THR Phoebie's recovery THR- left side. Uncemented, minimally invasive posterior.

One other note:

I called my travel insurers and advised them of my hip replacement, for the record. The chap was very happy to chat - mostly about T.V. programmes - but at the end he advised that a hip replacement adds almost £100 to the annual premium. Great.

To be fair it is Saga, a company that specialises in insurance for the over 50's and they are extremely competitive. I have a Worldwide, extensive cover to travel for six months of the year and it beats the other companies. Still, I would have thought I was more of a risk pre-surgery.

Just another little surprise.
 
UK must be different than US for travel insurance cause we add it to our airfare but never had to mention any health issue of new body parts.
Interesting.
 
Is that for travel within the U.S.?

We can buy single trip policies and add it to the holiday or airfare but it is limited in scope. For all medical cover you have to declare any pre-existing illness or medication.

I think the key with a World Wide annual policy is that whilst we still have a reciprocal arrangement with Europe for emergency health care, it does not cover the U.S. where costs can be extraordinary. I have an annual policy because I am travelling six months of the year usually. This means buying a higher rate of cover.
 
@Phoebie ok I understand minimal invasive now. Mine definitely was not. My incision is 13 inches long-but it has healed up nicely. I honestly thought it was going to be alot worse than what it is, so thankful for that. I am getting my hair done tomorrow and I’m so excited!! I missed the last appointment due to how uncomfortable sitting was, but since that is better-I’m going to see what my girl can do about this grey mess-lol-I know makes a gal feel better. Yay for you ditching the flowy dresses-someone mentioned putting a pair of boy shorts or underwear when starting to wear jeans-just for comfort. I have not gotten to that point yet. In sweats & loose pants bc weather has turned cold here. Interested to see how my new hip likes the cold. I’m in Louisiana so winter is relatively short-was 80 last week and ☀️.

I, too am ever so thankful I found this group. Amazing people here-just being kind, thoughtful & helpful. Such a wonderful thing especially when going through this major surgery!!!
 
Great news you are getting your hair done. My dear colourist came to my home at the weekend to cover the grey and styled my hair. It made me feel one hundred times better!!! I shall be back in the salon before my trip, I hope.

I also read about the shorts and found a range of modal soft sleep shorts at M&S - my go-to place for everyday underwear - and they should arrive today. My dressing is coming off tomorrow and I am a little worried about it being exposed. However, I am sure they wouldn't expose it unless it was ready.

Yes, the colder weather is better for the swelling. I have that controlled at the moment but I know it is going to flare up at times in the future. I don't want to venture outside for walks in the icy cold. It is going to warm up a little at the weekend.

Your operation is much more invasive so I understand why you have had more discomfort. Well done for getting this far! The best advice I had here was to pull back on the exercises and just walk. I still do them, but less, and that has helped reduce swelling.
 
@Phoebie good luck getting dressing off tomorrow. You’ll be so glad to get it off and on to conquer the next challenge, whatever that maybe-lol. i was super impressed how mine looked once dressing was off. Let us know how it goes.
 
My second wound check and there was a tiny pin prick breakthrough. No sign of infection. The nurse dressed it with a much smaller dressing and said it looked great. So, it kind of explains a little soreness I have been feeling, no doubt me doing something I should not or moving awkwardly in the night.

Small dressing should be off next week.
 
there was a tiny pin prick breakthrough.
Sounds like its all healing nicely
I had the same at mine - it was at the end near the groin...the nurse thinks it was probably left open a bit to allow for drainage. I took the little dressing off after 3 days (per direction) and it had dried up. That's the only bit of my scar that's still got glue on it now, the rest has come off. It's the only bit that's got any puckering as well, the rest is smooth.
 
@Phoebie wonderful news!! Sounds like it is healing nicely, I’m sure you did nothing wrong-maybe that part just taking longer to heal. I’m glad it looks good-I know that is a huge relief to have no infection. You are getting there!!
 
Ugh! Last night was one of the worst since week one. No idea why but I woke every hour and never really got comfortable or pain free. I think because of it I was tense, so this morning the leg aches and feels sore. I know recovery is not a straight road but nights like last night are depressing. (Just venting).

It didn't help that a terrific storm is rolling through with very high winds. I could hear branches and debris crashing on the roof in the night. It should blow away late today so I am hoping for a calmer night.

Any tips on comfortable sleeping are most welcome.
 
Sorry you had such a restless night. Wind is one thing that keeps me awake. We live in a virtual pine tree forest & my thoughts always turn to one of those giant trees crashing through the roof!
As far as getting comfortable sleep have you tried stacking some pillows around you? Alternatively is there another room where you can relax & get comfortable?
Some Sleepy time tea might help to relax you but unfortunately nights like these may come & go. Rest.
 
I live on a farm at the edge of a forest so there was a lot of clattering on the roof last night. I thought Santa had arrived early!

Thanks. I use eight pillows to make a kind of nest with arm rests. When I turn on my side I put a pillow between my legs.

I used to travel a lot for work and would be away for seven or eight months of the year sleeping in various hotels. MY bed was always the most comfortable to come home to. Now I am having a very fractious relationship with it. O.K., I know it is not the bed's fault but I have to swear at something. I read somewhere that profanity actually helps with pain reduction to I am testing it to the max. :)
 
@Phoebie -sorry you had a restless night. I have been having them too-my whole body just is so sore. Maybe this is part of it & where we are in recovery? I had my friends flip my mattress last week, hoping that would help & it did for a couple of nights. If yours can flip or rotate, maybe try that? I hope someone can shed some light on this, bc I too am struggling for sleep.
 
Insomnia is a real bummer for many of us after surgery. It's generally not the meds, it's... everything about the trauma, discomfort, energy drain!

Definitely sleep whenever (and wherever it's safe and comfy!) - many of us sleep and/or nap in a recliner, or surround ouselves with soft pillows.

Icing, elevating, napping.... All help, but you might also consider some nonprescription remedies....

If you're lactose tolerant, a glass of warm milk! If you're not diabetic, a teeny bit of honey makes it even more comforting... plus milk is high in magnesium! Helps us relax!

If you aren't a milk drinker, or want an easier way to, an evening magnesium supplement has been very helpful for some members.

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it makes you drowsy; it's also included in some cold, flu, etc "nighttime" combination meds.

Low dose melatonin, sustained release - not for long term use but I have used for a week at a time without ill effect. It should be taken an hour to hour and a half before going to bed, and during that time stay in a dimly lit area to allow this hormone to activate.

Valerian root - an herbal remedy, it can be taken in capsule form but that dose might be high compared to my preference, herbal "sleep" blends that include a smaller dose of valerian and make me pleasantly drowsy. Plus the other tea flavorings make it nice tasting! Celestial Seasonings and Traditional Medicinals sell teabags by the box. Their sleep blends without valerian have never ever made me sleepy.

What finally worked for me: a mug of sleep tea with valerian followed by a 3 mg sustained release melatonin, immediately going into a dimly lit room and relaxing. When I got sleepy, turning off the light and lying down with my legs up on the Lounge Doctor. After a few hours I would wake, move the Lounge Doctor away, and sleep more.

Be aware: even benign herbals and supplements can interact with your routine or post op prescription meds, either making their effects weaker or stronger. If you're on meds you may want to check with your doctor or pharmacist, or even check online for interactions.
 
Thank you for the advice! I will think about what would work for me.

I was talking to my son today and he wondered if maybe my family doctor might prescribe something. I guess my first reaction is that if I were completely out of it I might move in a way that I shouldn't. And that, I think, is part of the problem. I have become hyper aware of not damaging my newborn hip and half of my brain is staying awake. Like a new mother.

The soothing tea sounds an idea. I could take a flask up to bed with me. I am already taking a magnesium supplement to promote healing.

It is reassuring, if frustrating, to know it is part of the process.
 
@mendogal thank you for the advice. I wondered too why my dr did not prescribe anything, as I’ve been complaining about this for a while. I did wonder too why my Dr has prescribed Robaxin instead of flexeril as muscle relaxer. My nurse friend said flexeril causes drowsiness, which I need.

@Phoebie i agree on being super cautious about hip & not wanting to be completely out of it. But people need sleep!! Agreed on frustration!!!
 
The weirdness continues.......

I took a walk outside on two crutches today. I wanted to see if my car battery was flat, as it has been sitting idle for over four weeks. Of course it wouldn't turn over so I am charging it over night. It was good to be outside and I walked well with two crutches. Almost normal, confidently and no limp.

So, back indoors I walked a bit without aids and I limped again. I discovered that if I even slightly touch a surface on my non operated side, I don't limp. So I tried walking with my non-operated side arm out to the side. No limp! I realise I cannot live like that long term - imagine crowded spaces - and my walks without aids are inside and for short distances. However, it made me wonder how much of the limp is psychological and needing to retrain my brain. I limped for over a year before my operation because it was very painful. Now it is not.

True story: We had a childhood dog that contracted meningitis. It manifested as a limp. The vet diagnosed and said it was 50/50 she would pull through. She did but for the rest of her long life, if ever you asked her if she had a bad leg she would start limping again!. :) I need to retrain my brain.
 
wonder how much of the limp is psychological and needing to retrain my brain. I limped for over a year before my operation because it was very painful. Now it is not.
This is a great point. When you've been limping that long, it has become a habit and, now that you don't need to limp to avoid pain, you do need to build a new habit of walking with proper gait. They say it takes 30 days to break on old habit or to build a new one.

Try to really focus on heel-toe walking for a couple of weeks and I'll bet you start to see things change. You may have seen this graphic before, but I'll share it here:

Heel-toe walking involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. Here is a visual
1639236580030.jpeg


It's important to slow down and concentrate through the entire step. It can feel awkward at first, but with consistent practice, will become more natural.
 
Two interesting "living beings are odd" stories in one post! I think you win today's award (no prize other than knowing you sure got our attention!!!!)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom