Guest viewing is limited

THR Phoebie's recovery THR- left side. Uncemented, minimally invasive posterior.

I understand the emotions of having to leave & not see each other for awhile. My oldest son lives in Texas (I'm in Northeast) & every time we visit & it's time to leave, long hugs & tears.
 
On the plus side we were re-enacting the Battle of Agincourt this morning using armour and weapons made from cardboard boxes. I might need a rest. :)

Thank you @myglasshalffull. I think that is a big part of it. My focus has been on getting my operation done and then recovering enough to see my family. Soon I will be fully mobile and independent and need to make some big decisions. I think that is making me feel very unsettled. I am usually excited by new adventures and have taken some bold moves. My vulnerability these past months has made me doubt myself.
 
Hi Phoebie,
Aww, I feel for you, those grand babies are such a blessing in our lives! It can be so hard to say goodbye for an extended period of time. Reflect on the wonderful memories you're creating together to tide you over until you're together again. These are memories that will remain with them for life! Hopefully you're able to do video calls to stay connected and updated on their lives. They will feel your love, even though you're not physically present and look forward to when youre able to re-connect. Sending a hug and wishes for a brighter tomorrow.
@Phoebie
 
Thanks, we video call every Sunday and they always have things to tell/show me. However, being present for a couple of weeks really is wonderful. The ups and downs and I get to play for hours. I just read their bedtime stories for the last time this trip. They said their prayers and told me how much they enjoyed playing with me today. Sweet.

I am also aware that my visits are a novelty and they would probably get bored of me if I was here every day. :)

Happy New Year.
 
Hugs@Phoebie awe hang in there. I know it is so hard to say by to mine & she’s only 30 minutes away. And I can’t play like I used to either. It’s rough on us grandma’s bc our hearts want to do whatever they ask of us-and given normal circumstances I know you would have played today. Hopefully your next visit you will be ready to play!! Hugs from Louisiana :console2:obviously I just found the emojis-I hope I picked the right one!!
 
I arrived home early yesterday to a chorus of welcome bleats from the sheep in the field next to my home. They were very excited to see me until they realised I wasn't the farmer with their breakfast.

I have decided to remove all aids from the house. I managed without raised toilet seats, raised seating and walking aids whilst away. I shall keep my walking stick in case of a relapse and my flight socks for a while. Time to return/donate items.

One good development is that I can sleep on the operated side now and that is my preferred sleeping side. I still wake a couple of times each night and need a little support between the legs. I continue to have a slight limp but am working on it. It is like learning to walk again. We have exceptional cold weather here and that has caused some aching. My incision site is also waking up a little but nothing I am worried about.

Trying to plan some exciting things for this year to avoid a trip to the misery pit again. It will take a while to regain the confidence the post-op vulnerability filched from me. No one really understands it unless, like you guys, you have felt it.
 
@Phoebie agreed on the confidence. This one is a tough one and I’m yet to tackle it. But the supposed of everyone here is absolutely wonderful & so encouraging. I know my friends & family are just tired of hearing about it, or I think they are.

You made me giggle about the sheep.. lol. We don’t see many sheep in Louisiana.

Glad your home safely & have some things planned to do. You’ll have to lmk how the sheep are doing!!
 
Happy you made it home safe & sound. I'll only add if you still have even a slight limp while walking continue to use a walking aid. It's better to have good form than to limp.
No sheep here but about 20 squirrels every AM looking to see if the bird feeders have been replenished!
Our resident hawk nabbed 2 squirrels in 2 days. He/She was born here & usually only goes after smaller prey but he's a year old now so guessing he can tackle bigger animals. We also have an owl that hoot hoots every evening as soon as night falls. The joys of nature!
 
I am confused about the walking aids. My GP nurse said use two sticks or none at all and I do see that when I use one stick I limp more. My body falls back into the familiar limp I had before the operation. I feel confident walking with no aids and have to concentrate hard on heel to toe walking. As I speed up the walking seems to improve.

Weather here is awful. Snow in the night that melted and now torrential rain. The ground is saturated on the farm. I am going to take up the neighbour's offer to use the treadmill next week. Gentle walking.
 
I agree with the nurse. If one stick reinforces limping, use two when things are iffy, like outside or around people. As you feel confident without any, you can do without while safely indoors or practicing heel to toe walking.
 
I went out to run some errands today and realised I may have been a bit hasty in my recovery thinking. My limping is worse. It is not painful, it is just the hip replacement seems to shy away from weight bearing. I cannot work out if it is in my head but it does feel physical. So, I have three weeks before I have to take another trip away and am going back to the drawing board. I am going to walk outside using two crutches to build up confidence in the hip. It is an annoying set back as I assumed I would be walking normally by the end of this month. Ugh!

All other aspects of recovery seem to be going well. I also realise I probably did way too much over the Christmas break. I hardly used walking aids and probably stood for too long. I am not sure who I was trying to impress.
 
@Phoebie this recovery is filled with set backs-but you will & can do it. I have had my share. It is hard to get your mind to work with your body. Keep at it, they tell me it will come!!!
 
I am sorry. :console2:
It's disheartening for sure and I know you probably tire of reading this, but at only a smidge over two months post op, it is still early days in the entire scheme of things.

Your grandkids drew this and asked me to pin it on your thread, :snork:
[Bonesmart.org] Phoebie's recovery THR- left side. Uncemented, minimally invasive posterior.

Well....it looks kind of juvenile, doesn't it? Can't blame me for trying. :wink:
@Phoebie
 
Ah, thanks for the reality check. Yes, I realise I was getting way ahead of myself.

Full disclosure: Before my operation I was limping badly for quite a while and especially in the year before. I honestly used to be jealous of people walking normally. I used to wonder if I would ever walk like that again. The idea of striding confidently down a road, not a limp in sight, is a dream.

A friend of mine had both hips replaced some time ago and still has a slight 'off' gait to her walk. I guess most people wouldn't notice it but I had this determined plan to NOT have this. I may have to lower the bar of my expectations.
 
@Phoebie YES you will!! I’m a bit ahead of you & I just started having really good days. So there is hope!! Patience is hard during the last couple weeks or months-but it does all come together & you are going to make it!!!
 
The latest: Yesterday one of my molars cracked whilst eating a Carr's table cracker. (Not at all hard) Just wow. Out of nowhere my tooth cracked. It was uncomfortable for a short while but then seemed to settle back into place. It was late so I could not call a dentist until Monday. I was ultra careful cleaning my teeth and use an antiseptic mouth wash. I am not in pain but have avoided eating on that side. A great excuse to eat soft comforting food.

Of course, my mind started racing about possible infection (no evidence yet) and it spreading to my new hip etc. I reined in my imagination and will call the dentist first thing tomorrow and explain the situation. At least to get some antibiotics and an early appointment to deal with the tooth. I should say it is NOT routine in the UK to administer antibiotics unless there is definitely an infection. Only dentists can prescribe antibiotics for the mouth but if I explain about the hip etc.

So tonight after my bath (love getting back into a deep tub) I sat on the bed to watch some TV and relax. I wanted some comfort viewing and picked out Grey's Anatomy. You all know it? Kind of soap opera-ish medical drama. The episode is about a hip replacement that got infected and the guy had his legs amputated. Why? Why did I watch that! :shrug: :) Why that episode? I usually only watch it when I am travelling and need to switch my brain off.

Anyway, I am not in any pain around the tooth except I keep poking it with my tongue and am being very careful until tomorrow. I may also call the surgeon's office to double check the situation.

It's like every time one thinks things are moving along a set back rears up to laugh in one's face.
 
I understand your anxiety, @Phoebie. I had a similar experience.

I cracked a tooth 3 months after my hip replacement and required a root canal. That was in March 2020 -- in the midst of the pandemic shutdown here. The dentist put me on antibiotics, did the root canal, put in a crown and I held my breath -- but everything was fine.

Definitely call the dentist in the morning. I'm sure they'll address your concerns.



Oh, yes, and stop watching medical dramas during recovery! :wink:
 
So tonight after my bath (love getting back into a deep tub) I sat on the bed to watch some TV and relax. I wanted some comfort viewing and picked out Grey's Anatomy. You all know it? Kind of soap opera-ish medical drama. The episode is about a hip replacement that got infected and the guy had his legs amputated. Why? Why did I watch that
NO:xmark: Unbelievable. What are the chances of that episode. The risk is extremely low in otherwise healthy people, per my understanding. You're promptly addressing it and your dentist will be prepared take any / every precaution he feels is necessary. There's no need to worry, you're taking the right steps, Phoebie.

I cracked a tooth and need a crown right as the state ordered dental offices be shut down due to Covid. Like you, I was concerned and felt so uncomfortable going into my usually bright and cheery dental office with soft music playing, beverage counter set up, magazines everywhere and the office buzzing with patients. I walked into a dark office with one person behind the counter where there were normally five, was handed a mask and directed to use hand sanitizer. The tables stripped of magazines, not a single patient aside from myself and no coffeemaker, the beverage counter stripped bare. Comfortable padded chairs were replaced by plastic chairs! What...did they intend to hose them down at the end of each day. The dentist, not mine, but the lucky one chosen to see patients, during this nightmarish season of all our our lives, was double masked in what looked like a hazmat suit. I kid you not it was like the Twilight Zone in there. Ugh...those were NOT the days! I know your experience will be much better. lol :wink:
Keep us in the loop.
 
@Layla Your description is exactly what I encountered. Can't believe we have the same story!

The good news for @Phoebie is, we both survived it! :heehee:
 
Back
Top Bottom