BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

[THR] New Hip -Now bionic!!<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Cas, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Cas

Cas Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all had my op on November 3rd. This site has helped me loads especially the activity threads. Hope you can help with a question. I'm at the end of week 4 and supposed to be doing 10-20 minutes of walking. Is this on top of walking round the house. Do I have to go outside for a 20 min walk? The hospital and other sites don't make it very clear or I'm having a dumb moment! Am doing well I think. First day after op was in loads of pain and I did wonder if I'd done the right thing but by day 2 I was up sitting in a chair and going to the toilet on my own! Still had pain but not the horrendous constant pain I had before. I had bad nights where I had pain in heels and groin and back after I came home and tried all different position and pillows to see what was best. Now can lie flat with operated leg on a pillow and have no pain. Yippee!! Still only getting about 5 hours before I have to get up for the toilet or because of back pain ( back has been ongoing trouble for years and nothing can be done for that. the only time I'm comfy in bed is sleeping on my side and as that's a no no at the mo will have to put up with it for now. I still have pain in my buttock and thigh area but not too bad and am walking with one cane - improvement all the way! Thanks for reading Cas

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

@Cas A fellow Yorkshire lass - Welcome to BoneSmart! Congratulations on that new hip.
    At only 4 weeks out do what you can and don't stress about the time. If you are getting up and walking around the house regularly that's great. At 4 weeks many new hippies get cabin fever and want to get outside. If you do go outside take your walking aides and go a distance only half as far as you think you can go. If you feel fine after this walk, try a tiny bit more the next day. The trick is to build up gradually.
    I have chronic lower back issues as well. Put a pillow under your knees when you sleep on your back. It takes the pressure off the lower back.

Sounds like you are doing very well! I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer do during this journey"
    First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
    - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
    - if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
    - if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
    - if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
    - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
    - be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery
    Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
    Activity progression for THRs
    Home physio (PT)
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cas

Cas Senior

Thank you so much for your advice. I was suffering from cabin fever so my daughter took me out for a ride in the car. It was wonderful to be outside in the country again. Will Keep at the walking and excersises and try not to worry about the time element . This forum is ace you tend to get a bit neurotic when you think you're not doing enough or as the leaflets say. Will keep you all updated. Thanks again Cas.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cas

Cas Senior

:loveshwr:Have read all the info and articles and posts by others. Thank you for everything

5. Cas

Cas Senior

good morning all. Had 6 hours sleep last night. The best ever. Both my legs were very swollen last night after my first outing. Can you tell me where you put the icepack for best effect, on my legs or on the scar. Am presuming on the legs. I know I sound stupid but its a whole new world to me and you give such good advice

6. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Put the ice pack (covered with a tea towel) on an swollen area. Legs, scar - anywhere that feels swollen.

Well done on the long sleep!
    Not at all. It's all a bit overwhelming. Just stick with us. We are here to help!

7. Cas

Cas Senior

thank you once again.

8. gertie

gertie Senior

United States United States
    @Cas Welcome to the forum from the other side of the pond! I too just passed the 4 week mark and I know what you mean about cabin fever. Jaycey's advice about walking is right on target. I live in a neighborhood where houses are spaced about 100 feet apart and I measure my outdoor walks in driveways. First walk I went to my next door neighbor's drive and then turned around, next walk to the next drive, etc. Pretty soon I was walking a block before turning around. I have no idea how much time I spend up and walking during the day but I'm sure it's at least 20 minutes. My stamina for standing and walking has greatly increased over the weeks--and yours will too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cas

Cas Senior

Hi there thank You for the welcome. All the posts on here have been so helpful especially when you have no idea what to expect. The hospital leaflets etc don't take into account the individual so if you don't achieve whats on the list you start to panic. Have just passed the 3 week mark and getting more mobile and its easier to walk around now with just about 3 level pain. Its amazing how things go from -Oh MG when will the pain get better one day to OMG it' a bit better today and the next. Am so hoping I can soon get back to walking my dogs again after 2 years of severe mobility. The weather here is so keen and frosty with a blue sky and sunshine makes me want to go for a long walk outside. Your pic looks great all trees and outdoorsy - love the woods.

10. Cas

Cas Senior

can someone help me tp put my operation date on it keeps telling me I don't have permission thanks Carol

11. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

I can do this for you @Cas . Which hip did you have replaced?

12. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

@Cas :welome: to BS! Sounds like you are getting on well with your recovery. I still have a bit before my surgery but am, at this point, looking forward to it. :)

13. gertie

gertie Senior

This is a handicapped accessible trail near where I live--really pretty in the fall when the leaves change color. It's just a short stroll down to a stream and back to the road but an easy way to get out in the woods. Haven't walked there since the surgery--have been sticking to paved surfaces--but if the sun ever comes out again, I might try it out.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Cas

Cas Senior

thanks Jaycey. my right hip full replacement on November 3rd 2016. Much appreciated x

15. Cas

Cas Senior

Hi Gertie it looks lovely. I have access to a path through fields at my back door but have a half hour drive to woods and beach. LOve the woods best though and can't remember the last time I walked the dogs through them.

16. Cas

Cas Senior

Tweetybrd, what a lovely new year gift you will have. Keep positive its not as bad as you imagine at least I imagined the worst LOL ! You will be amazed how much better you will feel in yourself. Good luck Cas

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

Thanks!:)

18. Cas

Cas Senior

half way now through week 4 post op. Still having odd days with pain in right buttock but take a painkiller to help me along. Otherwise I am feeling a bit better and stronger every day. Am having some good nights and some disturbed ones-usually the dog wakes me or I wake up desperate for the loo ! My swollen legs and ankles are receding slowly and feeling much more like they used to. Just need to get the buttock pain better and will feel great. Thanks for reading x

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. gertie

gertie Senior

Glad you're feeling better @Cas. It does sometimes seem like a slow journey--that's one of the pluses of posting on here--we can look back at earlier posts and see how far we've come.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Sounds like you are doing well @Cas . The next 2 weeks will bring yet more progress. Keep those meds going on schedule and continue to ice and elevate. You got this!