Guest viewing is limited

THR Palin21bug - Groin pain

@palin21bug
Yes what you are describing sounds familiar to what I experienced at the 2-3 week mark.
And honey I am 7 weeks and still limping, although it is much better than the two week markand only it I am without the cane. I could not bear weight at all on my surgical leg at two weeks. But now at 7 weeks I am starting to leave the cane behind a little bit more in the house.
It's all baby steps and some people go through it fast and some people are slower. You may not notice big changes on a daily basis but you will notice you can do better at moving on a weekly basis, right?
Are you feeling any stronger than last Friday?

I still have some tight pulling in the front of thigh but it has improved greatly from the early couple weeks.
I used ice a lot. I bought the big gel packs for picnic coolers from the grocery store and they stay frozen for up to 8 hours! Wrapped in a towel and I would use it for 30-40 minutes in one spot then move around to another.
Incision site, top of thigh, low back, knee, back to incision pretty much 24/7. So if I was awake that gel ice was somewhere on my body. It was very helpful for me.
When in bed I would focus on trying to just let my leg lie flat, for a few minutes a couple times a day.
No exercises. Just let the leg relax flat. Hard at first but I would lay the ice on my thigh and just relax my leg.
It worked like a nice stretch
Like I said before you will get stronger little by little
 
@BeBe ,
Hi I tried taking a few steps without walker. 2 or 3 is all I could do. To wobbly or scared. Don't feel strong enough. Maybe it's a mind thing. I feel some pain in the thigh too, like a pulling feeling. I was so sore today
 
@palin21bug
That is within normal for your time period. It's not a mind thing at all. It's a healing thing.
You hip capsule and bones surrounding the implant need time to knit around the implant and stabilize it. This takes months to accomplish.
Your body is trying to tell you to be patient with the healing process.
No amount of mind over matter is going to speed the healing process so don't think it is a mind thing.
However, our minds CAN push us to some unrealistic expectations during this recovery process. We so want to move thing further along but that is exactly how injury and setback occurs. It happened to me so I don't want you to have to learn that the hard way. .
Try to be patient with your healing and you'll get there.
 
@BeBe,
Thanks babe I sure will. Do you have any recommendations for soothing the skin around the incision area?
 
@palin21bug going 'support-free' is scary the first few times....it's surprising how quickly we get attached to our canes! I felt just like you when I first tried, and rushed back to my cane (and that's only about 10 days ago....you're a month behind me so you're doing really well!) Just try lifting your cane for a couple of steps every so often....nothing heroic but you'll start to feel more comfortable with it and then you can do a few more.....the day you cross the bathroom and realise you've left your cane on the other side is the day you know you've cracked it! My leg felt pathetically weak at first,, and still sometimes get stiff and achy as if I've overstretched something right at the top of the front of the thigh, but usually an icepack sorts it out, and I can now go to the supermarket and do the shopping without the cane, and, as long as I haven't overdone it, with minimum repercussions. So you will get there, just listen to your body and take it slowly..... and give yourself a pat on the back when you do those 2 steps, you couldn't do them 2 weeks ago, could you? :yes!:
 
:wave:@palin21bug
Don't be too nervous to move some.
Don't need to be dizzy, but you will be wobbly and weak.
Things are going to feel weird, and feel pulled and sore.
Things can burn, feel numb, and all sorts of odd sensations.
All normal.
All temporary.
And all ice worthy afterwards.
We've been there and it keeps us guessing "is this normal" and it's this OK?
Just keep doing in small increments and know that
we are all rooting for you.
In a few short months you will start being really happy you can move forward with no hip pain:tada:
 
You're doing great. Baby steps...it really is baby steps. You'll get there @palin21bug
I hope you're gaining a bit more confidence each day. Consider where you were last Sunday in regard
to mobility and I'll bet you've improved a bit. Slow and steady will get you there.
Wishing you a wonderful day and week!
 
Thanks for your thoughtfulness in wishing all the mom's out there a Happy Mother's Day.
I hope you're having a good day yourself. Enjoy the evening!
@palin21bug
 
Good morning everyone... It's so hard to get going in the morning. I have to get out of bed then straight to the recliner in the living room. I start physical therapy today so we shall see how this goes.
 
@palin21bug did you not read the Big Tip in the articles I left for you on the first page of this thread. Hips really don't need PT. Walking is the best therapy and then not to excess. I really don't think you should be starting PT if you are already feeling very stiff.
 
Careful to not overdo with the PT if its only exercise driven.
Gentle stretching, massage, and help with how you are walking all OK.
Just don't want you joining the Over Did It Club!
 
It's so hard to get going in the morning.

I still find it hard in the morning....after spending so many hours on your back in the bed (or at least trying not to move too much) I find I'm pretty stiff and slow, quite lollopy (lack of sleep doesn't help either). I make a mug of tea and retire to my recliner until I get my second wind, and then a bit of walking around frees up my legs. I'm now nearly 8 weeks, and was worse at your stage, so you will get better, you have to resign yourself to being a tortoise, not a hare :wink:
 
I read my old posts where I bemoan how every day after resting (or trying to rest) at night...mornings felt like starting over.
Recovery issues can ebb and flow.
[Bonesmart.org] Palin21bug - Groin pain

Hang in there and keep the faith!
 
Hi @palin21bug
You've been quiet. I hope you're doing okay...
Wondering how your first PT session went and how you felt afterward?
Give us an update, if you care to share. We'll be here.
I hope you have a great day!
 
@Layla .
Hi layla, I'm doing ok I did therapy Monday wednesday and tomorrow . It hasn't been bad at all. I been slowly walking without walker. Today I did it quite a big. Still limping thou feels weird. Still having burning in calf and leg. My doctor and physical therapist said it was static nerve being moved and stretched during surgery and limping for so long. My legs or hurting and aching today. I just keep praying to get stronger and stronger everyday and to feel better than I ever did. I will keep you posted. Thanks for checking on me.
 
Hoping today is a better day, bug.
Hope you are still icing...?
I had terrible limping, leaning thing going on prior to surgery so just retraining myself to stand up straight caused some different sore muscles.
It isn't quite one month since your surgery so it is so early on for you.
Good for the walking but use the aids as long as you feel you need to...
Healing hugs!
 
Hi @palin21bug
I'm happy to hear you're doing well and therapy is working out for you.
Please use a cane as long as you're still limping and ask your PT about heel-toe walking
to help you lose the limp. Your heel strikes the ground first, followed by toes.
I found it very helpful but it takes concentration. I'm sorry you're still suffering pain. I'm
sure it will slowly disappear. At least you know the origin.
A great weekend to you!
 
@palin21bug
As much as I want to go without that cane, I know if I do, I pay for it with more pain.
Hips just are not ready for it yet and they let you know by pain and feelings of weakness.
I test things out everyday and try to leave that cane somewhere but realize I'm only
slowing myself down in the long run.
Take is easy and you'll get there!
 
Back
Top Bottom