BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

[THR] New Hip -Now bionic!!<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Cas, Nov 24, 2016.

1. baclectic

baclectic Member

United States United States
    @Cas - been thinking of you this morning and wondering how you're managing. So sorry you're dealing with the flu on top of everything else. The only good side to it is it's got a faster recovery than your hip replacement, although I can't conceive of you having to deal with both. Hope the wine helped and today brings you some reprieve from your symptoms. Feel better and know that you're appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Cas

Cas Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    :cheers:a bit late but Happy New Year all

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. chatterz

chatterz Member

Happy New Year to you as well! Have the antibiotics helped drum that cold out of your chest?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cas

Cas Senior

Well am back on recliner, to kitchen,to bathroom. Have been laid up for a week wih flu and chest infection. Feeling exauhsted with just doing nothing. Haven't got the energy to attempt stairs and can't sleep in bed anyway as I cough all the time. Looking on the bright side it does mean my hip has had an extra week of healing with me not doing much at all. The least bit of effort and am shattered. Hopefully will be ok in a few days otherwise will need more meds to clear it up. Roll on 2017 and a brill new Year. Hope everyone is healing well will keep you updated .

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Krista

Krista Graduate

Oh, @Cas, what bad luck to get so sick during recovery! Hope you get well soon. Take care! :eeeuw:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Cas

Cas Senior

@Krista thanks for your post. I will get there just got to be patient. I also have a lowered immune system which doesn't help. If I catch something it's always much worse than normal. Am a walking disaster really LOL! :rofsign:
    I also rattle with all the meds I have to take! It's 3 o clock am here - can't sleep - what time do you have?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Krista

Krista Graduate

@Cas, it's 9:30 pm here. I hurt all over! I've been putting away Christmas, and re-organizing all of my ornaments and holiday items after decades of just dumping everything together. Will have to finish tomorrow...I hope!

Sorry you can't sleep. I'm going to take some acetaminophen. I think my sleep will take care of itself, as I am very tired. :bored:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Cas

Cas Senior

@Kirsta LOL have the Christmas stuff to do as well but not looking forward to it. So sorry you're feeling so tired I think it goes with the territory. Hope your meds help with the pain and you have a better day tomorrow. Take care and have a good rest .

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Cas

Cas Senior

Hi all just a quick question for the ladies on here - sorry guys not being sexist! .. When out and about how do you manage with public toilets when you can't find a disabled one? I find them all too low and a real problem to use. Anyone else have this problem?

• Like Like x 1
  10. gertie

gertie Graduate

@Cas So far I've always found a disabled stall to use. Not sure what I'd do with a regular toilet, even at 8 + weeks out--it would be most likely to come up when visiting friends I think--in fact it's part of the reason I opted not to go to a friend's house for T-giving dinner--couldn't imagine using her low toilet at a little over a month out. I seem to remember conversations on here about carrying something like a "she-wee" for just such situations.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Cas

Cas Senior

@gertie thanks for that info will have to get one. What a going on we do have LOL!!!

12. ultimatewd

ultimatewd New Member

Been thinking about you @Cas! How are you feeling?

God bless,
    Kristen
    [LTHR 12/13/16]

13. Cas

Cas Senior

@ultimatewd Hi thanks for the message. Sometimes we feel alone and isolated especially when we're in this recovery thing that seems never ending LOL ! I think after 12 days of dying in a recliner I am slowly returning to the land of the living!:giggle: . Am feeling much better thanks.

How are you doing? Have brain fog are you 3 weeks post op?
    We cooked the xmas turkey for the cats and dog as my daughter and I were both too ill to eat it:yellowcat::dogsniff: They have had a great time !

Hope you are keeping ok have a wonderful 2017

14. Cas

Cas Senior

I am now 9 weeks post op and have been reading through my recovery thread. It's amazing how far I've come!! You don't realise it until you go back and read it all. It makes me feel so much more positive that there is a light at the end of the tunnel - it's just going to take me a while longer. How long? well how longs a piece of string? Think I've finally accepted that my body and not me is in charge! LOL. Am looking forward to Spring and being able to get out and do a bit in the garden and also to July as we are flying to Barra for the weekend for my birthday - I'll be 8 months post op by then - YIPPEE.
    hope you are all feeling well and recovering steadily. Hugs to all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. chatterz

chatterz Member

@Cas, I'm so glad you're feeling better. That illness was a doozy to add to your recovery from surgery.

I was going to fly to Vegas, but I'm kind of concerned about setting off the metal detector. I do not want a pat-down, but it looks quite possible. How do folks handle flying after a hip replacement?

16. Cas

Cas Senior

@chatterz hi don't know about flying. Will find out in July as that will be the first time in the air since op. I do know that you're not supposed to fly for the first 6 weeks or is it 7? Can't remember. It would be great fun though to set the alarms of:yahoo:. Maybe they'd have to exray us to see it LOL.. Just had a look on forum and it says no flying in the first 12 weeks!!!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  17. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

@Cas So glad you are feeling better. Your comment about reading through your thread is exactly why we encourage members to post their updates. You really don't realise how far you have come until you look back at your posts.
    I have flown both internationally and within the US since my THRs. I have never set off an alarm in an airport. I did set off an alarm when boarding EuroStar. All you need to do is go a bit early so that you allow time for a scan. They will need to have a female guard do this so be sure you allow a bit of time in case they have to find one.

18. Cas

Cas Senior

@Jaycey hi there - it's me again! Have coughed so hard and so much this last 10 days. My hip is now sore and am wondering if it's just strained muscles and nothing sinister going on in there. Quite painful to walk about - after I was doing so well. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

19. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

You may have strained muscles. Does resting and ice ease this? Maybe check with your GP as this flu seems to have really hit you!

20. Cas

Cas Senior

@Jaycey Hi just returned from the doctor. Thought I'd try making it to surgery. Am now exhausted. Have bad case of bronchitis and my chest is really become very tight. Am now armed with another course of antibiotics and a course of steroids plus an inhaler !! Explained to the doctor that I haven't slept properly since xmas day and she told me I was really run down and exhausted - need rest. Also mentioned the pain around hip and feeling I was going backwards. She was really good and reassured me that everything was ok with the hip and no the infection I have wouldn't spread to the hip. WHeeew was worried. She also said that all the muscle pain was due to the constant coughing and not being as mobile as I have been. Well I may have gone back a few weeks in recovery but felt so much better after I had seen her - even shed a few tears in there. Have had a few blue days and felt so ill . Sorry to be a pain and a nag - am usually a half glass full kind of person but this has really taken its toll on me.