of benefit?

Before I used to sleep on my right hand side (with left being the operated one now). I guess I'll have to wait 6 weeks before I can sleep like that without worry? I've never been a fan of sleeping on my belly, and that seems the most demanding position to get into.

I think I'm more picky with beds etc as I usually sleep on a waterbed which is very, very soft. So the bed in our spare room seems brick-like in comparison.
 
Spid, it sounds like you're doing a great job working through the little adjustments that must be made when you're early in recovery. It can be such a pain....literally!!! Sleep positions have to be one of the most frustrating aspects of joint replacement as you're finding out. Try to do the best you can and know that it is all just temporary. Give yourself a few weeks and you'll be much more comfortable.

The pillow configuration darn! gave you where you use several pillows to angle your leg upwards is excellent. It's always good to get that elevation to keep swelling down. If your surgeon has advised you to use a pillow between your legs for a while, do continue to do so. Otherwise, you just have to experiment a little with positioning to see what is comfortable for you at each stage of recovery. It will probably be several weeks before you'll be able to lie on either side for any length of time.

The main rule is.....if it hurts, don't do it! (Simple, but true!)
 
I like that rule. Much preferable to 'no pain, no gain'!

Had a much better sleep last night. Slept on top of a light duvet to make the bed softer and it worked out well. No blood oozing today either, thankfully.

What were people's appetites like post op? I'm very skinny as it is but since the op on Wednesday I've hardly felt like eating, I've snacked on a few things like cereal or toast instead and generally been very thirsty.
 
My appetite first decreased (since I'm emphatically not skinny that was nice) but then picked back up. Probably isn't helping that we're now in the "eating " time of year. It skews mainly toward real food and protein, though, not so much sweets. And yes very thirsty! I'm drinking way more water than is normal for me.
 
Appetite took about a week to return to normal. The hospital food was great, but way too much. I would eat the salad, soup, and whole wheat roll, then regretfully just a taste of the entree. Usually, chocolate is not safe anywhere near me, but a friend brought chocolate to the hospital and I didn't touch it until I'd been home a while.

It is very hard to eat when you don't feel hungry, especially when you know your healing needs the good nutrition. But don't worry, you will soon be enjoying your food again.
 
Glad to hear my lack of appetite is normal at the moment.

Another thing I was wondering is re the exercises given by the physio. They are nothing strenuous, just things like raising the leg whilst laying down, binging it to the side, etc but right now I just don't feel like doing them. I feel good today, walking around, up and down the stairs a few times but can't get motivated to try them yet.

Maybe at one week stage I will get started. Is this wrong of me?
 
"If it hurts, don't do it," is the very best advice. On the other hand, sometimes we are lazy:rolleyes: and the easy ones do get boring. I am no expert, but if you are up walking around and climbing stairs, you're probably doing enough at this early stage.

Here in the States, PT is really emphasized. I think if I had not found this forum, I would have pushed myself too hard. For example, I was supposed to do straight leg lifts---I could do it, but the pain :yikes:. I thought about the surgery I'd had and I couldn't see that anything good would come of doing this to the point of pain, so I just quietly did not do them. Several weeks post-op, out of curiosity I tried the straight leg lifts, and no problem, I could do them pain free.

My Pt, a week post-op, had me balancing on my left leg for 30 seconds. That was easy, so the next visit she brought a foam mat for me to do it on, to make it more challenging. That hurt! and I said I woudn't do it, because it hurt. She was okay with that.

I have been going up and down stairs to my condo since I came home, and one exercise she suggested that I am still doing, is going up and down sideways. You might want to ask your PT if this is okay for you, as I feel it has helped with strength and abducting and adducting. It also stimulates conversation with the neighbors.

Another one I didn't do right away, is lie on my right side with my right leg bent, and do side leg lifts with my operative leg. Until just recently, that caused pain, so instead, I was standing on my right leg and slowly taking my left leg to the side and back---same motion, but less resistance. Now I'm doing them lying down without pain. My surgeon suggested I add some resistance and I said okay, but I haven't yet.

And I had gone back to the Y for my usual circuit training, but I've slacked off that for the last couple of weeks because it is too tempting to use too much weight and walk out of there achy and grumpy. Instead I've been doing things I enjoy---kayaking and bike riding and hiking---pretty much every other day, with a restful day in between. I'm about ready to get back to the Y this coming week.

Your recovery is at such early days right now, not even one week post-op. You are doing fine. Keep it up and keep your Bone Smart buddies posted:thumb:
 
Spid, I know what you mean about getting motivated to do your exercises. I'm supposed to do mine 2-3 times a day but only manage twice most days. I try to do them mid-morning and mid-afternoon, but if I get behind, I don't feel like doing them in the evening.

As for eating, I managed to eat all my meals in the hospital. The portions were small, but there were many courses. When I got home I found I couldn't eat the big meals I was used to. I'd lost 10 lbs, which was nice, even though I'm not fat, just have a bit of a beer belly. I found after a week I was eating more and the exercises became easier.
 
Hi Spid, please don't worry about not doing your exercises or not feeling hungry. The pain meds cause chaos with your body so things may take a bit of time to settle. Just be sure and drink plenty of fluids. If you feel like doing one or two exercises go for it. But don't be discouraged. Just keep trying. One day things seem impossible - then the next they are easy.
 
I have been going up and down stairs to my condo since I came home, and one exercise she suggested that I am still doing, is going up and down sideways. ... It also stimulates conversation with the neighbors.
LOL. Glass houses?

Spid, add another vote to the "appetite suppressed" category. I have to say my hospital served the worst food I've ever eaten, but even after returning home I'm not eager to eat very much.
 
I would love to see sissy46 going up and down her stairs sideways :giggle:. Glass house indeed!

Spid, how did you sleep last night? Better, I hope. I was given a bunch of exercises to do while in the hospital, then again some more by the PT that came to the house. I was doing them very faithfully, but developed some pretty intense pain deep in my thigh...nevertheless, I quit doing any of the exercises prescribed and took the advise of my BS friends and did nothing but REST, ICE and ELEVATE!!! You are not all that far out from your surgery date, in fact not far enough out to worry about intense training.

Hope to see you got a full night's sleep and are up and feeling great.

Tammy
 
Stairs sideways...I'm not doing it naked, y'all! The stairs are on the outside and lead up to my front door and my next door neighbor's front door. I go up and down facing one rail, and then up and down facing the other rail. Try it, you'll like it:egypdance:
 
Not til I'm weightbearing and then look out! So how many stairs are we talking about? Are you out there awhile? Giggle, giggle.
 
There's fifteen or sixteen steps, I think.
darn! If I were a person who does wheelies with a Publix scooter and took down shoppers and wiped out displays, I don't believe I'd be making fun of a person who runs the stair sideways---you know?
:bicycle1: for my next trick....

Spid How are you this evening?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom