TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Hope a night of good zzz's helps that bratty knee go down VW54! Ice pack to bed....again.
 
I'm a little late to the discussion on escalators and walking.

I'm so glad to hear others of you don't like escalators. I've never liked them - I have to wait and have several steps go by before I will go. I know it really irritates people in the airport, but it is what it is. I hadn't even thought about it now with the new knees. I will definitely be looking for an elevator next time!

I will try the walking downstairs backwards. With having both knees done, I keep telling myself I should be able to go down normal, but a definitely have a good and bad knee.

For walking, I definitely have the straight leg walk after I've been sitting down too long. I am trying to look forward when I walk, because if I look down, I think my right foot is turning in. It's not - it just had started to turn out prior to the surgery.

I won't be checking out Amazon - but I hope everyone get great deals! If I were working, I'd be right there with everyone else getting those things that I just "have" to have!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
IowaNana, I think I know where every elevator is in every store around here. I always seek them out in airports as well. Anything to avoid the escalator! My mother also had escalator phobia, so perhaps it's genetic? LOL!
 
Good (?) morning Smarties! Last night here was not. I woke at 3:30 with the TKR leg's foot attempting to make contact with my bum. No idea what prompted this....perhaps a nightmare about heel slides? It seemed to be quite serious about this maneuver since it clearly had been stuck in that position for awhile and stuck is the word. 'Twas really nasty! Needless to say, moving it was a very slow, ouchy proposition that led to a limpy/gimpy much too early stroll about the house. Bad Deja-Vu, ya know? It seems the skin around my knee also found this nonsense most objectionable...yep, the sunburnt sensation has returned. I've had better nights.
 
OUCH! How does this happen??? :tantrum2:Trying not to laugh about "dreaming of heel slides" . . . seriously though I hope you can recover from this little setback. As I was trying to figure out what caused my latest flareup I wondered if I had been contorting myself in my sleep as I have actually been sleeping for several hours at a time- then thought "nah" - clearly now that is a possibility. :gaah:Get some good napping in today and look for that leg immobilizer for tonight.
 
Oh yes, yes I know that all too well. I wake myself up because in my dream I was trying to push off on the bike and then I dreamt I fell and it was my knee bent at more than 90 and owowow!
Mind I haven't been on a bike outdoors for over 2 years but I so do miss biking. I went everywhere on a bike in my 20s and 30s.
 
@Pheebs52 Oooh, that sounds painful. Muscle cramp? Or just bent awkwardly for too long? Hope you get some sleep today and have a quieter, less painful night tonight.
 
I guess I am living proof that we can sleep *wrong*; hah! @VW54, I also used to love cycling but haven't been on a bike for about 3 years. Not sure I would ever feel psychologically comfortable on a road bike again; hard to say from this perspective though.

@gertie, it wasn't a muscle cramp, but felt similar. It was just bent too far and very awkwardly for too long; pffft! Of course, no serious damage but it's definitely not happy with me today. I just went out to Walgreens for some Tylenol, and it's about a 2 minute drive and I only spent 5 minutes in the store, but I was sure glad I had the cane with me. In fact, it's a cane-day in the house. Oh well, it could certainly be worse, eh?

That sunburnt sensation is still going strong though; aargggh!
 
Hahaha, Jennszoo, you might be onto something there! If only it would work in my case!
 
Funny, I've been sitting here shopping bikes. My hubs gets his bonus this week and I'm thinking of treating myself with a bike or a kayak. I wouldn't ride on the road though. I don't trust drivers. We have a lot of paved trails around here.
 
I always rode paved trails Jenn. Too much crazy, city traffic here. Additionally, now that I am half-bionic, and also up a bit in years, the risk of a fall just doesn't seem worthwhile to me. As such, I'd go for the kayak, lol.
 
I've been eyeing some stand up paddleboards - I think that activity may be in my future. I'm just hoping I don't have to give up hockey - am hoping to be able to skate some by October - probably wishful thinking. Right now I'm satisfied with six hours of uninterrupted sleep - ah, the simple things in life.
 
Sleeping "wrong" is terribly easy to do. My Lefty will only tolerate certain angles; any other angle and I have to deal with a cranky, painful knee come morning. I have no clue why one angle works and another, often less bendy, causes problems. One good thing, though, is that my knees recover much more quickly from bad positioning than they used to! A "bad" night doesn't last much longer than my morning shower now.
 
Yikes ! Sounds like knee was living a future that hasn't happened yet . Hopefully tonight will be better .
 
Susie, I expected this would resolve quickly, but the melody lingers on....pffft! It's that darn, still occasionally, tender medial area about the size of a quarter. For a small spot, it can sure cause a lot of aggravation! I'm trying to freeze it to death as I type!

I've always been a wild sleeper, and have actually fallen out of bed as an adult, so really, this little incident comes as no surprise. I've woken up with my head at the foot of the bed and more often, I awake horizontally across the bed. I probably have some sort of sleep disorder among all my other disorders, lol. And no, I'm not going to look into it at this stage of the game. It's very low on my personal Totem Pole; hah!
 
@kmak81230, the paddleboard does look like fun! Hockey? Hmmm, I dunno. For example, I used to be a pretty decent skiier, though I haven't gone for....7 years or so. Though I'd love to just get out there on an easy trail, not sure how I feel about falling. For instance, would I be able to get up? It's tricky on a slope even with natural body parts. Of course, falling in snow is different than falling on a skating rink. Landing on the ice sounds pretty scary to me.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom