THR Phoebie's recovery THR- left side. Uncemented, minimally invasive posterior.

@Phoebie you GOT THIS!!! I am so glad you got cleared to fly. I hope you have a great flight with your new hip. You sound like you are as prepared as you can be. I hope you encounter some kind people along the way that are understanding & helpful, if you need it. I have found if I tell people I’m still healing from my hip, they have been very understanding, so I wish that for you.

Keep us posted on your travels & rest when you can♥❤️‍
 
Thank you.

Yes, I shall try to leave my proud independent trait at home and just relax into admitting I need help. You are right that people are generally only too pleased to help. My stick will be my travel companion. Besides, my three-year-old grandson it particularly attached to it. (More as a toy though I did catch him mimicking my limp back in July) :loll:

I realise I am still on the mend and will likely have some set backs. Not out of the woods yet but I think I glimpse a clearing ahead.

Still following everyone's progress here so keep posting. Your support is treasured.
 
I'm sure you will fine on your flight, you mentioned previously that you had made necessary arrangements for airport as well as having a very comfortable seat/bed on flight.
I flew 4 months post op (I actually flew home 5 days after my surgery) and all went fine but it is understandable to be a little anxious.
Keep us posted please.
 
@Phoebie-hope your trip goes well-you maybe on the way now. Hope all goes well & you get to the US safely with minimal pain and you get to enjoy some family time. Happy holidays
 
Thank you! I am in the lounge waiting to board. My great achievement of the day was getting my flight socks on!! Much grunting from the disabled bathroom booth. They must have wondered what I was doing in there! I used the ones measured for me so hopefully they do the trick.

Incidentally since I stopped taking the blood thinners I have not had any major swelling.

My D-I-L and grandchildren will collect me at the airport. Apparently they are super excited to see me. Probably because whenever I arrive it is a major celebration....Christmas, Easter or holidays. I am sure they associate me with getting gifts. :loll:

Thanks again for the good wishes and support. I shall check in on everyone.
 
@Phoebie hope you have arrived and the grands were super excited to see you. They have a way of lifting our spirits-for sure♥️. Curious as if your dr told you to stop the blood thinners, I am still on prescription aspirin & I really want off of them. That is my next question for my dr.

Hope you are resting well & it was a good, uneventful trip over here!!
 
Best wishes for a wonderful family holiday @Phoebie !!!!
 
Please let us know how the flying went, as well how you managed at the airports. My family lives very much around the globe, so we do fly long distances all the time, but since the knee replacements I had 3 years ago need revision, I've had to use the airport assistance as well. US airports are mostly okay on arrival (but often not on departure, where I am made to wait and wait and acutally missed my flight once because no one arrived), but have had problems in Heathrow each and every time. So - curious how others are coping there (since it's such a major transit hub).
 
Hi Everyone! Thanks for the lovely good wishes. I have been completely engrossed with the family and the grandchildren were super excited to see me. They certainly do lift the spirits. I am now fully into Christmas preparations and whilst I am still easily tired I made some definite improvements.

Blood thinners: My consultant said to stop them after five weeks. They should not be necessary after that time and were the cause of most of the swelling and bruising I had. Since I stopped them I have had very little swelling and some days none at all. It is worth talking to your doctor about why you need to take them still. There could be a good reason.

Flying post-op: I got the all clear to fly three days before flying but had booked my ticket ages ago. I was fortunate to fly First Class (I fly a lot and had a lot of points to make the cost reasonable). I took the precaution of wearing flight socks - I took the ones measured for me at the hospital - I didn't drink alcohol and I made sure I moved around a fair bit. No one on board minded. After an hour or so I felt some slight swelling so I asked for the bed to be made up and kept my legs up for most of the flight. They felt fine.

I used Special Assistance. I have had a few horror stories at Heathrow and once again they were late collecting me from the Concorde Lounge. They picked me up 35 minutes before take off but I had the staff call to make sure the held the gate. It was stressful but all OK in the end.

At Dulles I was well cared for. Just before landing I had a message from the pilot that I could use the diplomatic lane at border control. (Don't they know who I am not)? This meant I went straight through and my bags were waiting. The Assistant took me to the pick up point to wait for my lift. However, it seemed the whole world was arriving at Dulles on Friday and the queue for cars to pick up went far out of the airport. I think I waited a good 35 minutes to finally be collected.

It was so worth it. to be with family. If your surgeon says you can fly then do it. Plan. Tell the cabin crew and they will be so helpful. Use Special Assistance and be a pest at Heathrow. All the hassle is worth it. (I say this but will, no doubt, stress about the return journey).
 
Thanks for sharing your travel story, @Phoebie. Glad to read that most of the pre-planning worked out and that you were able to make the trip without over stressing on your recovering hip!

Happy holidays! :plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:
 
@Phoebie so glad you made it with no issues! & got special care given to you!! Enjoy your family & grands. Have a wonderful time & Merry Christmas♥️.

Thanks for info on blood thinners-got the ok today from my surgeon to stop blood thinners & start reducing gabapentin & robaxin!! Yay.
 
Sounds like you had a good flight & now enjoying family time. I find the crews on air travel to be quite accommodating when they know you have special circumstances.
Happy Holidays to you!
 
I got through to eight weeks and I am certainly a lot better. The pain is a rare visitor but good sleep eludes me still. I guess it will settle. I can sleep on my operated side, no problem, but my body puts limits on any position for too long.

The run up to Christmas was full on. 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. with no rest times most days and lots of playing with grandchildren. At different ages they all demand my attention at the same time but for different reasons. I adore their company. The house was full and I worked hard to make each day special. I stayed calm when the in-laws sat around doing nothing for three days. Honestly, I bit my tongue so hard I have a lisp. I definitely overdid it.

Today I have been very tearful. Discreetly because I could not have the children see me upset. So I have been weeping quietly in my bathroom from time to time. I am sure it is just tiredness. Probably also because my trip is coming to an end and I will miss my family so much.

When I get home I shall start my longer walks and practising shaking off the remaining limp. I am still wary of doing some things but hope to get back into my bath soon. Three weeks at home then off to Italy to battle the builders. I need to recover my strength.
 
Post op blues can still happen.... Travel, extra physical exertion, watching others sit when it could have been you, holidays.... Sending you a very big ((hug)).
 
Today I have been very tearful. Discreetly because I could not have the children see me upset. So I have been weeping quietly in my bathroom from time to time. I am sure it is just tiredness. Probably also because my trip is coming to an end and I will miss my family so much.
Aww, so sorry! Sending a warm hug your way, Phoebie. :console2:
Fatigue can certainly put us in a funk and I'm sure the thought of leaving loved ones is sad. There's such a big buildup to Christmas, for those that celebrate, then BAM, its over! Hopefully, you can focus on your trip to Italy and it takes your mind off missing loved ones once your back home. Safe travels back!
 
@Phoebie awe I understand being teary. Since we live alone, I think it makes it much harder for us. Being around everyone, especially grand children. I know you adore them ALL-there is something truly amazing about being a grand. It’s crazy good!!
I am right there with you on sleep & being better. I had a set back yesterday, but today much better. When u return-focus on your trip to Italy (gosh-bucket list for me) & continuing to heal up. I am certainly glad to hear you had a had a great time. Have a safe trip home & please continue to update us. I love reading everyone’s progress, I feel like I’ve made new friends on here.
 
Ahh, Italy is not such a great trip for me. I bought a property there four years ago and it has been a constant trial to renovate. Italians love red tape, COVID made setbacks and once all the permissions were is place the builders started. They are running one year behind. We have gone to lawyers twice as they try to charge more money on a fixed price contract and it is a long, constant battle. They won't win but I could do without the stress. I am going out to kick their arses out, finished or not. I delayed my operation by one year because of their delays. My patience has departed.

On the plus side I have great friends there only too keen for me to finish the place and spend a few months each year living the good life.

I am sorry about your setback. I did read about it but was interrupted by the grandchildren before I could reply. You have to accept that you might need to focus on walks rather than the gym for the next few months. It must be frustrating if that is part of your routine. We all want to get back to normal life, right? I am going to accept use of a treadmill when the weather is cold. Maybe a little boxing ready for my Italian showdown. :)
 
Maybe a little boxing ready for my Italian showdown
Love! :heehee: Sense of humor intact.

Sorry for all the stress the renovation is causing. How wonderful though when the nightmare is behind you and you’re spending time there with friends.
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I enjoy following your journey, Phoebie and wish you many blessings in 2025!
@Phoebie
 
@Layla Thank you, I appreciate the support you have given me. Wishing you a wonderful 2025.
 
Another really tough day mentally. Spent the morning at Lego Discovery having a great time - not alone, that would be weird, I took the grandchildren. :) Then played board games and bicycles outside. I feel terrible as I look at their faces when they want me to play with them and do everything together. I want to too but have to disappear for tears before resuming activities. I know it is partly low energy reserves and knowing I have to say goodbye soon for a few months. My emotions are annoyingly out of control. I need to return to my usual 'stiff upper lip'. I don't know how people deal with wayward feelings; the little rascals.

Back into puzzles, I think is next. Gosh I am going to miss my little gaggle of followers.
 
Back
Top Bottom