Guest viewing is limited

THR Palin21bug - Groin pain

My cheer...

Who's OS deserves a slug?
P - A - L -I - N 21bug!
:loll:
Glad they got it off of there..just hoping to make you smile.:)
 
Hello hip replacement on Tuesday. Started blistering on Thursday when I came home. Hives around incision and back. Woke up this morning with hives on legs. Nurse Practiconer not sure what it is. She switched some of my meds so we don't know if its that or tape!!! I pray it all works out. I'm afraid. Anybody else experience this?

Been taking stool softeners since Tuesday in hospital. Today is Saturday I been continuing, did suppository and enema just won't come!

And I don't know if you can strain or lean from side to side - what can I do???
 
Hi @palin21bug
Try to relax. It will happen. Many are constipated for many more days post op than you currently are.
Check out the following constipation remedies from NanaMama's thread and see if any of them appeal to you.
Others may come along with commentary in regard to what worked for them.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/nana-has-landed-on-the-other-side.46208/reply?quote=1128861

We are only allowed one thread in recovery. A moderator will post this information to your original recovery thread. So going forward, whenever you have questions or concerns, please post them on your original recovery thread. Doing so will move your thread to the top of the page and those who are interested in commenting will. For future reference It's best to have a record of your recovery all within the same thread.

I hope you find relief soon. Best wishes for a peaceful night!
 
Last edited:
I know how miserable constipation can be.
Prune juice helps many..I had to take several days of laxatives, before something finally happened.
My mom said sit, read a magazine and relax.
Obviously with bilateral hip repacement....sitting on a toilet riser for very long or relaxing was a long shot.
Drink lots..take laxative AND try to
Relax.
This too will pass...
I'm sorry you are having a rough go if it.
 
@Pallin21bug,
You'll notice that I have merged your new threads for the second time with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I've been taking stool softeners since this Tuesday and still taking. Also drinking Miralax tried 3 suppositories. I don't know what else to do.. I mean, how do you lean without putting your hip in trouble? I need advice. Besides the hives around my incision that we're are watching - that's still a mystery
 
I understand your frustration and realize you're most likely uncomfortable, but truly...people have struggled for a greater amount of time. Point being, while it is miserable.....you will be ok.
So please try to relax if possible. It will happen.

Here's an article from the BoneSmart Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constipation-and-stool-softeners.4899/
Consider one of the constipation recipes from Nana Mama's thread tomorrow and see if it helps.
Hope you get a good nights sleep!
@palin21bug
 
Here is a copy of the information in the link in post #25 that Layla posted.

This is the "Bomb" recipe for anyone Brave (or Desperate) enough to use it.
  • one dose liquid milk of magnesia in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with prune juice
  • Add 1 Tbsp. dark Karo syrup
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy.
My DIL (hospital chaplain) also offered this version (called Candy Apple)
  • one dose of MoM in an 8 oz. measuring cup
  • fill to 8 oz. mark with apple juice
  • spoonful of brown sugar
  • Heat in microwave
  • Enjoy
Thoughts on the Bomb:
  • Beware starting this recipe if you've only purchased Cherry Flavored MoM
  • DH got "100% Prune Juice" as opposed to the store brand kind where (though it said 100% Prune Juice, the first ingredient was Water, which made DH deem if unacceptable) :bignono: The consistency of the PJ he got was very thick/syrupy.
  • I think the idea of the Karo was to sweeten the pot.... but with the cherry flavor and the Karo the resulting hot drink was sickeningly sweet and had the texture of hot beef gravy.
Thoughts on the Candy Apple:

  • I didn't make this, but if I were going to - I'd get the regular MoM
  • Buy the cheapest Apple Juice you can find...
  • I would error on the side of too little brown sugar, at least to start.
When the bomb didn't detonate, (gave it 5-6 hrs). DH went to the local drug and got Fleets Gel Suppositories. I thought this might just 'clear the way' for the bomb to blast off (not to mention the SS and Myrlax I've taken the last few days)... but so far, nothing. However... I'm able to eat (and not throw it up undigested) and the terrible stomach pain has subsided.

I should have prefaced my comments about the pain medication - I don't think I've ever been able to take Hydrocodine (ever). I've have previous surgeries (not recently) and shouldn't have even try it (much less taken a full dose). The Oxi might have helped w/o puking... but the bowel trouble may have still existed (and maybe to even a greater degree). So to anyone who can tolerate the meds (but might need the bomb... mark this message "Informational") If you are off the scripts, but still needing a bomb... 'maybe' you can substitute the Apple Juice with Apple Schnapps :heehee:
 
Advice I need now is how do you sit on the toilet when you are constipated? You can't bend over. I would imagine we can't strain or move from one hip to the other without the fear of dislocating hip when we need to. How do we do these things?
 
Hi @palin21bug
I hope you got some decent sleep overnight and that things are looking up for you this morning.
These early days can be rough. Hang in there it will get better....promise!

Re: your question about sitting on the toilet.
Are you currently sitting on the toilet to urinate? If so, same way.

Following is a list of Recovery Aids -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recovery-aids-a-comprehensive-list-for-hospital-and-home.12499/
Under "General Aids" you will find Toilet Frames. Check them out to determine whether one of them may be of assistance to you.

Please try not to be so fearful of dislocation. I didn't have any restrictions and I didn't suffer dislocation. I was advised to be thoughtful of my movements, moving slowly and carefully. If something hurt, STOP!

It seems like you're getting yourself into a panic of sorts. It's difficult to think of you stressing about so many things. Please try to relax. I'll bet most everything will fall into place over the next week. I'm sure you'll find relief from constipation and settle into a routine with the activities of daily life that you're able to partake in currently.

Try one of the constipation recipes today and see if it helps. You'll have a fresh outlook once you remedy the constipation issue. Best of luck to you....
Prayers for rest, peace and relief.
 
Thanks. What I mean about sitting on toilet is the straining from constipation ..
I feel like I may need to help push it out and straining, I know it sounds crazy, sorry to be so personal. I'm just so uncomfortable. A worry wart as you can see. 6 days today my left leg I still can't pick it up with out help from my dear husband. I try using my robe belt and try on my own. It's hard. It just hurts so much still.
 
You are just a week out from surgery, you will be able to lift your leg with time and healing. The early days are rough, it will get better.
 
Hi @palin21bug
You have log leg. Everyone experiences it. It will go away. You're only 5 days post op.
Give it time. I know it's frustrating but it will get better.

As far as straining on the toilet, exercise the same caution you do with any actions or movement.
Take it slow and easy and if it causes too much discomfort, STOP.

I can see you're a worrier and I feel bad that you're stressed. Making an effort to relax will make your life easier. Look at all of the success stories here, your body is healing, you need to trust that. Stress won't help anything. I realize sometimes it can't be helped but please try to do something to calm yourself.

Try listening to some relaxation music, paging through magazines or a good book as a distraction. Watch some comedy on tv or a series on Netflix, practice some deep breathing, play some online games, listen to a book on tape, do a crossword puzzle, start a Pinterest account, sit outside and get some fresh air and sunshine weather permitting, start a recovery journal and watch how far you'll come in a weeks time, call a friend or loved one, plan a vacation for next time you're able to sneak in a getaway, peruse recipes online for future meals, pray or meditate, respond to others threads on BoneSmart. Just a few ideas. If nothing appeals to you, try to engage anyway. I think you may relax if you take your focus off the things you are worried about and just allow recovery to happen naturally.

I'm sorry you're struggling but I believe you're going to be alright.
Healing hugs coming your way. Try to enjoy the day!
 
That log leg feeling will also lessen.
It took longer for one of my legs to listen than the other...
Drink lots of liquids on top of what you are taking for constipation.
I hope something happens for you soon.:console2:
 
Thanks for everything! It's just been so many obstacles in a short time home. Home health had to come here and take the surgical tape off left thigh down butt. It had all broken out in hives. So they think I can allergic to the surgical dressing tape. It's blistered very badly.

I finally went to the restroom!!!

Were any of you allergic to dressing or tape?
 
@palin21bug you will notice that I have (again) merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread. Please do not start any more threads. Keep your updates and questions here.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.
 
My SO had open heart surgery, and his incision was closed with surgical glue. He turned out to be allergic to that. Lots of itchies and little blisters. Took a month before it faded away entirely. Very annoying for him.
 
Yay for g:yes!:ing to the bathroom!
That certainly makes things easier.
I know you feel overwhelmed and vulnerable right now...and hate that you're allergic to that tape.
It will get easier...this is the tough part.
If it makes you feel any better, my first weeks posts sounded desperate.
Think temporary....we do get through it.:yes:
 
Yahoo, atta girl! :yay: :happydance:

I had an allergic reaction to the tape in the form of extreme redness
but no hives or blisters. I'm sure it will look better in a couple days.
Hope you're feeling more relaxed now that you have the constipation behind you.
Maybe a nice nap is in order? :yawn: :sleep: Wishing you peace!
@palin21bug
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom