Guest viewing is limited

THR Palin21bug - Groin pain

Thanks everyone. I tried doing a few exercises but it hurts. I just cant seem to move, lift or slide that left leg. I'm in recliner, trying to rest a little. I know they don't wanted you laying about too much. I just started getting muscle spams in my left thigh. ouch.

My sofa's too low so I cant risk getting on them. Recliner is only thing. I have a chair I can sit in. I try and walk as much as I can. Exercises hurt. I'm 6 days out.
 
You can do more later. Don't worry about it. Walking to the restroom...getting up and going for more ice, walking slowly down the hall...it's enough for now.
Wiggle your legs and feet while sitting in recliner.
You aren't behind!
 
You don't have to do a lot of exercise. Just walking around the house is enough.
In the first month post-op it's all about resting and letting your hip heal.

I'm glad the poop fairy finally visited you. You may have to keep taking something to help avoid constipation for as long as you are taking narcotics.
 
Hi @palin21bug
You don't really need to be exercising right now. Did you notice The Big Tip in the Recovery Article?

Big Tip ~
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Right now a five minute walk every couple of hours is plenty.

Please read the Recovery Article as it may answer a lot of your questions. If it feels too difficult to absorb right now, ask your husband to read it outloud to you as a lot of the information is beneficial.
Pay special attention to the "Activity Progression for THR" underneath # 5.
Use it as a rough guideline to determine how active you should, or shouldn't, be over the coming weeks.

A recliner, a bed and a sturdy chair, such as a kitchen chair, is about all you should be sitting or lying on at this point.

Muscle spasms happen.

Hope this helps...
 
You are so early in your recovery you should be resting, icing and elevating. With a short walk the kitchen/toilet every 50 minutes or so during the day. Leg lifts can cause more harm than good. They caused me really bad groin pain so I stop doing all the exercises I was given. It took my groin many many weeks to recover. Not doing these exercises will no way delay your recovery, in fact from my experience they hindered it. Please just let time do it’s magic. Be patient. I know that’s not easy as I have no patience but it really is the best way
 
Good morning. Night started out ok but didn't stay that way. I started getting
sharp pain in thigh also like a cramping feeling. I thought that groin pain was going and would never come back
 
Good Morning @palin21bug
You're one week post op already tomorrow. Time sure flies.
You are so very early into recovery that you're going to experience
many different sensations. I believe it was hikejunkie who recently
described it as the "traveling salesman of pain". Recovery requires a large dose of patience.
You will notice most of the pain you experience is short lived. Here one day, replaced
by something else the next.

Continue to Ice, elevate and rest. Then wait for next weekend so you
can compare how you've improved over the course of the week.
Hope today is a good one!
 
Thanks Layla. Well, just left the Drs office. They gave me a steroid injection because they said I am highly allergic to the adhesives and the solution used on my during surgery. Hopefully this clears up soon.

I will keep pushing everyday at my pace. Thanks
 
Layla - went to surgeon today since I had this very bad reaction/blistering hives on thigh and up side back and butt cheek left said reaction to drapes, prepping and or solution. They decided to give me a steroid injection it's so bad.

What did your doctor do, did he give you something to put on it?
 
I'm sorry! It's really too bad you are dealing with such a severe allergic reaction to materials
used in the OR. My reaction was from the tape alone. It left my skin bright red like it was burned.
I didn't apply anything, just let it disappear on its own.

Yours is obviously way worse since it needs treatment. Hopefully it begins to clear up quickly.
I hope your pain is well managed and you're able to rest comfortably. Don't forget to ice often :ice:
Wishing you a relaxing evening!
@palin21bug
 
Dr today said it was probably from draping or what was used for prepping. I am so miserable one downfall after another. I'm trying to stay positive. Well I noticed sometime back on forum that Josephine had something about chemical burns she saw about cloraderm cleaning solution but what can you do for it???!
 
Hi again...
First days can be rough. Hang in there, it will start getting better.
I'm not familiar with Josephine mentioning chemical burns.
Did the doctor tell you how long it would be before you begin to feel relief from the injection?
I hope soon. It sounds miserable.
@palin21bug
 
I wouldn't put anything on it ..in my experience, unfortunately most allergic reactions have to have time to clear up.
Poor bug.
Hang in there...what does doctor suggest you do for it?
Sending hugs your way.
 
Good Morning @palin21bug
Hope today is good! The days will begin to get better...slowly.
You're one week post op today....Yay! :yay:
Hope all the skin irritation you're struggling with is not affecting your sleep.
Sneak in some naps during the day if you're able. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.
Hugs!
 
Sleep great. Just went for a walk with my husband down the street. Not too bad. Still limping some. And burning in calves. If only this horrible reaction would go away. The dr just seems like 'oh no big deal'. If too bothersome use some cortisone cream but don't put it on the wound.

How long does it take for the log leg to let up? It's a week today and burning in calf.
 
I know the log leg is annoying but it will go away, little by little. It may take several more days so try
not to be anxious or annoyed by it. I believe your brain is telling your leg to move but the muscles and soft tissues are so traumatized they don't react. Your body is healing as it should. Trust that. It takes time and patience so be gentle on yourself. You'll notice improvement from weekend to weekend. Pay attention to that more than day to day. Less pressure on yourself.

It's great your doctor isn't concerned about your sensitivity / reaction to materials used during surgery.
I understand it's probably annoying but just like log leg it's healing more everyday. Patience is needed in large doses during recovery. Definitely keep any creams, or anything else away from that incision.

You're doing great! Now go take a nap :heehee:
Got to have some laughs during recovery or you'll go crazy, lol :hairpulling:
@palin21bug
 
Any advice..left hip replacement 1 week today. My left leg spasms so tight I cant get comfortable trying to sit up a while on sofa.

I tried laying for a while with pillow between legs on right side. I'm still dealing with this severe allergic reaction. Going to dermatologist in am to see if there is something they can do. Wish me luck with all of this my friends and prayers
 
Good evening,
I'm sorry that irritation is so bothersome. Hopefully you find relief through your visit with the dermatologist.
Wondering if you feel your pain is well managed? I'm asking because of your leg discomfort. Consider calling the office of your OS if you feel your meds could use adjusting OR you could try the supplement Magnesium for the spasms. It's great for many things:
Bone health, Cardiovascular health,
Supports muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)
Supports healthy blood sugar

Check out this article.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Prayers for relaxation and restorative sleep tonight :prayer:
@palin21bug
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom