THR Palin21bug - Groin pain

That's what I gather. I feel tired and I try my exercise and walk. Did any of ya'll have to take a blood thinner for a while? My surgeon wants me to take 1 more a month
 
4 weeks I took 1 coated aspirin a day for blood thinner. I did ankle pumps and other leg movements to keep the blood flowing. Also a rolled towel under my ankle 15min out of an hour when reclining to keep the muscles loose.
 
Blood thinners post joint replacement are now the norm.

Read this article again Energy drain for THRs You are tired because your body is spending tons of energy healing. Don't worry about moving around more at this point. Just focus on rest, ice and elevation. Other activities will follow when you regain your energy.
 
Well look at that!
Sweet @zorys0225 took the time to offer you reassurance in the fact that you share the
same surgery date and similar stages of recovery. See....you're normal @palin21bug :yes!: :happydance: :yay:
I hope her post puts your mind at ease and makes your day!

Thanks for sharing that zorys0225 :ok:
 
palin, did you read the recovery articles left you in post #3 of this thread (that would be on page one and here)
In there is lots of information and advice about pain management, energy drain and so on. You really should go back and read them all because I get the feeling you never have done.

I am very concerned that you keep referring to doing exercises when one of the most important pieces of information there was this:

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.



However, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that

 
Hi Palin21bug, I took 81 mg of aspirin twice a day for 35 days. OS prescribed it to help prevent blood clots. Recovery and healing from this surgery does take time. Even when the days seem to blur into one another, it does get better.
 
Hi hon...
Wondering if you noticed that, Josephine, the forum Nurse would like to ask you some questions.
If you're willing she can offer you some advice and hopefully put your mind at ease.
Please post whether you're willing, or not, to answer her questions.
Thanks
@palin21bug
 
@Josephine shall be around to you Bug.

Hope that incision irritation is clearing up.
Have a restful day:ice:
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] Palin21bug - Groin pain


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1.pain 5

2. norco 10/325 1 every 6 hours. eliquos blood thinner for a month 2.5 mg 2xday.

3. moderate swelling

5. i ice off and on all day and night.

6. I elevate in recliner pretty much all day until I go to bed. I try putting some on in bed.
I walk around house as much as I can and walk outside. If only it wouldn't burn. I feel like that's what is making me limp to when I walk.
I walked a lot today thinking it will easy.


leg sitting in chair trying to straighten feel pulling feels like really static nerve burns in left calves laying on back trying to lift leg (straight leg raise hurts tight)
quad set supine
heel slides supine
supine hip abduction
short arc quad
long arc quad high seat..hurts in calf.
standing hamstring curls
squats with walker

physical therapy comes 3 times a week. this is the last week. I'm to do these 3 times a day, everyday.

Next week I have to go to physical therapy.
 
I had burning...zips AND zaps...weird sensations.. comings and goings...

Seems like a lot of unhelpful exercises...you know when things are helping or hindering after you do it.
Listen to your body.

I'm sending healing hugs:roseshwr:
 
Thanks Mojo. I went to Dr today. He said I looked well to him and everything looks good.
I told him that my calves burn and when I try doing leg raises with left leg, it burns in the calf and I can feel pulling behind leg. Just sitting down it burns. When I stand and try to walk it burns and I'm limping. He said give it time tomorrow, will be 2 weeks.

He sent me to have ultrasound on legs to make sure and to ease my mind there was no blood clots. Everything was good. I really think its the sciatic nerve inflamed. So I don't know how to ease it.
 
That's about par for the course for 2 weeks out.
2. norco 10/325 1 every 6 hours.
So you are taking 1,300mg of acetaminophen (Tylenol) every day. I calculate that you could take and additional 2 regular Tylenol (325mg) with each dose. This would add up to a maximum of 3,900mgs per 24hr which is within the permitted total. I think you'd be a lot more comfortable with that.
3. moderate swelling
About right for 2 weeks out.
5. i ice off and on all day and night.
Good
6. I elevate in recliner pretty much all day until I go to bed.
Okay, that's good.
I walk around house as much as I can and walk outside. If only it wouldn't burn. I feel like that's what is making me limp to when I walk.
I walked a lot today thinking it will easy.
I wouldn't recommend that. Did you read the recovery articles left for you in this post. It contains the article Activity progression for THRs which states

Week 2
Start on a plan of walks around the house lasting longer than 5-10 minutes but don't a) get into too much pain and b) get too tired. Stop before you get to that point.

Activity: do some tidying up, a little bit of meal prep and maybe some washing up so long as someone else dries and puts it away!​

Week 3
Lengthen the walks to about 15-20 minutes once a day, maybe twice a day if it doesn't cause your hip to be painful.

Activity: prepare yourself a meal or help prepare a family meal but not all of it. A little bit of laundry but not all of it.​

leg sitting in chair trying to straighten feel pulling feels like really static nerve burns in left calves laying on back trying to lift leg (straight leg raise hurts tight)
quad set supine
heel slides supine
supine hip abduction
short arc quad
long arc quad high seat..hurts in calf.
standing hamstring curls
squats with walker
You can see that I've crossed all these out. That's because we recommend NO exercises and NO PT.

This is because hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
physical therapy comes 3 times a week. this is the last week. I'm to do these 3 times a day, everyday.
I disagree. I think you should not do them AT ALL! I'm quite serious. For hips, exercises cause far more problems and pain than they resolve!
Next week I have to go to physical therapy.
I suggest you don't. It's entirely your choice. If you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
Hi @palin21bug
Hope you're feeling a bit better.
Please take, Josephine's advice. At least try. I think your pain will decrease.
You don't have to go to PT. It's your choice. If you insist, why don't you at least postpone it for a few weeks and just see how you're doing. It can't hurt, right?

As far as baths, you have to call the office of your OS and see what they recommend. This varies greatly across the board among Orthopedic Surgeons just as blood clot protocol does. The advice I received was 3 months which was way longer than many others. Call your OS and talk to a member of his care team.
Wishing you a good day!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom