TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Oh, Mum also used to say "The first hundred years are the hardest." Hmmm, yes....indeed!
 
I will Kmak, and you enjoy every, single minute of beautiful San Francisco! I know you'll have a blast!
 
You have whatever day you need to have. I am glad you are taking the sabbatical from PT. Sometimes you need take a step back and reframe to move forward again. Enjoy your walk in the woods. I know you will enjoy it.
 
There's nothing wrong with taking a break! We are so focused on our knee(s) during this recovery, that it's nice to just focus on something else for awhile. I really believe it's on step closer to our new normal.

I had dinner one night this week with a dear friend who has had both hips replaced. She said with both knees, about six months in, she woke up one morning, got out of bed, went about her normal duties, and then realized that her hip wasn't stiff and she hadn't gotten out of bed thinking about her hip. I know... six months is a long time, but when you consider how long we've been dealing with this before surgery, it seems doable.

I hope you have a great day!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Perhaps I'll repeat this on my thread: A funny thing happened today: For an entire afternoon, ok..ok for 2and a half hours, I didn't think *at all* about my knee. I was helping DH sort out papers.
Only noticed my knee when I got up to pick something from the floor and as I bent ...whoops "ah yes, my knee doesn't quite do that so well." Haha!
The past two lazy days with less than half of the home gentle exercises helped my knee. Really!
 
Hello Smarties! We've had a nice day spent furniture shopping. I had many moments when I wasn't knee-centric, but I didn't really time them. I should have, lol. We bought a lovely new recliner for me, my knees, and creaky back. This way, when I decide to have Number Two done, I'll have a much better chair for sleeping than I did this time around. Not that I'm in any rush for Number Two, but hey, it's good to be prepared, right? While it was nice to have the use of Mistah's recliner for sleeping, it's old, saggy, manual, and not a style I would choose for my comfort. He loves it, but I can't say I did.

So, no formal exercises today, but lots of walking, getting up and down from all the chairs, (tried about 20 of them) and stairs into the store and out. No pain per se with any of this, just the usual, annoying initial stiffness and clickety-clack when first standing up, but really, not bad at all. :egypdance:

@VW54, I love it! How cool was that, 2.5 hours with zero knee thoughts! Whoohoo!:happydance:

@IowaNana, your friend has done very well.:SUNsmile: I think it took me about a year before I woke up that way with just one hip done! However, I can say I never think about it at all now unless bursitis kicks up for some reason. I have zero awareness of it, and that's what I am hoping for the knee.:SUNsmile:
 
Pheebes, you already had plenty of exercise today just doing what all you did, and it was better for you knee than formal exercises! You were using it just as it was intended to be used!
 
Thanks @knit2dog, I know I will and will be happy to have it now.:SUNsmile:
 
Good morning Smarties! Today is the last of Week 8 for me and I'm pleased to state I am none the worse for wear after our big shopping expedition yesterday; yay! If anything, my knee just might feel a bit less stiff this morning, but I'm knocking on wood as I say this.:fingersx: It can still change on a dime as all of you are aware. Regardless, it's great to have a less stiff wake-up this morning....perhaps @VW54 really did make the switch with me? I guess I'll find out tonight; hah!

I'm still on my *kneecation* (no formal exercise) until next Wednesday when PT resumes, but will be heading out today to walk in a different, woodsy park than last week. Afterwards, we'll have dinner at a great, local clamshack which is part of what makes summer, *summer* here. There may be ice cream afterwards, hahaha!
:smile2:
 
Your week 8 sounds great to me, Pheebs. If I could I would transmigrate my own self over there for the clamshack part. I lived a few years forever ago in Providence and summer-waitressed in Orleans on the Cape working the lobster shacks for tips. A beautiful part of the world.
 
Hah, did you really @nensi? It really is a very small world, eh? Oh, Orleans is one of my favorite Cape towns. We usually spend a long weekend there each summer, mostly to enjoy the Nauset Marsh area and those wonderful beaches, Cahoon Hollow, Newcomb Hollow and Nauset, of course. I'll eat some fried clams in your honor tonight!
 
Pheebs, you're from Boston ! My husband and I lived in the Boston/Cambridge area for the first 14 years of our marriage. We loved it there!
 
Oh yum! Have some for me too! Yesterday I did a little bit of walking outdoors. Definitely still need my cane for stability but I am not sure if that is because of my op knee or my needing to be op knee! Last night I elevated and iced and only did a few stretches and heel slides. Woke up really stiff kneed this morning although I don't think I overdid it.
Will see what today brings!! If the rain holds off, I will go watch my grandson's baseball game this afternoon.
 
PS: I love Boston too. I worked for Gillette for nearly 25 years and our head office was there ( as I'm sure you know!)
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom