Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain in hip after nine years.

My aunt is in the Rancho Bernardo area of San Diego and the smoke forced them out for a few days. This world is very small - are you their neighbor? LOL
 
@Josephine Thank you. You always put me in my place. Lol! I really appreciate your no nonsense attitude and advice. My scar is actually better looking today. I also started taking Tylenol 1000 mg. 4x a day yesterday and it seems to be helping with the pain in my thigh. I have recently started riding the exercise bike every other day at low resistance and maybe that has caused it? When you say no creams or potions on the scar.....I had been told by my OS to use vitamin e or bio oil to massage it which I have been using for about 3 weeks now. I definitely don't want to compromise my wound.
 
Hi Debbie I'm just catching up from the weekend festivities and sorry to hear you are having some issues! I agree that it sounds like you have overdone it, maybe on the bike? Not sure but I'm glad Josephine doesn't feel it's related to your hip.

Your incision does look a little irritated and I agree it was likely from the clothes you were wearing...or maybe the stuff you wash with? I have been taking extra care to use an antibacterial gel body wash and pat the area dry...and not sure if I should be, but I have been sprinkling a bit of baby powder in the crease between the thigh and torso so that it stays nice and dry...it seems to prevent any chafing for me. I also use bio oil. My OS suggested it with my knee and I'm pretty pleased with that scar...if you can be pleased with a scar. So far so good on the hip scar...it seems to be healing nicely.

The hard part is feeling better and wanting to do whatever you would normally, but then your body screams "not so fast!". I think that is happening to all of us and its good..we listen and we slow down. I'm thinking my recovery curve looks more like stair steps...even with a small downward ramp occasionally...but overall I think we are all headed in the right direction.

I am watching the news closely to get updates on the fires! I have a very dear friend in Fallbrook who didn't evacuate this time but came close. A work colleague lives in Carlsbad and she did evacuate but escaped any damage except for smoke. It is so scary and I'm sending my prayers that all of you and your families will make it through safely.

Take it easy! I'm sure you are not walking around your neighborhood as you enjoy doing because it's probably hard to breathe outside right now with all the smoke in the air. On a completely different topic, I'm also praying for all the living things outdoors...pets, birds, etc. I am a total animal lover and think it has to be hard for the little creatures to breathe and find food. (Sorry for that rant.). ;). :meow:

I just posted an update on my recovery thread...ridiculous day for my first business trip PO. :ice:
 
@Dmcfad2..Nah...you are doing fine really....My thigh is somewhat sore.....Is you hip pain gone????? I do believe these aches and pains are from the surgery....My goodness we had our hip joint taken out. Think about it......I to am amazed at these people who are running around 3 weeks after surgery..WHAT???.I was on the recliner...My big exercise was walking to the kitchen and up the stairs to the bathroom..then boom...recliner..lol.Did you do any PT? I find that stretching is the best....everything is tight so you have to stretch!!!!! I feel very good but some days I feel pain..It will get better Debbie...promise....I am working hard on my range of motion and that is a struggle.....If you hip pain is gone you are getting better....I had suffered with horrid groin pain..When I walk now there is none...that makes me smile....wow....just remember where you where say 3 weeks ago....I bet your better now...each week you will see improvement.....We have probably months to go to feel normal...but I have to say my doctor performed a miracle on me...life is amazing.....Keep positive....you will get there..Massage your leg....wake it up... .:SUNsmile:
 
The hard part is feeling better and wanting to do whatever you would normally, but then your body screams "not so fast!". I think that is happening to all of us and its good..we listen and we slow down. I'm thinking my recovery curve looks more like stair steps...even with a small downward ramp occasionally...but overall I think we are all headed in the right direction.

...life is amazing.....Keep positive....

Yes, life is amazing! I am happy to see that you are doing well!
 
I haven't updated for awhile. I am a little over 9 weeks post op and I feel fantastic. For anyone reading my thread who is pre-op or still in early days of recovery, I am here to tell you that it gets much better.

I had such a difficult time with recovery. I was very active before surgery and didn't have a lot of the pain limitations that some do when going in to this surgery. I could still do a lot of every day things. After surgery, all of a sudden, I couldn't do some of those things anymore. My ROM was worse, not better! I remember when I was still considering surgery, I wrote in my pre-op thread that I thought I would recover quickly because I was in good shape. Josephine answered me and told me that sometimes people like me have a harder time in recovery because they are used to being active. It surprised me, but in my case, she was right.

Although my recovery has been quite typical from my research, I still had a hard time. I intellectually knew what to expect, but I didn't handle it well. I cried a lot. I was worried that I wouldn't get better and that I would always be "handicapped". After surgery, when I couldn't touch my toes, I figured I'd NEVER be able to touch my toes. When I couldn't put my sock on, I figured I'd NEVER be able to put my sock on. Things like that. Well, I can touch my toes now and put on my sock. It isn't easy, but I can do it. And now I know it will get better. It takes time.

So, today I am celebrating. I have a new left hip that is getting stronger all the time. I have moments where I don't think about it. I am back to the gym, riding the bike, elliptical, doing body pump. I am feeling good and don't have any pain in my new hip joint. The back of the thigh pain I was having 10 days ago is gone. What I do still have is swelling in my thigh, knee and calf. This is taking a while to go away. I am still stiff in the morning when I get up. It takes a while to loosen up. My ROM is getting better, but I'm not where I want to be yet. I'm working on it. The worst thing right now is my right hip. I am having groin pain there. I am hoping that I can delay surgery on it for awhile. I just want to get back to normal and enjoy my new hip for awhile first. But, if I have to do the right one, I do know what to expect now! And I'll be ready.

I never thought I would say it, but I'm happy I had the surgery! I hope everyone has a nice Memorial Day and please remember why we observe it. I am thankful to all who gave their lives for my freedom.
 
Great and most interesting update!

We will have to keep tabs on each other on our right hips --- I spent last night on the floor hurting bad after I swore never to spend another holiday like that --- I'm scheduled for injection on Thursday. But, last night, after doing family picnic all day and another picnic today, I was clearing the calendar for Fall.
Feeling good today though so, I am back to just enjoying.
 
Hi Debbie, your 9 week report is terrific.
I hope you continue to enjoy your new hip and get to go do things that you have been wanting to ....
:loveshwr:
 
Wow Debbie, I have been away for awhile since my surgery probably will be in December. I am very happy for you and continue to improve--I know you will--:)
 
@Josephine I love this forum where I can ask questions! I am feeling really good, but I have what I would describe as a "clicking" in my new hip when walking that I feel rather than hear. It is every time I take a stride with my good hip/leg forward and my operated hip/leg behind me, as I am walking. With each step, it is click, click, click. (I'm not sure clicking is the right word, but it is something like that.) if I am not weight bearing, such as riding a bycicling, I don't feel it. This doesn't hurt at all, is just annoying. Maybe like a tendon rubbing across something? I don't know, I'm just guessing. It isn't noisy. I can just feel it. I am hoping it will go away eventually as my hip continues to get stronger. Have you heard of this before? This has been going on for about 3 weeks now. Thank so much for your opinion.
 
click, clunk, thunk, pop, knock - people describe it in all sorts of ways! It's just the two components tapping together as you walk. Most people experience it, most get accustomed to it over time. It signifies nothing, it's just that your nice soft cartilage has been replaced by hard materials which will inevitably make a bit of noise from time to time. Try tapping a plastic spoon on the table and see what I mean!

You could also watch the videos in here about noise
Noise Issues
 
12 weeks post op update. ROM has improved, but I'm still having quite a bit of pain when walking in the side and back of my thigh and above my knee. It is still a struggle to walk. I have taken to using my cane again. My leg is still swollen and I have a snapping deep in the hip joint whenever I take a step forward with the operated leg. I feel that I have not had any type of improvement in the pain in the last two weeks. I am discouraged. I have notified my OS and he wants to see me. I feel I have gone backwards. Sigh.
 
Oh Debbie, I hope your OS is able to determine the source of the problem for you.
Surely there must be a solution, and I hope it is easily determined and you can get help asap.
I feel for you, my friend.
Hugs :friends:
 
:sneaker:Life has been rather busy . . . but stopping by to see how friends are doing. So sorry to hear you are a hurting! :what: Hopefully, some relief, see OS yet?
 
@Me2 Thanks, Sheryl. Good to see you! I got a call from my OS. He wants to see me and take x-rays. I will see him this week. I am praying this is just healing pain and not an infection or a problem with the prothesis. My thigh pain has increased ALOT in the last week. Last night I woke up with a burning pain down my leg and my thigh is so sore to the touch. I need my cane to walk. How is your other good hip feeling? Mine has been getting better. If it wasn't for this stupid thigh pain, I would be feeling great! Thanks for tiptoeing in! It's nice to see the old gang.
 
Hi Debbie!
Glad you got the OS visit set for this week.
I sure hope they are able to determine what is going on for you.....
Oh your new avatar is gorgeous. Where is that?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom