BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Scar abnormalities: keloid and hypertrophic scars

Discussion in 'Post Surgery Information' started by Josephine, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1057599-overview

Keloids are the result of an overgrowth of dense fibrous tissue that usually develops after healing of a skin injury. The tissue extends beyond the borders of the original wound, does not usually regress spontaneously, and tends to recur after excision.

The first description of keloids (recorded on papyrus) concerned surgical techniques used in Egypt in 1700 BCE. Subsequently, in 1806, Alibert used the term cheloide, derived from the Greek chele, or crab's claw, to describe the lateral growth of tissue into unaffected skin.

In contrast, hypertrophic scars are characterized by erythematous, pruritic, raised fibrous lesions that typically do not expand beyond the boundaries of the initial injury and may undergo partial spontaneous resolution. Hypertrophic scars are common after thermal injuries and other injuries that involve the deep dermis.

Hypertrophic scar
    at0_gstatic_com_images_03f5389ef67b011373743eeecc18db9e._.jpg

keloid scar
    awww.keloidremoval.net_wp_content_uploads_2009_09_keloid_scar_removal.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

United States United States
    My dermatologist told me that keloids can actually "get a life of their own" and continue to grow in size. I had it happen when he removed a small mole on my tummy. It took a lot of work, but he was finally able to get it to settle down, stop growing and eventually it flattened out and lightened up in color. He did this with a series of injections directly into the scar. Don't know exactly what medicine he used, but it eventually did work. They are definitely nasty little devils!!

Posted by OKMichele

A dermatologist recommended Cimeosil silicone sheets that made a huge difference. My scar is significantly less red and is now flat. I ordered mine online, but then I saw that our local pharmacy Walgreens had their own brand of the same thing for significantly less cost. You have to keep it on several hours a day and I keep mine in place with an Ace bandage.