BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[TKR] Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Pheebs52, May 21, 2017.

1. Pheebs52

Pheebs52

United States United States
    Good evening Smarties! I decided I should start my recovery thread tonight since I will be heading in for a new left knee tomorrow at 11:00 A.M., EST. This way, by the time I'm on the much desired, *OTHER SIDE* and have a moment to post, I'll have a place to come.:) I'd just like to take a moment to thank each and every one of you that helped me make it through the anxiety provoking waiting process; what a great group! Au Revoir!

• Like Like x 4
  2. jaschembra

jaschembra

We'll see you on the other side with your nice new shiny knee. I'm sure your reading materials will be here as well. Good luck tomorrow and check in with us when you can. You'll be in my BoneSmartie prayers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Red's Mom

Red's Mom

Hope all goes well for you! It can only get better in the coming days.

4. Pheebs52

Pheebs52

@jaschembra, I know my knee will be shiny tomorrow....not sure about my brain.:) Thanks for the good wishes and Bonesmartie prayers!

5. Pheebs52

Pheebs52

@Red's Mom, isn't that the truth? Thanks so much for your good wishes!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jennszoo

Jennszoo

Best of luck to you.

7. Pheebs52

Pheebs52

Thanks Jennszoo!

8. knit2tog

knit2tog

Good luck tomorrow. I will keep you in my prayers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. truckinguy

truckinguy

Good luck.. ..At 68 yrs old now ..Mine have been done now for 3 yrs and 5 yrs.. I hike now 9 miles and 2900 ft gain into the rugged mountain trails..bolders,steep gravel laden trails,roots and washouts,etc. love my new knees... I shouldn't of waited so long to do them..
    Do your therapy and give yourself at least a year to get it to be comfortable and very functional. It takes a long time...and you'll go thru phases... but I was doing small hikes at 3 1/2 weeks.. for outside therapy.. so hang tough and you'll be off and running before you know it pain free..

• Like Like x 13
  10. SusieShoes

SusieShoes Forum Advisor

I'll see you soon as you post. Sending you wishes for a good surgery!

11. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

Pheebs, here are your recovery guidelines. Look forward to hearing from you!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

12. karenalberstone

karenalberstone

Good luck. It will be amazing. I am 4 days post op and feel amazing. U will too. Best wishes for a wonderful surgery

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

13. Ozziegee

Ozziegee

Pheebs, I hope by this time you're resting comfortably with your brand new knee.

14. Pheebs52

Pheebs52

Good evening Smarties! Thanks so much for all the well-wishes and prayers. It's wonderful to have a group like this to come home to once on the other side.:happydance:

I am home now, resting, but not terribly comfortable at present. I'm so tired and drugged up I can barely keep my eyes open, so I'll just obey that signal and take a much needed nap. I'll be back tomorrow, hopefully with a little more clarity than today.

• Like Like x 2
  15. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

Good to hear from you, Pheebs. Sleep as much as you can, but set an alarm to take your meds.

16. Red's Mom

Red's Mom

Don't expect too much clarity in the first days. Just stay ahead of the pain, stay hydrated and rest! Glad your home!

17. Pheebs52

Pheebs52

Hahaha, Red's Mom, I don't expect any clarity for a while and that's just fine. :idea: I'm a natural born space-shot anyway.:)

KarriB, I did set my alarm last night, but...my knee woke me before the alarm could kick in. Still, I only woke twice during the night, so I felt that was pretty darn good less than 48 hours post-op. Both times, I got up, took the Oxy and Tylenol, iced and confined the walking to just the post-op shuffle between bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. Thankfully, I was able to get back to sleep quickly.

Today, the VNA people are coming, but I'm not sure how many. I think it might just be a nurse today, but I'll find out soon enough.

I'd say my knee/leg are moderately swollen per the pictures here, but I think it's actually gone down a smidge overnight.:)

I must share my one bad experience while in the hospital and though it was awful, I hope it can help someone else who is still on the pre-op side. I had a spinal and some sort of sedative during the surgery. Once sensation began to return down to my upper thigh in the non-operated leg, I was supposed to receive some IV Dilaudid and IV Toradol. Well, it didn't happen that way. The Recovery Room nurse didn't hang the Dilaudid until I had sensation in my right foot. Unfortunately, that was much too late and I ended up with severe pain, shuddering and chattering teeth, and tears I just couldn't control. It was, without a doubt, the most extreme pain I've ever experienced. It took several hours of abject misery to get things under control, but eventually they did. Had I known in advance when the IV Dilaudid should have been pushed, it would have saved me this experience, so for those who have not met the surgeon's knife, find out what his/her protocol is and open your mouth until you get what you know you need.

Today, because I am icing, elevating, resting and taking the pain meds by the clock, I actually don't feel all that bad; phew! Sure, it hurts, quite a bit with certain movements, but all things considered, it's a tolerable level of pain. The leg-lifter (dog leash in my case) makes a huge difference, as does a very good nurse in the form of my husband.:)

• Like Like x 6
  18. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

I experienced similar extreme pain the day after surgery, so much I couldn't advocate for myself. I could only text my bff "PAIN". She came to the hospital and made sure I got something to help, enter an IV push of Toradol. When it's time for the left knee I will be asking the OS to include that in his orders so I don't have to wait again.

19. Pheebs52

Pheebs52

KarriB, I definitely couldn't advocate for myself, but DH was there and he could. Thank goodness your BFF was available, eh? About 15 minutes later the surgeon came in to see me and was horrified, which, to be frank, did my heart good. I'm sure the nurse heard some choice words, but I certainly couldn't utter any; pffft!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. SusieShoes

SusieShoes Forum Advisor

Oh gosh, so sorry to hear of your recovery room experience. I had spinal also and, though my worst experience was of extreme chattering and chill (they wrapped me in a warm blanket but it took a half hour or more for me to feel "unfrozen"), I can honestly say I never felt any pain. So my team must have done it right. Hope your caregivers got chewed out royally for letting you feel that much pain.

Your DH sounds like a keeper. Our loved ones are the best advocates. You do realize you'll have to reward him at some point, right? How lucky you are to have gone right home. Home is the best. Comfortable and safe, and you learn everything you need to do in place.