Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain in hip after nine years.

@MajorHeidi Isn't it pretty?? That is on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean traveling to Bora Bora. We are doing it again in December because we loved it so much. That's why I need to get well!! LOL!
 
Oh man... BoraBora!
That is on my bucket list, but doubt I would ever get there. You lucky duck!
 
Debbie ---- I hope your OS is able to figure out and solve the other issues but I think maybe and hope that maybe I know what you are experiencing . . . . in my case, anyway, when I notice a

thigh pain has increased ALOT in the last week. Last night I woke up with a burning pain down my leg and my thigh is so sore to the touch. I need my cane to walk

I have noticed that the numbness to the right of incision seems to change, go away a little more, just feel different. I have almost been excited when I feel that burning ache in thigh because the numbness might just someday go away all the way! Mine had faded much second or third week and then no difference until about Week 8 or 9?

Ah well, may we all keep healing!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Me2 Sheryl, I don't understand your post. I think some words are missing or something. Are you saying that you would get better after having the burning thigh pain?

For the last two days I have been resting, not walking much, just sitting and icing and using my cane and I am actually having a little less pain in my thigh tonight. I also used a foam roller on the sore areas. It hurt like hell, but the painful areas feel a little less painful tonight. I walked down to our mailbox (about half a block and back) tonight with my cane and didn't feel the thigh pain. It is giving me a feeling of hope that just maybe this pain is something other a complication with my prothesis. Maybe, just maybe, it is some kind of tendinitis. I still have the clicking, though. I can hear it now as well as feel it. Weird.

They have not given me an appointment date yet. My OS said the clinic scheduler would call to set it up and I still haven't heard from them. It pisses me off. :censored: I have emailed them three times and called once. I guess they aren't too worried about my symptoms. Maybe I'm overreacting to this pain. I don't know. I just know I want to walk without pain! It's almost 3 months. Shouldn't I be out of pain by now?? :shrug:
 
hi Debbie @Dmcfad2. Sorry you are experiencing this thigh pain.......I think that at about 12 weeks we forget that our bodies have gone through major trauma and have taken on life again and everything that entails, which is too much for our poor hips. They still need rest & care. I did the same and had a bad time at about 11 weeks. Went back to resting, icing and took a step back....it worked the pain gradually eased off.....hope you get your appointment but I'm sure the pain will ease off...Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Josephine I am feeling very down this morning. I am almost 3 months post op and have never been pain free since my surgery. My hip feels fine but I have so much thigh pain that is not getting better with rest or pain meds. I have pain when I walk in the lateral/anterior lower thigh. It is getting worse and I cannot walk without my cane or I limp terribly from the pain. It is not really on the IT band. It is on the line between L5f and L6f and reaches from E to past H just above the knee, moving more into the L5f area as it gets closer to the knee.

There are a few very sore spots when I push on my thigh, especially where I believe the stem of the prothesis ends, at the intersection of L6f and F/G. The other night, just the feel of material touching my thigh from my clothes hurt. I am also experiencing a clicking deep in the joint on every step like something is hitting or snapping against something. I don't see any external signs of infection and I feel okay, except for this impending sense of doom that is engulfing me. I am trying to get in to see my OS but have been unable to get an appointment so far. I guess they aren't concerned with my symptoms as much as I am.

I was doing gentle exercises up until last week.....riding the exercise bike at low resistance for 30 minutes three times a week and doing a silver sneakers class twice a week, which is fitness for seniors....sitting in a chair and very gentle. I have been aware from this website to take things slowly when getting back into activity and I have followed that mantra. I do a small amount of housework every day...make the bed, wash the dishes, and easy stuff. I don't even vacuum right now. I have not increased my activity and as a matter of fact, have done nothing for the last 3 days but rest and ice and the pain is still there as soon as I wake up. I keep fooling myself thinking it is getting better, but as soon as I take a few steps, it is back.

I was taking Tylenol 1000mg. 4 times a day up until last week when it seemed the pain got worse. I started taking one norco 5/325 along with a 500 mg Tylenol 4 times a day about a week ago, but it isn't helping much either...maybe dulling it a bit, but not much.

I know I need to see my doctor. I just wanted your opinion. I am praying it is some kind of bursitis or tendonitis, but my gut tells me something else is going on. Please be honest and let me know what you think. It really sounds like stem loosening to me and I need to mentally prepare myself for a revision if that is the case, don't I? Or would there be an alternative to that?

Thank you so much for taking time to answer me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you're having such trouble, it sounds as though your imagination works overtime just like mine. Wouldn't it be great if we could just deal with things when they come instead of anticipating the worst. I'm certainly only a patient myself, but it seems as though seeing your Dr. and having appropriate tests will be the answer to finding out what's going on. I would insist on seeing my Dr. whatever you have to say to make that happen, after all he was your surgeon and whether his appointment staff feel it's important or not, it is important. I will be thinking about you today and hope you get the help you need now...Loving thoughts coming your way...Rebecca
 
It is on the line between L5f and L6f and reaches from E to past H just above the knee, moving more into the L5f area as it gets closer to the knee.
Honey, which chart are you using as I have two and each gives the references in quite different places!

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.


[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.


[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.
 
Sorry you aren't feeling well. :( I would call my surgeon's secretary and cry and act like a fool until she got me in right away. You could say that you are concerned you are doing damage by walking around on it. The sooner you get in, the better you'll feel. It sounds like you were super active shortly after surgery. So, it's probably a muscular thing. But, you won't know for sure until you see your doctor. You're in my prayers.
 
@Josephine Sorry. I'll try again. The pain starts on chart #1 at EL6F and runs to HL5F, then continues down on chart #2 ALF4 to BLF4, with most of the pain on weight bearing at BLF4, right above the knee. This pain is what makes it so difficult for me to walk. I have an ache at HL2B when sitting. I have a VERY sore spot at F/GL6F. My IT band from DL6F to HL6F along my thigh is also tight and hurts when I push on it, but doesn't bother me when weight bearing/walking. Then there is the snapping in the hip joint when I walk that happens every time my operated leg is in the back stride position and I push off of my foot to bring the leg forward. This does not hurt, but I definitely feel it and I can hear it, too.

I have been dealing with this thigh pain from very early on. It seemed to be getting slightly better at about 10 weeks, but never went away and then got progressively worse. It is worse now than at any time since my surgery. Very painful! I don't even want to walk anymore.

Please let me know if there is anything else you need to know. I have still not been given an appointment to see my OS. After I emailed my OS about the snapping in my hip. he called me last week and said he wanted to see me and take x-rays. He told me he would have his clinic scheduler contact me the next day and here I sit a week later with no contact yet. I have called and emailed, but nothing yet. I am frustrated. :boohoo:
 
@younghippie Thanks for your support! I called this morning, said it was urgent, they promised me a phone call back.........nothing yet. :sad:
 
@Rebecca65 Yes. I hope it is just my overactive imagination! I try to stay positive, but when I wake up every day with worse pain then the day before, I worry. Thanks! :flwrysmile:
 
Hoping for good news for you as I've read your progress thus far and don't want to hear of regression! Keep us posted!

JB


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Dmcfad2 Aw Debbie, I think I recall your 6 week appt took forever to give you an actual date....
Ugh.....
Hope you get in soon; in the meantime hopefully you will get reassuring info from Josephine....
 
I was just reading my post op thread from the beginning and I have been having an issue with thigh pain from the very beginning. It has never gone away and it is worse now than ever. I feel like it is never going to go away, that this is my new normal. I am feeling so down. And still no call from my doctors office. I am feeling so defeated. Sorry to be such a downer. It is really playing with my emotions. I am so sad.
 
Bug the heck out of your doctor's office until you get an appointment. This is not right. Be his worst nightmare. You need answers. Don't be passive.

JB


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Maybe you could ask to speak to the office manager... Refuse to hang up until they put you through to manager. Then refuse to hang up with manager until you have reasonable appointment time. Let manager know how long you've been trying to get appointment... That's unusual, so you probably aren't talking to the right people. If they still don't respond, ask that person's name and then you could threaten to write a personal letter to the surgeon letting him know about your experience with that person.
Hope you get in soon! :)
 
@Hoppy Nanny Thank you, Chrissie. I woke up this morning with a new attitude after being weepy, angry and depressed all day yesterday. Obviously that frame of mind does nothing to help me! Whatever is wrong, I just need to figure it out and come up with a plan. I have to begin to think positively that this is just a bump in the road. Pain can be so exhausting and really work on one's psyche. I will get better eventually....or I will learn to cope and manage it.

@beachgal Thank you for your suggestions! I'm calling again. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I am very interested to see what Josephine thinks.
 
That's good Debbie...It's is so difficult to stay positive..... But you are doing it! Must say Ive had some very dark days during recovery and my imagination got the better of me more than once or twice (still does if the truth be known)!!!! Hoping Josephine can help )well if she can't ... No one can!
It's worth keep ringing your OS to get the appointment.... If it turns out to be nothing that's good.... And if there's a problem it needs to be sorted.
Keep positive, anger & frustration wears you down too much.... Thinking of you and hoping some answers come soon! Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom