TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

I have a little box that is almost the height of one of my steps here at home. I'm using that to try going up and down. I hold on to the frame. I can do step up now without holding on...but holding on feels better. I tried stepping down today and it was possible but not pleasant. What I'm trying to say is I try once every day. Starting tomorrow, week 7 starts, I will try once in the morning and once in the evening and so on until I feel confident to try it on real steps;-)
Today again I went down step over step backwards and it was ok. Not the best of feelings but simply ok.
 
Sorry @Pheebs52, that it was a blah day. We are right here with you sistah! I've had more than my share of them.

I laugh picturing you all going up and down stairs with your butts all stuck out. I am "afeared" @Celle is correct. You might be sad if you develop that bad habit if for no other reason your butt may get stuck in that position for stairs hee, hee. People say my left knee was a easy recovery although I didn't feel that way at all. I was actually going up a complete flight of stairs the correct way with my feet and not holding on. So karma caught up with me. It's all I can do to pull myself up the two steps to my porch since my second knee. Maybe one year I will climb stairs again....
 
Celle, I actually agree, though it might appear otherwise. Basically, I like to *try* something such as going down the stairs, as a way to gauge how my knee feels and what capabilities it has (or hasn't) at this point in time. It's not always evident to me if I am actually making any sort of progress unless I try something new. But...once I make a discovery of this type, I don't necessarily push for more. For instance, I can walk up the stairs, foot-over-foot, but, I don't do it often because my form isn't that good yet. I try to keep good form with whatever I am doing because I believe it's important to long term success.
 
@kmak81230, are you insinuating there are other topics of conversation beyond knees? Hilarious!

@VW54, look at you with your own special practice box! Brilliant!

@becticu, you've certainly had your share and then some of *blah* days. In fact, I'd say you've fulfilled your quota for the next 20 years. Now tell me, why on earth would you be *afeared* of getting your butt permanently stuck in that position on the stairs? Hmm, *major head scratching here*, lol.

I'm sure you didn't feel your left knee was an easy recovery, and really, who can say, other than you? No one. But there's no question it was a darn sight better than the right one. When you had the left one done, you had nothing for comparison, but now you do. Conventional wisdom tells us not to compare, but in your circumstances, who wouldn't?

Like you, today, I fell into that trap of thinking "What if it never gets better than this?" Even while thinking it, we both know that's impossible, right? So, why do we do it? It's crazy, isn't it? At dinner, I just discussed this very thing with my unflappable, quite sane, rational husband. As is typical, he managed to get me out of this particular rabbit hole; phew!
 
Unfortunately, we all go through the 'what ifs'. If we concentrate on them too much, they'll drive us crazy.
 
Well Sandi, I knew what you meant, so what does that say about me? LOL!
 
i know, Pheebs52, my friend uses Siri all the time sending me emails and texts with loads of mistakes. i notice in other people's messages also and have become desensitized to the mistakes, knowing they are probably due to auto correct, which isn't always correct. sometimes it takes me awhile to figure out my friend's messages ~ so funny ~ it's like solving a puzzle.:what:
 
You had me at "you bet your sweet hippy"! I agree the hyper focus on my knee is getting old. The mental images of everyone butt out on the stairs has me smiling. Maybe another t-shirt idea with just a picture. Smarties will know what it means. :heehee:
 
Fell asleep sitting up on the sofa with laptop on lap. Woke at 3 A.M. in classic twisted pretzel position; aargggh!
 
Oh no, I hope you had that knee restrained so that you haven't become a contortionist! You had to have been really tired to do that girl! I see a nap in your future for today!:sleep:
 
oh gosh, how delayed I am on catching up. 4 pages! Sounds like you are moving right along. I too used our local contemporary Christian (commercial free) radio station for probably the first 3 months, every night. I played it on my phone app, every night, all night and I truly believe the comfort helped me sleep. (99.1 Joy FM is their app)

- My hubby is an elevator mechanic and said always, always, hold on to the rail of the escalator - they are very dangerous! So, we all have reason to be nervous about them. As a child, my mother had to count to 3 with me to step on. One time, I didn't go and stayed at the top lol. She had to come back around and get me (can't remember if I ever went down or not)

- Going down stairs. You're doing great! But, as I think Celle mentioned, it takes a long while. I am 6 months and I still must hold onto the railing and take it slow and easy. That was my last usage of the cane. I brought it upstairs overnight, just so I would have it to use in the morning to go down the stairs foot over foot.

- yep, the only time cortisone helped this right knee was the very first injection and it lasted 2 weeks before the knee popped and blew up on me again, so I went in for the scope. 2015. That was the beginning of the end of any pain free days. :) I would just like to have a little relief before I undertake the knife in Dec. or Jan.

I'm hoping you can find a way to stop the pretzel shaping from occurring during the night. More pillows between the knees?

Again, you're doing great!!! More and more freedoms are just around the corner now that you're driving more. :)
 
Well Smarties, I did try to go back to sleep at around 8:00 this morning. I may have slept for 15 minutes or so, but just lying flat felt good so I stayed there until now. Color me lazy! The *pretzel position* didn't affect my knee, just my aching back. I think that's a plus; must ponder.

@jaschembra, pssst: "Great," is not a term I associate with my recovery. It's a nice thought, just not reality yet. I'm working on maintaining a "rational recovery perspective." Those are my husband's words (surprised?) and I am a "work in progress." Doesn't that just ooze with testosterone?

Here's a story for your husband. Yesterday, I got temporarily stuck on an elevator. First, it wouldn't stop at my floor, just kept going. Next it started going down, but past my floor. Then, it just stopped somewhere, floor undesignated, with no doors opening. A very unusual looking fellow (really understated) was onboard with me and asked if he could press the buttons instead of me. I said "Sure, why not?" After 39 jabs, when it finally moved, he smiled broadly and told me he had "The Magic." By the looks of him, he just may have, lol.

Becky, I really think the straight jacket is in order. I look on Amazon.
 
@sistersinhim, lol! I suffer from the opposite syndrome. PT is always telling me to squeeze my butt when I'm doing certain exercises 'cuz he can't tell if I am. I tell him I am, but I have *pancake butt,* so it's not evident. He just doesn't seem to understand the ramifications of that condition, lol. I think butts are like hair....we want what we don't have.:snork:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom