Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain in hip after nine years.

Aw, Debbie, I was so hoping all the fun and sun would get you to where you wanted to be. No, pain still at 4 months just doesn't seem right, and still swelling too? UG! :hairpulling:

:headbang: You seemed to have done everything so "right" that your recovery should be right on course of pain free days and nights. I hope your OS visit gets you some answers!
 
Hi Debbie!
I have started searching for exercises for the IT band, and sure hope that helps the awful stiffness upon
standing that I have. I really thought it would be gone by now, and if anything it seems to be more!
:gaah:
I sure hope you and your OS can help alleviate your pain on walking.
Hugs
 
Debbie, stinks that you still have pain. Hopefully your OS figures it out. Also glad it didn't keep you from your trip.
 
@Dmcfad2. Hi Debbie..... So glad you enjoyed your cruise..... It sounds great!
So very sorry that you feel your recovery isn't moving as fast as you envisaged......and that the pain is limiting your activities. But Debbie you are still only just past 4 months post op and improvements at that stage come over months rather than weeks. I know there are others that are running around pain free (I know I wasn't ) but for most of us this recovery happens slowly and takes the most part of a year. I only say this because I'm 11 months post op but I think I was about 9 months before I truly felt that my hip was forgotten. And even then some days the stiffness prevailed.....and on occasions still does. I do hope that things improve for you Debbie and you know there is no way I could have done a cruise at your stage of recovery so I think you've done really well!!! Take care honey... Thinking of you. Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny Thank you, Chrissie. I REALLY appreciate your comments. I get so down sometimes...it is so unlike me. I really did not expect to still be in pain at 4 months post op. I think the long trip and long flights wore me down a bit. I was feeling very down yesterday......limping, sore, tired and jet-lagged. I had a long cry and pity party last night. I am feeling a bit better this morning, more positive, not as much pain and more rested. My husband says I have come a long way. He is my cheerleader. I know I need to be more patient. :chillpill:
 
Oh yes our hubbies deserve a medal after this l.o.n.g recovery .....glad you are feeling better today....I expect your body was shattered after all the flights, travels, etc.....I've had back surgery but it never left me with the fatigue and self absorption of this THR recovery......but I'm done and over it now (except for some residual knee pain) but I've regained my stamina & humour ...... You will too!!! It's that patience thing that's sooooo damn hard. Xxx.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I agree with you about how hard this surgery is mentally. I think it is normal because it is mentioned so often on the forum. Eventually that part will be just a memory, too, but until it is we just have to be aware of it and know that there are many people who feel similarly. I am one of them! Sometimes my philosophy is that I will be able to make it through the next ten minutes. This usually happens when waking up in the middle of the night with a worry about never getting better. Anything can be done bit by bit and that is what this recovery is. I will be glad when the self-absorption is over. Guess we are just not used to these feelings and not being in control. Be well.
 
Hi @Dmcfad2, I read your update as I was keen to see how you got in in Ireland. .. I hope you did enjoy the trip here... I had replied to another thread but you may have started your trip at that point.

I too have had a bit of a slow down in my recovery and whilst my issue isn't pain as much as my poor gait I found the last few weeks really difficult emotionally. I had thought at 9 weeks pushing 10 I'd be walking normally but I still have a crutch and a waddle instead of a limp! I am struggling with how that looks as well as the limitations it places on me so I can relate to your feelings. I am holding out hope PT and time will help. I was speaking to a friend and tried to explain it as feeling dowdy and old - cause I can't move properly and I miss my high heels! I'm sick of flat sensible shoes and pants. Shallow... I know...but I think like you I want to feel my 'normal' again.

I hope your appointment goes well and there was no damage done in the fall...and alevate the pain issues.
Nora
 
@lovetowalk Yes, the self absorption is horrible. I am tired of thinking about me, me, me and my hip! LOL! I am feeling much more positive today, but those down moments really hit hard.
@NoraJ I absolutely loved Ireland! What a beautiful place. We went to Dublin, Belfast, Galway, Waterford and Killybegs, Donegal. I loved the pubs and the people. Where do you live?
I, too, feel old right now. On the cruise there were quite a few older people, maybe late 70's and I wasn't doing any better than a lot of them as far as my walking. And some of them were doing better than I was! :sigh:
Anyway, today is a better day. I am feeling more positive. It sure is a roller coaster! Thanks for the good wishes. It does help to know I'm not the only one struggling. :cheers: (Although I don't want anyone to struggle!)
 
Oh yes! There is the issue...feeling old! I went in toned and in great shape. Came out feeling twenty years older. This, too, shall pass. We will all recover although wish I had been a little bit prepared for how long it would take and the emotions involved. We love Iteland, too, and have visited many times. Great way to recover!
 
I live near Limerick in the Midwest. Not as spectacular as other parts of the country but they are easy to get to! I'll head to south west tomorrow and tomorrow evening I'll be looking at the sea and mountains and have great sea air in my lungs! I have yet to make it to Donegal but hopefully I will this year or next. You got to see a lot. As long you took a few breaks it's a bit easier.

I have been trying to build up my walking but I find the crutch difficult and waddling is so uncomfortable. I'm afraid if I don't use the crutch my hair will never get right even with the other hip being done. I have PT today and I am rejoining tge local gym for the pool. The next 3 weeks are about loosing some weight and getting stronger before going back to work! And by stronger I mean both physically and mentally... no more than anyone else I need to get back into a positive head space....
 
@NoraJ @lovetowalk @Dmcfad2
Honestly, honestly.... In a couple of months you will look back & see that all this recovery time has been worth it..... If you are limping at all....PLEASE stay with the one crutch..... It will assist your gait so you WILL walk normally.... It really isn't a long time in the scheme of things.... Suddenly you forget the crutch and realise you are walking straight.... Suddenly you get up from a chair and it's not stiff !!!! Suddenly the THR and recovery is not the first thing you think about... Or should I say the only thing you think about.
Here's a picture of me walking Abbie, the dog this morning , up & down the pebbly beach, no crutch, no pain..... Never would I have thought during the first 6 months I would do this again ..... Hang on in there xxxxx
[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
NoraJ, as I understand it the abducters need to be stronger for the gait to go away.probably the glutes, too. It is happening for me, just not as quickly as I would like. PT is helping a lot, but, honestly I could do it at home without the PT. Slowly I am seeing progress. Like you, I need to work on my brain _and thinking :)
 
Love the photo, Chrissie! @Hoppy Nanny Today I am feeling really good. I woke up with very little thigh pain this morning. We are off to the beach in our RV for 3 days. I have postponed my appointment until September to see if more recovery time helps with this pain. Maybe I am being too impatient......
@lovetowalk I was in great shape coming in to this, too. I ran, did spin, body pump, zumba. I was a gym rat. I thought I would recover faster because of it. But, I have tight muscles and IT band, too, so maybe it makes it worse.
@NoraJ I would love to get back to Ireland someday. Hang in there! I'm thinking of you. We will get better!
 
Hi Debbie, glad you enjoyed that nice long cruise.
I am sorry you are still in pain.
I've had a few depressing days myself..... I have some groin pain and most likely IT band pain I believe
from overdoing the walking and recumbent bike. Just too much.... so, I am resting for a couple days to
see if that fixes it.
I hope your pain is also muscle pain. Hugs
I @MajorHeidi . I searched for groin pain on the site and up you came!

I was cleared for no restrictions at 8 weeks yesterday. Today I went for two walks with my dog and did all my PT and weeded some of my small garden. Now I'm kind of freaking out because I feel pain in my groin area and I'm thinking I did something wrong here. Like I said when I searched for groin pain. Here you are
 
Hi @lee0605 don't worry.
There is a small muscle up there that gets strained with heavy walking and other things, but
recovers pretty quickly. I am no longer worried. I don't feel it anymore. Yay!
I saw Josephine comment on it somewhere else.
So... don't worry! be happy!
 
@Dmcfad2, checking to see how you are doing. I am at Week 6.5 and am miserable with tendinitis and I IT band issues, plus planter fasciitis. I am getting little sleep. My shins are the very worse though!
 
Hi @MajorHeidi

Thanks for your reply the other day. Once again making me feel feel relaxed, decreasing the tension in my body and lowering my overall pain. Your advice is like a pain pill! I did cut back and then yesterday went to an outside wedding. Beautiful venue however I did not anticipate walking around on uneven grass for five hours. The first time I did that. Needless to say, today I am using the cane for balance and am not going to take any pain meds as they all make me feel nauseated even the next day. Maybe a slow walk later....without the dog! I'm hoping, as always, I didn't do anything to my wonderful new implant but figured I'd come online and ask for support anyway. Considering what I see others do....being as goofy as me.............I'll be all right. Nine weeks out and mostly off the meds and all the way off the cane except for today...sign me "practice more on uneven ground". Man I feel sick to my stomach and hurt. Did you have the same experience with grass etc.....
 
Hi Debbie, just checking in to see how you are doing . . . :sneaker:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom