THR Pain in hip after nine years.

I just found your thread @Dmcfad2 after a search for thigh pain. :yes!:I have the same thigh pain you have except that it never was in the back of the thigh. I put weight on my operated leg and when I take the weight off I have pain flowing through the front of my thigh. Just like you described. I am 1 1/2 years post op and have suddenly developed groin pain, probably from overdoing it but I havent got a diagnosis yet.
I see my surgeon on the 21st for a checkup. My massage therapist thinks I may need to strengthen my glutes on that side. I am seeing my PT on Monday for her opinion. I am hoping the groin pain is bursitis and not something worse.
The thigh pain comes and goes and usually when I start walking I have pain in various places but once I get going the pain goes away.
I do have a bad back with listhesis so the pain may radiate from my back. Anyhow I am so glad to find I am not the only one with this weird thigh pain. :yes:
Like you I was very active and in great shape until this hip attack and I have gained about 15 pounds and I feel 10 years older. I turned 70 in May and could always keep up to my women friends who were 10 years younger. Not any more! :blackcloud:
It sure takes long to get over this -I don't have anywhere near the energy I used to have and I do get depressed.
I will get back to you if I ever find out what is causing this thigh pain when weight is taken off the op leg.
I feel silly being so happy to find someone that has the same pain I have!
Cheers!
Diane
Hello, Diane and Sheryl,

I saw another surgeon who didn't really help me. He didn't even take new x-rays. He is in the same office as my last surgeon, so that is probably the problem. Anyway, he said something about this happening to a lot of people but it is usually gone in a year. Something about the ridgity of the implant inside the bone. I don't know. I didn't get it and felt dismissed by him. In the meantime, I still have this pain every single day and it has been 2 1/2 years now. Some days it is worse than others, but always there. Sometimes when I start to walk I have to shuffle /slide my foot on that side until the pain leaves my thigh and then I can lift it and take a real step. It is very painful. Discouraging.
The groin pain in my other hip has subsided somewhat. The surgeon didn't think I should do another replacement yet. So, I am right where I was when I went to see him. Then, while I was in the office checking out, my original surgeon walked in and asked how I was doing. I mumbled something and got out of there. I felt bad, like I was going behind his back. It wasn't good. Then, I saw him a week later when I went for my scheduled cortisone shot. He said something about me seeing the other Doctor. I just told him he was hard to get in to see, which is true. Anyway, until I go outside my HMO, I guess I won't be getting any satisfaction. GRanny, please let me know what you find out. I am interested. Don't think mine is bursitis, it's been going on too long. But, all x-rays, mri's, bone scans have looked good, so who knows?
 
@Dmcfad2 - What a pain! Docs and hips! lol I am so sorry to hear that you are still struggling with pain after so long. My massage therapist is excellent and helped, recommending strengthening of my glutes. My regular physio had a baby and the new girl is not as knowledgeable. I had dry needling which helped with the groin pain. She thinks I just have a strain. She gave me new exercises to do to strengthen my glutes and I did them for 3 days but today, the 4th day, was too painful. I need to take tylenol and advil in order to walk and do the exercises. It is very frustrating. I will see my surgeon next week and ask him what he thinks and get back to you.
If you can get dry needling it works for muscle spasms. It is like acupuncture with an electrical charge.
I have been walking 4 or 5 kms every day - that's 2 to 3 miles but I would like to walk more and do it without pain.
I did read a post by one woman on Bonesmart who said she had pain for a year and woke up one morning and it was gone.
I hope that happens to us!
I will get back to you after I see my surgeon next week.
Diane
 
Debbie, Diane, so good to hear from you both ...

Debbie, I can understand how frustrating and disappointing it has to be with left side still being so bad. My left/first hip is still amazing, but the right/second hip/back still continues to feel much worse. I have the back pain which started about the same time as hips, was always attributed to the hips, and doctors gave me high hopes that it would go away with having both hips done. Back pain came back about 8 weeks after second THR which then they said would hopefully go away with the SI surgery which did help for about 12-16 weeks then that was interrupted with the awful shoulder pain. Finally now, ten months later and three surgeries, I am starting to be able to use them normally with minimal pain. NOW, back is worse then ever,

AND, reading your recent posts, I seem to have the same groin and thigh pain to accompany it.
In the meantime, I still have this pain every single day and it has been 2 1/2 years now. Some days it is worse than others, but always there. Sometimes when I start to walk I have to shuffle /slide my foot on that side until the pain leaves my thigh and then I can lift it and take a real step. It is very painful. Discouraging.

I tried a new pain management doctor who indicated I should have hip checked by a revisionist. I made an appointment but had to cancel since I'm training new staff and couldn't get away. Admittedly, big part is scared to death. Not sure whether I'd rather them say it is the hip and JUST need to redo the hip OR nope still unknown back problem. Maybe, we ought to both just make the appointment and go -- Are you certain there is no doctor within your HMO that is with a different practice? If so, I think I would have to definitely just find one. I guess I'm lucky being in Pittsburgh where we seem to have plenty of competition so that I have a choice of orthopedic groups all within minutes of my house.

Finally, had appointment with old pain specialist, and he did recommend acupuncture, too. My physical therapist keeps assuring me that she will work on back issues as soon as I can and not hurt my shoulders. I truly am SO VERY tired of hurting. Six surgeries in just over two years, and I feel like I deserve to be better.

Diane, you mentioned bursitis, and I'm wondering . . . when I had my one year follow up on hips, the doctor did bone scan to check hip and said it showed a possibility of bursitis. He indicated that is unusual after hip replacement but did an injection. It did seem to help with groin and thigh pain. I suppose I should see if I can eliminate that part of it. Maybe that pain and back pain not related. So tired of doctors "practicing"
 
He indicated that is unusual after hip replacement but did an injection.
Not sure why your doc would say this is unusual. We see many people on this board with bursitis post THR. An injection usually does the trick.
 
  • Informative
Reactions: Me2
Hi Debbie! @Dmcfad2 and @Me2
I had an X-ray and visit with my ortho doctor and he said my X-rays looked very good. I asked about the thigh pain and groin pain and he thinks it is coming from my back. He is sending a letter to my family doctor but I already know my back is bad with retrolisthesis and more.
So I guess I keep on with the exercises and walking, dry needling when it becomes too painful. Wish they could give me non-invasive treatment for the back problems. I really want to stay active and would love to be pain free.
I am not much help -sorry!
Diane
 
Wish they could give me non-invasive treatment for the back problems.
Have you tried an osteopath? I have chronic lower back problems and worked with an osteopath post LTHR. It really did help.
 
I just thought I would update. Still having thigh pain since my LTHR almost 3 years ago....nothing has really changed. However, I have discovered that when I am having that pain, if I pull/bend my knee up towards my chest and then release it, the pain goes away. This leads me to believe that it is some kind of nerve pain, that perhaps my implant is touching a nerve?? Sometimes it seems I can feel a slight movement of the implant when I do this. Any ideas??
 
Sounds like sciatic pain. Have you thought about seeing a chiropractor or osteopath?
 
I had a hip replacement in 2014. The last two days I have had pain in my outer hip right where the joint is. I tried calling my doctor, but they are closed today. Just wondering if I should be concerned about loosening? It seems too early but who knows? Anyone else had this happen? Thanks for any replies.
 
Hi Debbie,
I am sorry you're dealing with pain currently. I think it's too early to concern yourself with loosening since its only been two days. Has your activity changed over the past week? Consider rest, ice and OTC meds as needed and touch base with your OS's office next week if its not improving.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. I edited your thread title to reflect your current concern with your left hip since we're only allowed one thread on the recovery side, per hip, if it's your choice to have a separate thread for each hip.

I hope the pain eases for you soon. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
@Dmcfad2
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom