Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain in hip after nine years.

Today I am 8 weeks post op. Things are definitely improving. These are the milestones this week.

I notice my ROM and flexibility is increasing. I can now touch the heel of my left foot and ALMOST get my sock on. I can lift my leg higher.

I have very little pain anymore. I get a little sore by the end of the day, but it is not bad. I have completely stopped Norco and only take an occasional Tylenol.

I have ditched my cane permanently. I am walking better every day. I still have to concentrate. It's not natural yet; I am always aware of my hip, but it is SO much better. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I am back to the gym, riding the exercise bike and elliptical. I am building up my time very slowly. I don't want a setback. This week I am at 20 minutes with low resistance. My goal is back to spin classes within the next month. I do all of my exercises, PT and the gym and am not even sore the next day. I am also going to start chair yoga. It feels so good to be back in the gym!

I am able to lay on my operated side now, but am still more comfortable laying on my good side. The funny thing is I now enjoy sleeping on my back and I was never a back sleeper!

My scar is looking good. I think I'll be back in my bikini by summer, if I can get rid of the 6 pounds I've gained!

My hip feels stronger every day. I can easily do my PT exercises and he keeps giving me more challenging things to do because I am progressing so rapidly.

8 weeks has really been a major turnaround for me. Things are looking up. I never have weepy moments anymore. My emotions have leveled out.

On a more solemn note, we are having horrible fires here in San Diego. My son had to evacuate yesterday and is still not able to go back home this morning. The fire was right up to his back yard, so we are praying the fire fighters were able to defend his home. Please keep us in your prayers.
 
So sorry to hear about your son's property. Natural disasters are so hard to recover from (my mom's home went through Hurricane Katrina). Hope the firefighters were able to stop the flames. You'll be in my prayers.
 
Great 8 week update Debbie....so glad to hear that! I too, sleep mainly on my back....never ever thought I would get used to it but sleep well...it's funny that the things we worry about pre op turn out to be good!! Do hope all goes well with your son...such a worry! Keep up the hood work..Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Oh Deb, you sound awesome. What a great report. So happy things are progressing so well for you. I am praying that all works out for your son and his home. Continued success my friend! Hugs, jackie
 
Thanks, Jackie @Jp9294 things are definitely getting better. :yes!: My son's home is safe, too. Thanks to everyone for their prayers and good thoughts!
 
So good so good . . . Yes, things are definitely getting better!
 
I am a little worried today because I am still having pain in my hip when I walk and feel like it should be getting better, but it doesn't seem to be. I ditched my cane last week, but I have started using it again because I limp without it. The pain I feel is mainly in the back of my thigh and also around my incision. I can ride the exercise bike with no problem, but when I walk, the weight bearing still hurts quite a bit. I don't know if I should be worried or if this is still normal at 8 1/2 weeks out and it will still get better over time. I tried to walk on the treadmill today, but stopped at 12 minutes because it was so uncomfortable. I am taking Tylenol but it doesn't seem to help.
 
Debbie, it's very normal to still be having pain at 8 weeks out. It's possible that the tylenol by itself just isn't enough yet. I was still taking tramadol at 10 weeks, and then continued with just a daily celebrex for several months beyond that. Many of us need to continue pain meds for a lot longer than we thought we would. You mentioned that you're taking tylenol....are you taking enough, often enough, to have it be effective? Check out this article for appropriate dosing.
Medications: NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers

It's also possible that you overdid it at some point and have strained or irritated some soft tissue. Pain is telling you something....if we only understood the language it's speaking! But the vast majority of the time it's telling us to slow down, take it easier, be gentler. Sounds like it's time for a retreat (frustrating, I know!) back to the basics....rest, ice, take consistent pain relief. Once the pain is back under control, tweak things gradually and slowly so you can isolate whether you need more or less meds, and can handle more or less activity.

It will definitely get better over time....healing takes at least a year and probably up to two. Long after the implant is firmly cemented in and long after the incision is just a pale scar, there is so much soft tissue that needs to heal. Most of the time, it's those muscles and tendons and such that give us so much grief, especially when we do too much too soon and bring on some tendonitis. Don't let it get that far...patience now truly does pay off later.

Sharon
 
@sharonslp Thank you so much for your reply. I am only taking Tylenol when I feel like I need it. I don't take it consistently. When I take it, I do take 1000 mg. I will start taking 1000 mg. 4 times a day for awhile to see if that helps. I still have hydrocodone, but would prefer not to take it. Maybe I quit taking it too soon. I did feel like I was progressing better when I was still taking it. If the Tylenol at full dosage doesn't work in a few days, maybe I will try it again to try to get the pain under control.
I will try to back off my activity a little and see if that helps, too. I really appreciate your response. It has relieved my mind.
 
@Josephine I have a question for you. I have a pain in the back of my thigh that I feel when I am weight bearing. I really notice it when walk, but not when riding a bike. If I press on it, it is sore. This pain is really bothering me when I walk, so much so that I don't want to walk. The pain is between L1b and L2b and G on your chart. It doesn't seem to be improving as time goes on. I am a little over 8 weeks post op and feel like I should not be having that much pain anymore. What do you think? Is this just part of the healing process?

On a different note, I have also noticed my scar has been very irritated the last two days and is quite red in spots. But, it doesn't seem to be infected, just red. I might have irritated it with the clothing I was wearing rubbing on it a few days ago, as that is when it started. I put some antibiotic cream on it last night and it seems a little better today, but it is sore. I have uploaded a picture of it that I took last night. Could you give me your opinion, please? Thank you.

[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Debbie, until Josephine gets to you, my incision looked similar when I saw my OS last week. I had been keeping generally hands off. He told me to massage across the incision, just kind of rub it to break up the collagin (I think was his explanation?) It did make mine feel better and three days later it does look better, too. Mine is in front so I have gotten into habit of "rubbing" it by putting my hands in pocket so as not to be constantly touching, but their just cotton so probably really doesn't make difference.
(So happy Roseann was back for awhile last night.)
 
Hey Deb!
Great to hear your report. I am six weeks PO and feeling similar to you on the surgical leg, it is now my 'strong' leg. I still have some burning pain in the back of my thigh. It has reduced itself to 'by touch or pressing on it' causes pain. I drove for two hours this weekend to be with my 86 yr. old mother - she was worried about her sister in San Diego and we talked on the phone with her, and they are OK out there. Our thoughts are with you - fire has come very close to my aunt's home out there before, you be safe. Let Josephine give some good advice, I'm so happy to have one good leg, of course my other leg says its time for another surgery. Your other leg OK?
 
@Me2 Thanks, Sheryl, for telling me about your scar. Mine is certainly irritated right now and I keep getting pins and needle type pains in it while I sit here. I think my pants rubbed it and got it angry. It isn't quite as red tonight...I'm hoping it is getting better.

@waterman1 My right "good" leg is hanging in there. I was having a lot of groin pain in it before my LTHR and my OS thought it might get somewhat better after surgery and it seems to be doing okay right now. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I won't need another surgery for awhile. I'm glad your aunt's house was safe from the fires!
 
Debbie....Hey!!! I can tell you that my pain comes after I exercise or walk for a long period of time...like on the bike trails where I live....I think you should really go slow for we are still in the healing stage...Even though we feel much better and can do the things we love to do...Your scar looks similar to mine...your looks just a little irritated..maybe it was you clothes...it doesn't look infected...just.keep an eye on it....The week before last I was really bad...and it was just from taking a mile walk....so now I break it up.....I think we are all going through the same thing so don't worry....the aches and pains pop up all over....make sure you massage your scar ...my physical therapist told me to do it to get that tightness out...When I press my my thigh its very sore...Oh geez look I am starting to whine,,,,,lol....but really I think we are all sailing in the same boat.....recovering.....xo
 
@chaseyboy I really get freaked out sometimes. I just think I should be doing better than I am...I don't know. Some people on here are walking with no pain at 3 weeks and I am still having pain. I have definitely made progress. I have had really good days, but have done the now familiar two steps forward, one step back this week. Then, I wonder if I will ever get there. I try to be positive because I know it makes a big difference in my attitude, but find these little setbacks really mess with my mind. Walking right now is a struggle for me. I am always aware of my hip and the pain in my thigh. I saw elsewhere where you say you feel normal now and that is so fantastic! I don't yet. Oh, well. I hope it will come. I am anxious to hear what Josephine thinks.
 
Just a note to let you know that Jo had to work today and it will be at least tomorrow before she can get to your tag.
 
You mean about here?

[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.


I don't think that's anything to do with your hip - more like tendinitis. What have you been doing lately?
Some people on here are walking with no pain at 3 weeks and I am still having pain. I am a little over 8 weeks post op and feel like I should not be having that much pain anymore. What do you think?
I think that they didn't have your op and you didn't have theirs! Stop making comparisons and remember that at 8 weeks you are still in recovery and likely to have these aches and pains from time to time. Take some paracetamol!
I have also noticed my scar has been very irritated the last two days and is quite red in spots.I put some antibiotic cream on it last night
I don't think it looks infected either. But if is doesn't settle down in a couple of weeks, go see your GP.

But never ever put creams or potions on your wound/scar. Certainly not antibiotic creams which you've presumably had for a while, yes? Then throw it away. Once you have opened the container, it's contaminated and you don't want to compromise your wound, do you?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom