Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain in hip after nine years.

he thinks what is happening is that my hip is shucking a little bit. The ball moves very slightly in and out of the cup when I walk, enough for me to feel it and for it to make noise. He then showed it to me on a model. He made it out to be a very small movement and I was able to identify the sound as what I am hearing in my hip. I do feel I have good stability there and don't have any feeling of weakness or any feeling like it is going to pop out. He said that it might get better as the muscles get tighter (and it might not) and as long as I'm not having any pain, it is not really a concern.
another new word I learned today! And a very descriptive one too.But it appears he's pretty much confirmed what I said.
Should I be seeking a second opinion at this point? Should I be worried or just wait for awhile? I am feeling good. It is more annoying than anything. I have noticed in the last few days it isn't happening with every step like it has been. I have been able to take several steps throughout the day where it doesn't happen, so maybe it is getting better as I get stronger.
No need. Almost everybody experiences 'shucking' at some point. Some are just more aware of it than others. Some are more bothered by it than others. Overall it's of no consequence whatsoever and will go away when you regain tone in your muscles. And note I said tone not strength! It's different!
 
A big whew! for you.....
So glad to hear that! :friends:
Now, just take it a bit easier on yourself in the gym, ok?
 
@Josephine Thank you SO much. I am so happy. :happydance:I am feeling 100% better with your confirmation. You have been such a help to me throughout this recovery and you have never steered me wrong. You are nothing short of amazing. What an asset you are to this forum. :wowspring:

@MajorHeidi @Hoppy Nanny Thanks for always being there. It is appreciated.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.
 
Today I am 14 weeks post op and I am feeling so good. I can hardly believe that just under two weeks ago I was having so much thigh pain that I could barely walk! So, I went back to basics by resting, icing, taking regular pain meds and using my cane and suddenly everything got better! It was almost 3 months to the day when I noticed a vast improvement in my recovery journey. It just goes to show that our hips are in charge. We can't rush it. It just doesn't work.
Today we went to the fair and I walked and walked and walked! :walking:I didn't even need my cane. I am a little sore tonight, but it's not bad and I am sitting here with ice now just because it always feels good and I know it can't hurt. :ice: Yesterday I did a spin class and felt great. I am so happy because I feel it's all uphill from here. :yahoo:Next week we leave for a three week cruise to the U.K and Ireland and I am ready!
 
Terrific!!!! Will try and keep the weather good here for you in the UK....it's been glorious....take it easy Debbie won't you ..,make time to rest too on your cruise..... I'm off to Somerset for a week...in" the middle of Wimbledon tennis too... Bad call! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Yea, Debbie! So glad all is working out so very well and hoping your cruise is/was terrific too! Wow! Three weeks to just bask in feeling great! You must be so very, very happy. :yes!::martini:
 
A new question for @Josephine. I am on holiday in Amsterdam. I am almost 16 weeks post op. Yesterday I tripped on a rail in the road and fell pretty hard on my new hip. My husband helped me up. I seem to be okay. I am sore in the spot where I hit the pavement, and my muscles feel a little bruised up in my leg. I am limping a little more today and have been using my cane. I won't be home until July 28. Would you recommend that I see my surgeon when I get home to make sure I didn't hurt something or loosen the prothesis? I appreciate your opinion. Thank you.
 
From what you've said I wouldn't think so. See how it goes. If it starts to hurt within the next few days - I mean really hurt - then think again.
 
Good golly Debbie! You be careful. But have a great time on your vacay!!
 
Hi @Dmcfad2... I hope you're doing ok and can still enjoy the sights of Amsterdam! I live in fear of tripping or falling... managed to do it several times pre hip... if all else fails I'm sure you could attend an OS in UK or Ireland on your trip if you felt you wanted some reassurance.... enjoy the rest of your trip!
 
Crikey Debbie....glad you are ok after the fall....hope the soreness wears off and you can enjoy the rest of your holidays! I'm sure if anything was wrong you would be in really bad pain ...it's more the worry aspect I'm sure. Take care. Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Debbie - saw you on Brian's thread and hopped over here to see your report of your (hopefully) delightful cruise in spite of "no pain-free" days since surgery. :what: :thud: You had sounded optimistic and was hoping it wasn't just optimism. It is difficult to remember pain free when you are in pain as well as to remember pain when you are pain-free!
I've taken to keeping a pain "journal" so as to better remember for me as well as when at doctor appointment because I don't know about others but I am always always pain-free when I have a doctor's appointment!:shrug:
 
Hi Debbie, glad you enjoyed that nice long cruise.
I am sorry you are still in pain.
I've had a few depressing days myself..... I have some groin pain and most likely IT band pain I believe
from overdoing the walking and recumbent bike. Just too much.... so, I am resting for a couple days to
see if that fixes it.
I hope your pain is also muscle pain. Hugs
 
@Me2 @MajorHeidi @Hoppy Nanny @JoeL @Plumberbutt and anyone else I missed. Hi, you all! Thanks for posting to my thread. I am back from my cruise. We had a fantastic time. Ireland, the UK, England, Holland and France were just beautiful. I did alot of walking and really realized I'm not recovered yet. I still have such a hard time walking anything longer than a short distance. I get pain and then start to limp. My fall didn't help matters any. I am still black and blue where I fell, but it is feeling better and I don't think I did any damage. I am going in to see my surgeon this Friday just in case for x-rays and to discuss the continuing pain I am having when walking. I am still having some significant swelling in my thigh and calf, too. I hope it is just part of recovery and that I will get better. I admit I am discouraged because I really haven't seen any improvement in weeks now. Sheryl, when I say I have had no pain-free days, it is true. I have many pain-free periods, but as soon as I start to walk around I have continuing thigh pain and this has been going on for a long time. Also, when I put full weight on my hip by standing on one leg and then let off by switching to the other leg, I get a deep aching that runs down my thigh. I know I have posted some good reports, but in all honesty, they are during periods where I haven't been doing anything much but sitting around. I have no pain when I am at rest. Walking is my problem. I just can't put weight on my leg without pain. I still have a lot of incision pain, too. My arthritis pain is gone, but I have traded it for this new pain that is more debillitating to me than the arthritis pain was. I try to stay positive and patient, but just get so down sometimes. I look forward to the day where I can walk all day long and not suffer for days afterwards. That was my goal in having this surgery! Right now, just walking a couple of blocks will give me pain. That just doesn't seem right to me at over 4 months post op. Claire, I hope you feel better soon!
 
Sorry to hear this Debbie....but I can relate to some extent. I still think my hip feels a bit warm at the incision, but it looks good. Ice still does make it feel better, but I do know I don't baby it and do most things that I normally would before...except jumping and climbing around...I try to avoid that as it just doesn't work and I am not as flexible yet and I hope the key word is "yet". My PT said if it still needs some stretching to come back in around the beginning of September so we'll see how it goes then. Best wishes to you and hope you start getting this pain taken care of!!! So happy you enjoyed your cruise.....sounds AWESOME!!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom