Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain in hip after nine years.

Thank you @Hoppy Nanny, Chrissie, you are always so positive and have been a real help to me throughout my recovery roller coaster ride! @fulafoto, Bill, thanks for the encouragement. I know you are coming up soon and you are well prepared!
 
I still cannot reach to put on my sock and shoe on my operated side. I cannot put my foot on my knee in the figure 4 position or lift my knee far enough to reach my foot. This has me a little frustrated. Has anyone else had a problem this far out (6 weeks) from surgery? I see people on here who were doing it at 3 weeks post op. I know, here I go comparing again!!
 
@Dmcfad2 I can't do the figure 4 thing either. It's funny because I didn't realize I couldn't do it until I was given exercises to help me stretch so I'll be able to. I hadn't thought to try due to my precautions. I'm getting there, inching my op side foot up my other shin a little at a time. Take heart, we're getting there.
I've been very blessed with a mostly pain free recovery - until today that is - I sneezed and Ouch! something pulled on my op side. Go figure - the silliest things can happen:) Gave me a good excuse to make this a very lazy Sunday.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Dmcfad2 , didn't you have some restrictions with your type of surgical approach? Just wasn't sure how soon any of your home exercises were implemented. I will tell you that the exercise that got me there was: stand with feet shoulder length apart (I usually held onto something, the bar in my kitchen) and, knee bent raise leg straight up. In other words, the foot stays straight and knee goes straight into the air. Imagine giving someone the knee in the groin :heehee:. This is kind of an upgraded version of heel-slides that they make us do in the beginning, except now you are using gravity and your body. This is what got me able to lift my leg up and over my other leg (eventually). Ask your PT about it, or maybe you are already doing it and not realizing it. You are doing amazing, Debbie, you will be tying that shoe like a pro in no time!
 
@glmrphy Thanks for that exercise. I actually started doing that one a few days ago. I still do have restrictions, however the PA told me I could start doing more and to let my hip be my guide. He said the 90 degree restriction isn't as important as not planting my foot and twisting because of the approach I had. So, I have been pushing the 90 degree restriction the last few days, but my hip wasn't happy with some of what I was trying. Then I read about @czak57 who had subluxation and it scared me. So, I'm just going to slow down a little. It will come. I have faith! :prayer:
 
@teakea66 I live in San Diego, so I almost always wear flip flops! :SUNsmile: But, I wear my nikes for the gym and my walks and that is my problem!
 
@Dmcfad2 I'm green with envy over here in Connecticut:) hadn't thought about sneakers. Just gies to show you how much I think about exercise-lol .


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Dmcfad2
I've been very blessed with a mostly pain free recovery - until today that is - I sneezed and Ouch! something pulled on my op side. Go figure - the silliest things can happen:)

Aaahh! This made me chuckle, as I too sneezed today, and felt pain where I hadn't previously.... in the hip!
Sneezing is one of the most violent bodily actions apparently, so it isn't really surprising I suppose.
 
  • Informative
Reactions: Me2
I don't know what is going on with me right now, but I am having a lot of knee pain on my operated side! It has actually been there for a few weeks, just a niggly little pain, but today it is bad. I can barely put weight on it. It hurts right above the kneecap. I don't think I did anything to hurt it. I did ride the exercise bike for 10 minutes on Saturday at resistance level one, but I don't think that did it. When I was walking yesterday, I noticed it more than usual and then today, bam! I am sitting here with ice on my knee. I never had a knee problem before surgery.
 
Debbie...I've had bad knee pain on operated side since op...no hip pain just knee pain....not horrendous but always there...physio says can take up to a year to get right from bad gait previous to op and trauma from op. It doesn't stop me from walking but throbs during the night...I'm hoping it goes away.....it hurts at the front by the knee cap...still nothing like the hip pain! Isn't it frustrating , as like you...I've never had knee pain....but you are still early days in recovery ...love Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hey Debbie...You seem to be doing good....Well I took a nice long walk through the bike trails here where I live and OMGGGGGGGGG :gaah:I have been suffering. I guess I thought I was healed and ready to go...NOTTTTT....Seems I really over did it just with the walking....Geez and I thought I was doing a good thing....Sore as anything.....legs.. groin... the works....So I guess this does take some time to get back to where we were.....I mean before we had hip problems....LOL....That knee thing seems to be an issue for a lot of people,,,,did you have pain before the surgery>>? I did,,,my gait was so off the tracking in my knee went off..I have pain on the side of my knee. The dr said it should get better,,,so far it hasn't,...its not as bad but the pain is still there. I wear what they call a J brace. Keeps the knee cap strait..I have a lot of work to do on the operated leg. It atrophied just a little without me even realizing it from the way I was walking...limping and all...Over all though when I did that walk I was so amazed at how I had no hip pain. I will take a step back and let this hip heal,,,we really need to baby this for awhile...I thought I was ready for anything but I am not...you to....I was talking to a PA where I work,,,he said JoAnne it will take you at least 8 months or so to feel totally normal...with no stiffness ....and I think he may be right....Lets just take our time I guess. We will get there...Your knee pain may be from the way you walk and when our muscles are not strong on the leg the knee cap is not stable and moves around causing the pain....thats what the guys I work with tell me....Once the leg muscles get strong the knee should be Ok...hope they are right...You take care..This is hard work!!!!!:SUNsmile:
 
@chaseyboy @Hoppy Nanny Yes, this is hard work. My knee is feeling a bit better today, but I haven't been doing much of anything, not even walking. Just letting it rest. I am 7 weeks out today. My hip is definitely feeling stronger, but I still have a long way to go. I have very little pain anymore. Just some incision soreness and when I am on my feet a long time, my hip lets me know. I have trouble sitting on hard surfaces for more than 20 minutes, it is just uncomfortable. I am still using my cane most of the time, but that is as much for my knee soreness as it is for my hip. One day at a time.
 
Debbie, glad you are resting and going easier for a bit. It should help your knee...
I rested today, too.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Dmcfad2 stopping by to see how you're doing and glad the knee pain is subsiding a bit. I'm not getting alerts so I am missing some posts but will catch up eventually.

I'm with you on the pain after sitting....although for me it's not necessarily on a hard surface. It's just sitting still with my leg down for too long. And it still hurts getting back up and I swear that feels like my knee more than my hip. I pray I'm wrong.

I have done a couple of big box stores without the cane but usually have a shopping cart to lean on when I start to get tired. Without that I would still have the cane just in case.

Hoping the rest is helping and you can start to see progress again soon!
Pam
 
@AndisMom Hi, Pam. Thanks for checking in on me. I am feeling pretty good today. I have been walking without my cane, but it is hard. It still feels awkward to me. My knee feels better, so I started doing some PT exercises again today to try to strengthen the hip. I know what you mean about not knowing if it's hip or knee. I seem to be having that problem, too. Although I knew it was knee the other day! When I wear a knee brace, I do seem to walk better, so maybe there is still some weakness there. I don't know. I plan on going to the gym again tomorrow to ride the bike. That felt good. Have a happy Mother's Day!
 
Back
Top Bottom