THR Phoebie's recovery THR- left side. Uncemented, minimally invasive posterior.

wonder how much of the limp is psychological and needing to retrain my brain. I limped for over a year before my operation because it was very painful. Now it is not.
This is a great point. When you've been limping that long, it has become a habit and, now that you don't need to limp to avoid pain, you do need to build a new habit of walking with proper gait. They say it takes 30 days to break on old habit or to build a new one.

Try to really focus on heel-toe walking for a couple of weeks and I'll bet you start to see things change. You may have seen this graphic before, but I'll share it here:

Heel-toe walking involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. Here is a visual
1639236580030.jpeg


It's important to slow down and concentrate through the entire step. It can feel awkward at first, but with consistent practice, will become more natural.
Yes, I am really concentrating on doing this. I shall continue as long as it takes to cure my bad habit. It is so weird that even with one crutch I do not limp on that leg. I shall continue my homework.
 
@Phoebie i am only limping when I’m sore & tired, which is usually by end of day. I’m guessing if you limped before surgery, it is a habit for you. You can break this habit-just practice & think about what you’re doing. I am already seeing when I do finally make it up my stairs-I won’t remember how to do it like it used to, normally-ha! I’m so used to good foot, bad foot now I have no idea how to walk up stairs like I used too. We just have to keep work extra hard to figure things out now.
Hope u have a good, restful night!!!
 
It is four weeks today since surgery. My consultant said I can drive at four weeks. I am planning to try tomorrow if I can sit comfortable and deal with the clutch O.K. Of course, I may chicken out.
 
@Phoebie-i think I started driving about that time-maybe a week later. Dr said to be off pain meds & self sufficient. I hope you can do the clutch!! Good luck to you.
 
@Phoebie-i think I started driving about that time-maybe a week later. Dr said to be off pain meds & self sufficient. I hope you can do the clutch!! Good luck to you.
I wimped out. My neighbour has offered to come with me for my first drive in case it becomes too much. I may take her up on the offer.
 
I wimped out.
That's ok!
Is there a big parking lot close to home where you can practice when empty until you're feeling comfortable?
You'll be back on the road before you know it. The feeling of regaining that independence
is...oh so good!:driver: Keep us posted, we'll Woo-hoo with you after your maiden voyage. :wink:
 
I wimped out.
That's ok!
Is there a big parking lot close to home where you can practice when empty until you're feeling comfortable?
You'll be back on the road before you know it. The feeling of regaining that independence
is...oh so good!:driver: Keep us posted, we'll Woo-hoo with you after your maiden voyage. :wink:
I live on the edge of a farm so the farmer has said I can drive the roads through the farm. They are not public highways. I also would like to drive to the local hotel for coffee with my neighbour, just for the change of scenery. And my neighbour is highly entertaining.

I went for my final wound check with the nurse today. The incision has healed nicely and no more dressings needed. No one wants to see me again unless I have a problem. My final consultation with the surgeon is a phone call at six weeks. I guess that's what they meant when they relieved me of a large sum of money at the hospital, waved goodbye and instructed me that my recovery was in my own hands. :shrug:
 
@Phoebie-You will do it when ur ready. It is a little scary, it still is for me. It is nice to have a change of scenery for a bit, but I have found for myself, once I get out-I want to go back home. It is usually when I feel like slight bit of uncomfortableness in my body. I guess home is my safe place!!
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Happy Weekend!
Happy Holidays!
Wishing you LOTS of HAPPY, Phoebie! :wink: :)
@Phoebie
 
Five weeks today and I decided to drive to the local town. I was almost out of basic painkillers and I really did not want to run out. The nights are still a trial. I am not sure if the daytime is distracting and I move around a lot more so I don't feel uncomfortable but I do at night. I have to move every couple of hours and that doesn't always work unless I get up and walk around a bit before returning to bed. I know it will get better.

Driving did not hurt at all but as I combined my trip to the pharmacy with a jaunt around the supermarket looking for Christmas chocolates for my grandchildren, I suspect I will feel it later or tomorrow. But most of all it was a joy to be free.
 
:yes!:
That's such a key milestone for each of our recoveries! And yes worth it even if it means extra rest and ice after.
 
Best part is getting your independence back & being able to drive & take yourself where you need to go.
This is not only a physical recovery but mental as well & having to rely on others to drive you places in those early days plays games with your mind!
Even if I didn't go far it was such a relief to get in my car & go to grocery store or the bank & listen to the radio.
 
Well done, I bet it felt good having a pootle around. Ice up before bedtime and if you are achy tomorrow, ice & rest x
 
I suspect I will feel it later or tomorrow
I hope you're feeling good today, Phoebie. No ill effect from yesterday.
Glad you made it out, hopefully more outings will happen soon.
Happy Tuesday!
 
My neighbour and friend has been an absolute treasure during my recovery. Checking on me and making me laugh. When I told her I had been out for a drive she said "You don't need me anymore!" :) Obviously, she was joking and I reassured her I would always need her friendship. And probably her help at times.
 
Just had my six week, five minute, telephone consultation with the surgeon. All restrictions lifted. I can fly to my family on Friday.

We ran through a few things. Consultant said don't do anymore exercises other than walking and normal activities. (I didn't mention I dropped down to almost none some time ago).

He said to keep the walking stick for outside activity as long as I needed to but probably would not need it after a couple more weeks.

Reminded me that the first twelve weeks I should treat the hip carefully, rest is still important. By twelve weeks he assured me I would not even remember I had a new hip. (Honestly, I doubt I will ever forget it).

When asked about anything that had bothered me I mentioned the flippin' swelling. He said that the blood thinners I was on would have caused a lot of that. I honestly did not know that. He said it causes more bruising and swelling than not taking them but the benefit of not getting blood cots outweighs the negatives.

Finally he said my old hip was one of the worst he had seen and he didn't know how I had managed for so long. Well, that's a long story but the short version is that it was the first time I could schedule the time to have the operation and recover.

Between us, I am stressing a little about the flight. Aspirin is no longer recommended for flying. Ibuprofen will help stop swelling. I have my flight socks, ice bag, and bed on board. Special Assistance at the airport. I can't really do more than make sure I stay hydrated and move around a lot.
 
By twelve weeks he assured me I would not even remember I had a new hip. (Honestly, I doubt I will ever forget it).
Although 12 weeks might be a little on the early side, you WILL reach a point in recovery where the hip will feel so natural that you do "forget" it's not original equipment. I think it happened to me at about the 10-month mark.

Glad to hear that you are cleared to fly, but sorry you are feeling stressed about the flight. It sounds like you are well prepared. Just take it slowly and carry that stick with you to fend off other travelers!
:flwrysmile:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom