Guest viewing is limited

THR Palin21bug - Groin pain

Not alot of advice on sitting up on sofa...that leg wants to be elevated.
Hope you are keeping it frozen as much as possible..
Would think that would also help annoying irritated skin...obviously making sure you have a layer of protection, cloth or something, between ice and your skin.
This is the tough stuff...there will be other stages of pains that come and go, bug.
But they go at some point.
And NO HIP PAIN.
Sympathy hugs :loveshwr::friends:
 
Last edited:
Well went to dermatologist today. Starting me on a strong cortisone cream. Praying this clears up the reaction matter. He said it was either the surgical draping, the tape or prep they used.

Today I'm limping.....I don't know why I can't get this leg going??
 
Hi @palin21bug
Many limp for quite some time. Hopefully you are using a walker or cane.

As much as you'd like to...you can't rush the recovery process, your flesh was cut open and power tools were used. There is a lot of healing that needs to take place and it takes time. You're only 8 days post op.
Take advantage and get lots of healing sleep in if you're able. Ice and elevate when your sitting or laying down.
I really think it would be beneficial if you could engage in something to occupy your mind, distracting you from your temporary limitations.
Best wishes for a peaceful day.
 
Hi again,
I know you are trying, sweetie and you seem to be doing just fine. It's hard to think about you worrying so much. I understand the frustration with the allergic reaction irritation on your leg. It must be miserable but as far as your recovery is going it all sounds very normal. I'll bet you've noticed some improvement yourself since you've been home, right?

Sometimes boredom comes into play also, that's when I found it helpful to do something that made me forget about recovery for a time. A mental break of sorts.
Hope you're having a good day!
@palin21bug
 
Any advice - my legs practice left is killing me with spasms. What can I do? And where is the best place to place ice?

How high can I stack pillows under legs
 
I would ice my quads at times, wrap ice around side to my hips sometimes, toward my groin sometimes, wherever it seemed to hurt or ache.
I put low pillow under my knee as too high caused my lower back to ache.
It has only been barely over one week for you...everything is still traumatized. Make little walking trips, even if that leg doesn't want to listen...it will come around.
Hoping you have a better day
 
Good Morning!
Below you'll find an article on ELEVATION from the Recovery Article that Jaycey left you under Post No. 3
Please take the time to read the article. It will be worthwhile. I think it may answer a lot of your questions.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/pain-and-swelling-control-elevation-is-the-key.7602/
Here's one on ICING too, from the same Recovery Article...
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/
Hope this helps. Wishing you a peaceful day!
@palin21bug
 
Hi @palin21bug
Read on another thread the irritation around your incision is still bothering you.
Wondering if you're icing your incision and if so, how often? I'm wondering if it would
soothe the irritation at all because you mentioned it's warm in REM's thread....
Hope you're having a good day.
 
@palin21bug You will notice I moved posts above to your own recovery thread. Please keep all questions and updates on your own thread so that we have a history of your situation and can advise if needed.

You are only days out of major surgery. Please calm down and rest. Stressing about every ache and pain is not good for you. Rest, ice, elevate and take your medication. All this will ease. Just give it time.
 
@palin21bug
Sorry you're having pain. Yes I had horrid muscle spasms around my knee and quads immediately after surgery and continued for about three 1/2 weeks. The OS gave me Valium which is a good muscle relaxer as well as the anti anxiety med. Worked well for me as I cannot tolerate some of the newer muscle relaxers. I had to stop all PT exercises and Around week 3 1/2 I was able to walk around more and this greatly helped the spasms. Call your OS and discuss your symptoms they can probably adjust your medication.
I also found that elevating both legs with two pillows like the articles posted here on bonesmart helped.
I also used my gel pack ice packs from the grocery store, wrapped in a towel for at least 45 -60 min at a time in one spot. These packs stay frozen for 8+ hours! I would move them from incision site to groin to quad to knee to low back and then start all over again. 24/7
This was such a help with the pain.
I am 6 weeks out and I wont lie its been slow recovery for me but you will get through it. 11 days is very early dont over do it - I did and it set me back, just a warning. This is where our patience is tested.
 
Hugs and prayers for a peaceful night:friends:
 
The pain is a constant changing thing and I still have some pains,itches and pinches. I had a rash above my incision at about 2wks, Hydro-cortisone cream cleared it up. I moved my icing constantly starting high on my glutes, working my way down then full on the thigh, onto the groin and then to the knee. At 2 weeks I was incredibly frustrated with the rash which itched, the itching of the tape on the incision, and I could not get comfortable in any chair or the car. Bought a new chair and by the 3rd week I was happy again and on to the next plateau.
 
Rashes! Ugh! I had a reaction to the naseau patch with itching and hives on my neck. I had little blisters all over my back from only being able to sleep flat for the first 25 days after surgery. I came home from hospital with athletes foot on the bottom of my right foot. Got some cream for my foot. Took Benadryl for the allergic reaction and had hubby dust my back at bedtime with cornstarch. I’m grateful that I did not have a reaction to the tape or glue this time. Sometimes my skin reacts to surgical tape and even steri strips, but not this time. I think our immunity contributes to these types of reactions and when we have been in bad shape overall, theses stressors make our reactions worse.

Happy the poop fairy came for you. I went 10 days straight without a BM. It was hard enough to get on the toilet in the first place and sometimes the pain of that process made the going even harder. Constipation makes me cranky. Mini wheats, dried prunes and milk of magnesia worked for me.

I hope it’s getting better for you day by day. There will be good days and not so good days. I kept a journal of the first couple of months to refer back to when I get discouraged now so I can see just how far I’ve come in my recovery. I tend to forget that sometimes myself.
 
Hi @palin21bug
I hope today is a good day. One of these days will be a turning point for you. A time when
you realize you've got this. Aside from your skin reaction, which must be getting better each day,
your recovery sounds like slow, boring old recovery. No different from anyone else's.

Wondering if you've been outside yet? Aside from your visits to the OS and Derm for the rash.
Maybe a little R&R outside, taking in the sights and sounds of nature may be just what the doctor ordered.

Make today a good day! We'll be here rooting for you....
 
Thanks Layla. I so need some encouraging words. The rash is getting better. Just more energy - hurts to walk. Legs just feel so weak. I will make myself go outside and walk today.

I'm never sick thank God. I stay on the go. I guess that's why it's so hard. Then I think I caught a stomach bug. Stomach all messed up. Hopefully it gets better for me soon. I'm so ready.

I just feel I should be moving around more. The moment I start walking my calves start burning. Legs feel like jelly.

I feel like that static nerve is so tight. I guess from me limping for so long.

i try and do exercise 3 or more times and walk in house all I can. I recline in chair. I try sitting up in this harder chair I have. I take showers. I know they don't want us bending over and cross feet and legs. I sleep on back. I try laying on non operative side with pillow between legs can for a little while but not long.
 
Hi again, @palin21bug
I am wondering if your stomach issue is from one of the meds you're taking. Look up side effects
for any meds you're on and see if it's listed. If so, you may want to talk to your OS about making a switch.
You do need to be moving but careful not to over do.

Read Week 2 in the Activity Progression for THR below as a rough gauge of what you should try to do.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
Maybe moving around some each hour will help loosen some of those tight muscles. :fingersx:
Hope you have a peaceful day.
 
You're 2 weeks out so weakness in your legs is pretty normal. I was white as a sheet for 2 weeks post op and it was easy to tire out my legs. I got on the exercise bike and my legs were rubber when I got off. This surgery is a butt kicker for sure. Diet is very important post op, your body is needing a lot of protein and I ate yogurt for my digestive system to get it back in order. Between blood loss, the trauma to your muscles and all of the antibiotics and other drugs your body needs to rebuild from scratch.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom