TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

I had to quit skiing a couple of years ago as my knees couldn't stand riding on the chairlift. The hanging with heavy gear did me in - the little resort I ski at does not have the bar to rest your feet on the way up the mountain. I hear you about falling and getting up -- though know lots of folks out here who have gone back to skiing after TKRs. I could take or leave it I guess - though I have not gotten rid of my skis so I probably want to try it at least one more time. I just love hockey though - and we wear lots of padding! I try to play with people my own age and skill level so we are all moving pretty slowly and we try to avoid each other as best we can. My OS said the new knee would be fine - but I expect my first fall will be scary.
 
Kmak, if you love it and you have the blessing of your OS, I say give it a whirl! After all, we got these knees done so we could resume our normal lives, right? In my case, there has been a 7 year gap with skiing, so I'm rusty. Still, I *think* it would all come back to me, but I wouldn't try any black diamonds or even intermediate trails initially. Strictly the green and easy. The ski-lifts here don't typically have the foot rest, but there a few places that have gondolas, my personal fave!
 
I also X-Country/Backcountry ski and used to Telemark. That last is definitely not even a consideration, lol.
 
Ouch! I can only imagine what it took to straighten! On another hopeful note, do you think it will give you more ROM?
 
Hah, I sure hope it does Dvannie! Every cloud has a silver lining, right? That said, I'm not doing any heel slides today; pffft! I have PT tomorrow, so that should be interesting.
 
Telemarking is so pretty to watch -- my knees could not bend like that so I never learned. I do like to X-country ski as well - I've heard that a fall with Nordic skiing could be tricky because of the length of the ski and potential torque to the joint - I will have to research it more. I could be satisfied with snowshoeing if Nordic is not in the cards. We must be hot . . . . talking about all these winter activities.
 
Telemarking is a stunning visual when done well, almost like ballet on snow. My older brother (69) still does it, but he doesn't have any knee or hip issues. Sounds like I'll have to research the X-Country as well then. Other than my first few attempts at Nordic, I really never fell, and getting up with a free heel is easy. There's also no danger of a young snowboarder whizzing by your head while sprawled on a slope, so that's a perk!:heehee: For me, Alpine always meant a few falls, some better than others, but I was always trying for a tougher trail back then. Now, I'd be doing the exact opposite.:SUNsmile:

I've tried snowshoeing a few times but wasn't thrilled. It bothered my back and it's just so s-l-o-w and plodding.....kinda like my present walking style, lol. But, there are those who love it.

It IS humid here today, not my favorite weather unless a swim is involved.
 
Wow Pheebs, I thought I was a restless sleeper but you've got me beat by a mile! I sure hope the experience at least gives you a little more rom once it settles down.
 
@Pheebs52... OUCH! No... Double ouch... even triple ouch. I hope you knee behaves tonight!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sandi4213 , I think it just may have, lol!

@IowaNana, so do I; aacck. I don't want to develop "fear of sleeping," especially since I've only recently begin to sleep 7-8 hours again. Perhaps I should look for a straight-jacket....we must have one here somewhere.:heehee:
 
After searching the house last night, I did find a reasonable facsimile of a straight-jacket for my knee, left over from my arthroscopic surgery. You can bet your sweet bippy I wore it to bed last night and I think it really did help prevent me from twisting my knee into some painful, awkward position. At any rate, it wasn't worse this morning, and I didn't seem to toss and turn as much as I usually do.

I had PT today and it was just such an effort, psychologically and physically. I just wasn't into it, my flexion hasn't improved, just stays stubbornly static, and so, I would characterize this afternoon as a "Pull the covers over my head," kinda day. At 7+ weeks now, I'm just weary of all things knee-related. If I could pull a Rip Van Winkle for a month and wake-up *cured* I'd do it.

On the good news front, I tried a combo of @SusieShoes and @kmak81230 instructions for beginners to go down stairs, foot over foot. I used the bottom 3 steps and stuck my butt out in a most unflattering angle, butt....it worked! I was shocked! Best of all, it didn't hurt, always a plus. That said, I won't be attempting all 13 stairs anytime soon, hahaha!
 
Yeah for you on the stairs . . . stick with 1 or 2 for now and build up your confidence. I have to admit I've not been practicing the foot over foot forward quite so much since learning how to fly down the steps backwards - thanks for that tip Pheebs! :wink: This recovery does become "old" and I think all those around me are getting tired of my dedicated focus on all thing related to my left knee. I'm rather sick of it myself. I might even be satisfied with the Rip Van Winkle for a month without the "cure" -- I'd at least have a little more energy to put up with the stops and starts of this recovery. Glad you found the "straight jacket."
 
I'm with you @Pheebs52 and @kmak81230 I think we are all getting tired of everything being focused around our darn knees! ( and mine are chubby ones to boot! Lol) I have been practising my foot over foot going up the stairs and can almost do it without using the handrails. Coming down that way is another animal! I can go foot over foot if I have my body angled to the handrail but I am going to try the butt out position! Thanks for the tip and this afternoon's laugh ladies.
I am feeling sorry for you @kmak81230 and the others who have returned to work in the early months of recovery. I am so happy I am retired and don't have that added stress on my knee, my brain or my attitude!
 
Isn't it fun to fly downstairs backwards Kmak? I really rather like it! Yes, this recovery does get old and can make us feel old on our funkier days. That just might be the very worst part, eh? I think a month on a large sailboat would do me a world of good. Of course, I'd hafta be able to swim....and of course, the answer is, "not yet."

Well, sistersinhim, I did it, but boy, it was not *pretty*! Still, I guess it's some sort of progress.
 
Canada35, stick your butt out as far as it can go; hah! Just try a few stairs like I did, 'cuz it's a very strange, *new* sensation. Wow, it sounds like you are doing very well going up the stairs; kudos! I don't do that every day....seems to be a mood thing for me. Also a back thing. If my back/hip are bothering me, I do it because it takes some pressure off.

Like you, I am also happily retired; phew! I really admire those here who have returned to work while coping with this:censored: recovery.
 
Good job with the stairs! Also, good job getting through pt on a day when you just don't want to be there. :tada:
 
Quite honestly, @Pheebs52 , I think it's too early to be trying to do stairs one foot at a time. It will come, when your knee is ready - and for some people that can take as long as 4 months. Like many other things in this recovery, there's no need to rush it. And I think it's better to wait until your knee is ready, rather than to assume unnatural positions in order to do it. You could be starting a bad habit if you do it the wrong way.
Going up stairs one foot at a time will come first, maybe even a month or so before going downstairs the same way.
 
I don't mind going to work much (though I do look forward to retirement in a couple of years). I should've waited a couple more weeks to be more comfortable at work and will do so with the next one, but I like having to focus on something else for a change, talking about non-knee topics during the day, and I now that I can sit for a spell without discomfort I think the rest of my body enjoys being off the couch for longer periods of time.
 
Back
Top Bottom