THR New Hip -Now bionic!!<

well folks drove my car today !!!!!!!! wow-yippee-yahoo !!!!!!! It was wonderful to get behind the wheel again. Thigh and groin was a bit stiff but not too bad. I think I'll have another go tomorrow and if it's still a bit stiff will leave it for a few days. Have a bit of pain in buttock and groin tonight so maybe I need to wait a bit longer. Am now off to elevate in bed and hopefully get a good nights sleep. Will catch you all tomorrow. Take care.
 
well folks drove my car today !
Big milestone for you. Well done! It will get easier each time. Stiffness is normal - still lots of soft tissue healing going on. Just keep icing and elevating.
 
@Jaycey sorry to bother you. I had pain today in groin and round hip joint. Do you think its ok to keep driving? I see my OS next wed 21st Dec. I do want to drive there but it's an hour each way to the hospital. There is no one to take me in as they are all busy that day so have to go by 2 buses and a train instead or go by medi bus which will take all day. I dread doing either as I will be exauhsted by the end of a long stressful day. Your advice would be much appreciated.
 
No bother my friend. You are still recovering so will have hip/groin pain. If you are confident making an emergency stop then I would drive. You might get stiff from holding the leg in the same position for awhile. But I did a 6 hour journey 4 weeks post op. Used those sport "instant" ice packs and it was fine.
 
@Jaycey thanks for the advice. It was the pain in groin when I drove back that bothered me but I'm sure if nec I could do an emergency brake! Lifting the leg up and down when braking was a bit painful and was scared I was doing some damage!
 
Good luck with your appointment on 21st Cas.
You'll be great I'm sure.
Buy the way I'm a big Leeds Utd supporter. Been to Elland Road a few times.
My brother and his wife own a creche/playschool. Very rewarding work
Keep well. Joe.
 
@Irish Joe Thanks for your post. Was a bit worried about the pain when driving but it would be so much easier if I go by car - only half a day as opposed to all day! I am not a football fan but my daughter is - she's also bonkers about cricket. We both love Ireland and have been there a few times, both north and south. My mothers family come from Donegal crossed with Scottish. We also adore Scotland. Hope all is going well with you.
 
was scared I was doing some damage!
Driving would not cause any damage. Having to make a hard emergency stop might jar things and make you sore. But sounds like you are well on your way!
 
:loveshwr:@Jaycey oooh thanks makes me want to drive now even if it does hurt a bit! What a star you are
 
As your muscles get more toned driving will get easier. Start with short drives or make sure you stop often on longer journeys. I did a 6 hour drive at 4 weeks post RTHR. Took those sport (instant) ice packs but never used them. Stopped twice. I was stiff but nothing more. BTW - that journey was moving from South London to East Yorkshire - hey we are neighbours!
 
@Cas Scots, Irish and Yorkshire. There's no doubt you'll get better.
Take you time though. In a short time you'll get into your car without thinking.
Joe.
 
@Irish Joe Yes we are a mixture My husband was Welsh cross Yorkshire LOL ! Think we are a Right Keltic mix. How are you doing was just going to have a look round the forum
 
@Jaycey Thank you for the re assurance. Yes we are, I live in a small village an hour from York, an hour from Bridlington and an hour from Hull. We are just on the edge of the wolds - where are you?
 
@Cas I am about 2 miles from Brid - near the famous Seabird Centre.
 
:wow: @Jaycey wow we really are neighbours. We must catch up sometime in person you have been so helpful .
 
Well folks Christmas cards posted ( they will have to arrive late this year ) trees put up hallway and one sitting room decorated. What I don't get done by Thursday night will stay in boxes till next year !!!!!! It's the big day tomorrow and have a list of questions for my OS when I see him. Hopefully he will tell me alls ok. Am 7 weeks post op on Thursday. can't believe it's nearly been 2 months since my op !
 
I've found some driving tricks. First of all, I've become quite adept at using my left foot on the brake and my right one on the accelerator. It was painful to switch my right foot from accelerator to brake and back again.

Also getting in and out of car is rough, so I push the seat all the way back AND push the back of the seat back. That way I can lie back in getting my right leg out of the car. I find this easier. Then it's also in the correct position when I re-enter the car.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Jaycey been to see OS today saw his assistant and he doesn't want to see me again until Nov 2017. He was pleased with my walking and gait and felt I was progressing well. Asked about restrictions of movement 90 degree etc and after consulting with OS he advised following -

1. No bending of knee past 90 degrees for a year.
2. No bending to tie shoe laces for a year.

Is this the norm? Or is he being over cautious?

Was hoping to gradually get this back. Also what about weeding garden etc come spring - forgot to mention this. He said I could bend at knees to pick stuff up but can't do that because I have bad knee! Also wouldn't that be bending knee more than 90 degrees?
Think I may have to call the ward phisio and see what they say.
any thoughts? Thanks
 
Is this the norm? Or is he being over cautious?
I am not a medical expert but I have never heard of either of these restrictions. What does your knee have to do with your new hip? How are you supposed to tie your shoes in the near future? Sounds totally over the top to me.
 
@Jaycey That's what I thought - thanks for reassurance that I was right. Think I will just try a little bit more bending at a time - surely my hip will tell me if I'm doing too much too soon? If it hurts don't do it. It's not as if I am suddenly going to touch my toes 20 times at speed right away LOL ! Bye the way drove 3 times yesterday without pain and today as well. Felt that was real progress.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom