THR Pain in hip after nine years.

A positive mind makes a lot of difference . I see it over and over on this board as well as everywhere else:) you will get your answers.. But I agree with others .. Be persistent . After surgery some OS seem to think their job is done.. Be the squeaky wheel. I am very confident it is not as bad as you are imagining it is... Our minds sometimes go to bad places that are not realistic. Rein it in and keep it in the positive.. You will be great!!! You seem super strong:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Debbie, I'm so sorry I never got back to you earlier. I've been out of sorts and also had to work Wednesday and Thursday so I'm just catching up. Let me see if I can make a chart out of your references
The pain starts on chart #1 at EL6F and runs to HL5F, then continues down on chart #2 ALF4 to BLF4, with most of the pain on weight bearing at BLF4, right above the knee. This pain is what makes it so difficult for me to walk. I have an ache at HL2B when sitting. I have a VERY sore spot at F/GL6F. My IT band from DL6F to HL6F along my thigh is also tight and hurts when I push on it, but doesn't bother me when weight bearing/walking.
Are these about right?

[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.
[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.


These are IT band sites without a doubt and it seems you have been unlucky enough to get a dose of chronic tendinitis. I shall have to read through your thread to see if I can figure out why.
Then there is the snapping in the hip joint when I walk that happens every time my operated leg is in the back stride position and I push off of my foot to bring the leg forward.
Lots of people get this. If it's not painful, it really isn't an issue so please don't let it worry you. After all, you;re only 13 weeks out yet which is still quite early in the process and there is plenty of time for it to settle.

I'll be back later in the day ...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine I have considered IT Band tendonitis, but in looking at thigh diagrams, the pain is more in the vastus lateralis muscle to the front of the IT Band. Does that make sense? I do have a very tight IT band, and tightness in that area. I believe my surgeon even noted it in my surgery notes...he wrote "I encountered the fascia lata, incised in line with its fibers. The fascia lata was quite tight". Wouldn't that be connected to the IT band somehow?

The other thing I am noticing is that my pain seems to be shifting around, sometimes more concentrated at the mid to upper thigh, then the next day it will be above the knee again. Once again, I thank you so much for looking at my story and giving me your opinions. I find you are very seldom wrong (if ever). I will wait to hear back from you.
 
Yes, and you're trying to pin it down to one structure or another but it doesn't work like that. "Tendinitis" is actually a broad spectrum term and inflammation is commonly in an area rather then a single muscle. We define ITband and such because it's easier to refer to that as an area but you can't separate it from all the other structures that area adjacent. Besides which your surgeon's comment were made 13 weeks ago so are somewhat moot 13 weeks later.

Simple answer is that you have pain 'in that area', so I suggest you do what I always say - rest, elevate, ice and take pain meds. And get some massage from a chiroprator or do it yourself Acupressure massage.
 
Hope you feel a bit better now Debbie after such a positive response.....thinking of you Tuesday...let us know how you get on won't you...love Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Josephine Thank you. You have put my mind at ease once again. I have actually been resting and icing for the last 8 days and today and yesterday it is feeling pretty good.

Just one more question....is this something that normally resolves itself if I am careful not to overdo it? Today I got in the hot tub and let the water jets massage my IT band and thigh area, then got in the pool and swam 4 laps. It felt good. Is that okay, do you think or should I continue to do nothing for longer? If so, how much longer would you suggest? Should I be walking if I am not having any significant pain? It is so hard for me to know what is too much. I want to get my muscle strength back, but don't want to hinder my recovery. Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated.
 
@Hoppy Nanny Thanks, Chrissie. I am feeling somewhat relieved. Now I just want to keep the pain from becoming chronic. It's a fine line knowing what to do. :what:
 
It so is Debbie.....trial & error....it doesn't last forever....although sometimes it feels like it......!!!! Sometimes it's going back to basics and babying that hip for a while......honestly, it's so worth all this pain and angst in the long run...Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Josephine Yes, I am using my cane again. This has helped me alot.

When I say significant, I mean hurting alot when I bear weight and making me not want to walk like I was having a few days ago. For the last two days, when using my cane I am not having that kind of pain when walking. I walked about 10 minutes down my block and back yesterday without pain. My gait has actually felt good for two days now.....no limping. Maybe I'm getting better????? :beg:Oh, I really hope so!
 
My surgeon called me this afternoon to talk to me about my symptoms. He said he is quite concerned that I am having the clunking in my hip joint with every step. He asked me some questions and didn't like what he was hearing. He said my 6 week x-rays looked really good. He had me go have x-rays taken today so he could look at them tonight and compare before our appointment. I will be seeing him next Tuesday.

Needless to say, his concern has got me concerned. I am hoping for the best. :fingersx: :prayer:
 
Debbie, the word from Jo sounded promising.... I sure hope the xrays and meeting with your OS sheds light
on confirmation of tendinitis and nothing more.
You are in my thoughts.....
 
@Dmcfad2..... Hoping all goes well tomorrow Debbie...will be thinking of you. No let us know how it goes....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Debbie I have GP appt today to discuss stitch and bronchitis continuing...
Also have call into OS
Will advise....
Thanks for caring. Hugs


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I saw my OS this morning. He had been concerned about the snapping in my hip joint. He said my new x-rays looked good. He compared them with my 6 week x-rays and said he studied them for about 45 minutes last Friday and could see no movement of the cup or any micromotion of the stem or any other problems. He showed them to me side by side and they looked good to me, but what do I know?

I was able to re-create the noise in my hip for him. He did several movement tests with me and then told me that he thinks what is happening is that my hip is shucking a little bit. The ball moves very slightly in and out of the cup when I walk, enough for me to feel it and for it to make noise. He then showed it to me on a model. He made it out to be a very small movement and I was able to identify the sound as what I am hearing in my hip. I do feel I have good stability there and don't have any feeling of weakness or any feeling like it is going to pop out.

He said that it might get better as the muscles get tighter (and it might not) and as long as I'm not having any pain, it is not really a concern. It doesn't seem to be enough for it to subluxate or dislocate, I guess. So, right now, it is wait and see. He was happy with all the things I could do (ROM, strength) and said I was doing fantastic recovery wise. He wants to see me in 6 months.

My thigh pain has gone away after resting, icing, taking anti-infallammatories, (as Jo suggested) and he also believes it is IT band pain, just as Jo said. So, right now, I am feeling good as far as pain goes, very little pain actually. But, I must admit I am just a little worried about this shucking thing. It doesn't seem right to me. So, once again, I am tagging @Josephine. Should I be seeking a second opinion at this point? Should I be worried or just wait for awhile? I am feeling good. It is more annoying than anything. I have noticed in the last few days it isn't happening with every step like it has been. I have been able to take several steps throughout the day where it doesn't happen, so maybe it is getting better as I get stronger. Thank you once again for your insight.
 
So glad that you got such a positive outcome from the surgeon Debbie.....it seems he corroborated Josephine's diagnosis which must be a relief. Do hope it eases your mind and you can get on with your recovery.......can hear that little niggle in your head saying " is he right....should I check more"......I'm sure I would be the same ....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom