THR New Hip -Now bionic!!<

@Cas So sorry to read about your back pain. I hope you are able to get some relief from physio.
 
@gertie thanks for asking. What a ride huh. JUst get hip going a bit better now can't walk without pain in back LOL ! must see physio although I can't afford to go privately. Was hoping I would be able to walk my dog and do housework. It looks like I have to choose between them for a while. How are you doing? Are you coming along ok?
 
@Jaycey can't wait for spring and warmer weather - I must be getting old! I used to LOVE cold weather.
 
@Cas I'm doing OK--it's my achy right knee that sometimes limits me, alas. But the hip is progressing nicely. Some sore muscles as I get more active but nothing that worries me. I did a low impact aerobic routine at home the other evening--just 15 or 20 minutes but that's more than I could do pre-op.
 
@Cas so sorry about your back pain. Recovery seems to bounce around from more part of the body to another.

Hope this post finds you feeling somewhat better. And keep in mind: this,too, shall pass - and soon. All the best to you Carol.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Cass Thinking of you today. Hope your back issues are getting resolved.

Wish there was a machine we could crawl into that would fix everything that's wrong with our bodies.

Star Trek had it - why can't we?? [emoji30]


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jaycey Hi no pain in hamstrings. Pain is on either side of sacroiliac joint. I wrenched my back years ago galloping on a race horse into a tree with right knee which swung me round and out of saddle and then pulled ligaments on both sides 30 years ago lifting breezeblocks and have had intermittent pain there gradually getting worse over the years. Not sure exactly what's wrong there but had ex ray 5 years ago and the specialist said my lower back was very bad then. Will see what physio says next Tuesday. Aint life fun !!!!
 
@baclectic Hi yes would love one of those machines as well. Did you see the machine that you could go in and get a new body shape, hair colour etc? Think it was in the film where Arnie had lost his memory - I would LOVE that LOL ! How are you doing? You sound great - keep it up. hugs Carol
 
Pain is on either side of sacroiliac joint.
That's interesting as my SI joints were locked post LTHR. I saw an osteopath who manipulate the joints very gently and then did acupuncture. Did this for several weeks and it really did help. I still have lower back issues but I just keep moving!
 
@Jaycey that could be it. Trouble is private osteopath and physio is so expensive. Will try with NHS one first and see what he says then may have to get baked beans and can opener out for a while and go privately LOL!
 
@Jaycey yes I keep moving but with the help of painkillers and brufen which help.:happydance:Will prob end up addicted but at nearly 70 who cares :dancy:
 
Trouble is private osteopath and physio is so expensive.
I wouldn't bother with a private PT but the osteopath was no that expensive. You can search the General Osteopathic Council website for someone near you and call around for pricing.

You won't get addicted to ibuprofen but it can cause stomach issues and it's not a good idea to take NSAIDs long term (preaching to the choir I know - but I had side effects from taking NSAIDs for years).

The good news is all this will get better. Like me - you just need time to sort all the issues that get tweaked due to THR.
 
@Cas all the real pain is gone. Just a few aches in my thigh occasionally. Galloping a race horse, eh? No wonder I feel a bond with you. About 10-15 years ago I got thrown twice off a horse named Spirit. Landed flat on my back. That might account for some of my back pain, but luckily it's been okay recently.

I still get totally fatigued between 3-5 in the afternoon. I'm so glad the worse is behind me. I never anticipated the enormity of the Recovery. I thought after a week or two I'd be as good as new. I'm so grateful that's behind me now.

Hope your back starts behaving itself. One of my goals is to start riding horses again. Probably a gaited horse. We'll see.

Anyway take care - wishing you joy and no pain. Barbara


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Cas haven't heard from you in awhile. How are you doing my friend?
 
@Jaycey Hi have been having computer problems! Have only just got back on today after a nice young man sorted it out - they get younger!!! Saw the physio and all he did was give me a load of exercises to do as he said my right leg was very weak especially round the hip - duh - yes I know. Also said right leg longer than the other and that I could get a heel lift in that shoe as the difference was contributing to back pain. You know I really don't have much faith in physios. They never DO anything just hand out sheets of paper. He also said that just walking would not make my right leg any stronger. What do you think? I am still having bad bouts of pain in back just above the pelvis and into lower back. Also in top of "haunch" LOL don't know what to call it. Anyway had a nice day out on Saturday with daughter and dog in Whitby. Walked 2 miles with no problem - even in back - WOW. Am doing ok I think apart from the back pain and a few twinges in hip muscles. How are you? It's been so cold and wet - not good for joints. hugs Carol
 
@baclectic Hi how are things going? Been offline for a while. What is a gaited horse? Not one of those that lift their front legs high? It's cold and wet here so joints are complaining with all the damp. Never mind it will soon be spring:flwrysmile:and we can get in the garden again without shivering:yes!: Carol
 
@Cas 2 miles! Go you! I've managed a mile but no further (although it's more my arthritic knee that is holding me back from more distance).
 
@gertie hi there yes 2 miles with coffee stops in between though and I wasn't marching! LOL. I find I can't walk quickly at the moment but I do get there in the end - people just have to wait for me to catch up every so often. Still getting pain in the back at times so just have a rest day. Also still getting swollen feet but nothing like they were before. How are you doing? Sat down on a proper toilet for the first time this weekend - what progress:giggle:.
 
Hi Cas, glad you are OK. Was just wondering what was up!
Also said right leg longer than the other and that I could get a heel lift in that shoe as the difference was contributing to back pain.
Did this physio actually do a proper measurement? I think not. The first thing I would do is replace your shoes. Are you still wearing shoes that you wore pre-op? They will have a wearing pattern that is all wrong for your new gait. Many new hippies report back problems and when they replace their shoes this gets a whole lot better.
They never DO anything just hand out sheets of paper.
Totally agree. And the hand out the same paper to everyone no matter if it's knees or hips!
He also said that just walking would not make my right leg any stronger.
Of course it will get stronger with walking. You have been trying to stay off that hip. Fully weight bearing with a correct stride will make that side get stronger.

Get some new shoes and see if this back stuff settles. I remember having major issues with my back post LTHR. Replaced the shoes and all settled. If you are doing 2 miles you are doing great!

Yes, wet and wild Yorkshire coast. Not exactly nice right now. My donkeys are not happy with this rubbish weather!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom