BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

[THR] New Hip -Now bionic!!<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Cas, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This is the only restriction I had post RTHR. I was working on bending forward to be able to reach down and tie my shoes after my first consultation post op. It's really your call - but I think if you listen to that hip it won't steer you wrong.

Well done on the driving!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cas

Cas Senior

a bit late but Merry Christmas everyone.:santaclap::santa hug::reindeerlights:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Cas

Cas Senior

have had a busy few days. We went to the lake district on Friday and stayed over. Took a boat trip on lake Widermere in gales and rain with the dog. Then had some lunch. Shay is getting very good now in hotels and restaurants / cafes. A very well behaved boy who met lots of new doggie friends. Cat just jumped on me! Christmas dinner out with my lads and now sitting at home with my feet up. Am tired but hip has been great. Still get the energy drain and muscle pain but it's getting better every day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor

I'm also off the strong painkillers and am experimenting by starting the day on a couple of paracetamol and an Ibroprofen in the morning then seeing how I fare. It's early days with this and it remains to be seen how this works out when combined with increased walking. I've driven just once (last Thursday) but in my Hubby's car which is automatic and, as my most recently operated hip is the left one, this meant no clutch movement, so not exactly a test. But I do agree it's good to get our wings back again. Hubby has checked over my car today as it has sat idle for over 6 weeks so I'll need to have a trial in that before I embark on anything solo and more ambitious. I feel pretty confident walking out now. We were both struck down with flu over Christmas so while others were queuing waiting for the Pub to open we walked to the pharmacy to pick up medical supplies. I limp after being sat for a while. One of my Christmas presents is a rather clever sport watch which is currently charging up but will prompt me if I sit for too long. That is one of my failings as I tend to get engrossed in work or other things and not get up and move regularly enough. So glad you sound to be over your tricky swollen legs and things are improving.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Cas

Cas Senior

@Miss Muffet Great news you're off the strong pain meds. Yes it's hit and miss with adjusting the meds I take more if needed - can't see the point of being in pain LOL ! I too am stiff and limp a few steps when I have been sitting but it does wear off after a bit of walking. Am still experiencing swollen feet and sometimes legs but have been told that can go on for months yet and its nothing to worry about. Problem now is that in bed I start off elevated then wake up on my side with feet off pillows !!!! My body must be feeling a bit better as it wants to sleep on its usual side. It just means feet are a bit swollen in the morning - can't win at the mo LOL! I never realised recovery would take so long so get down days when I want to do things that I can't then have to give myself a kick up the proverbial and remind myself how far I've come. I think you're amazing having 2 done in one year. Take care and will keep in touch. I visit the bird sanctuary often as it's good training for my dog.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Miss Muffet

I wonder if the swelling will reduce as you become a little more mobile? It's good to hear you're elevating a lot to help this. I do understand how you feel about the length of the recovery - it is frustrating, but then as you say we have made great strides if you reflect on how bad we were preOp. My hubby reminds me of this and it is true to say that I was forced to gradually decrease all my activities as the pain simply got in the way. The prospect of all of this opening up again is exciting - but I have to rein him back a little as I think he's minded to sign me up to climb Everest in 2017.

I am plannng on getting an electric bike. I have absolutely no puff which always put me off biking as I hated any inclines and was always bothered if I went out I wouldn't have the stamina to get home again. The idea that I'll have a bit of assistance to get over both of these problems is very attractive. We are looking at booking a break with our caravan to The Netherlands in Spring, which I think will be perfect - no hills! I am very keen to regain my fitness. The idea that not just my hips suffered but practically everything else as well because of the run-on effect of inactivity bothered me enormously. 2017 will be our year!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Cas

Cas Senior

@Miss Muffet I too am terribly unfit. I get out of puff walking fast and climbing stairs. Was so active before now everything physical is an effort. I need to build up my stamina as well - new years resolution. The swelling of feet comes on during the day when I'm walking about. It all seems to drain downwards as the day goes on.

@Miss Muffet @Jaycey I seem to have hit a platau at the mo - not going backwards or going forwards. Is this normal?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Sure it's normal to have a plateau or two in recovery! Your body heals at its own pace and it's just taking a bit of a breather. It's even common to see some steps backwards as you begin to do a few more "normal" things. Don't let this worry you at all.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Cas

Cas Senior

@Jamie thanks for that. It's frustrating when you stall after all the progress you've made and wonder why you get stuck! Am up at the mo because we have awful colds and when I lay down I cough so much I can't sleep so am burning the midnight oil here.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

You may feel like you are in a plateau - but there is still tons of healing going on. And if you have been fighting a cold - that too takes energy away from recovery. You are doing great @Cas . At this stage patience is the hardest part.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Miss Muffet

@Cas - snap! Our Christmas 'flu has made me feel like I too have stalled.
    But as Jaycey says the body is juggling two lots of healing at the moment so I guess we have to accept that we're not going to be our sparkling best. :tree2;

I'm looking towards the New Year as the start of something more positive and hopefully it will be the same for you. Let's just make the most of this break and let nature do its best in the meantime. :santaclap:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. baclectic

baclectic Member

Hi Cas - hope you're feeling a bit better. You've been a help and an inspiration to so many here. Just hearing that your feet and ankles are swollen also reassures me that I'm not all that unique. Last night I googled all the Meds I'm taking and each one has swollen extremities as a side affect. You are reminding me I must be patient. It's a process, with ups and downs. However we are moving forward.

A few weeks ago I couldn't get my operated leg in or out of bed without pain. Now it's gone. (The pain, not the leg). A few weeks ago it was agonizing lifting my leg in and out of the car. Now it's usually a piece of cake. I've also learned to put the car seat all the way back and recline the back so I'm almost in a prone position getting out of the car. Much easier to lift my leg that way. I also figured out how to put lotion on the sole of my foot which was really hurting. I squirt some lotion on a paper towel - put the towel on the floor (held in place with a grabber) then step on the paper towel and move my foot forward and back. Voila - another challenge overcome. I'm so grateful I'm not alone and have a place to vent. I hope one day soon you'll be riding horses again and taking long walks through the woods with your dogs. Have a lovely day - rest up

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  13. Cas

Cas Senior

thank you all for your support. Feel rotten today - thumping head, throat feels like I have razor blades in it, ache all over with coughing, total lack of energy. Well that's my moan for the day!
    @baclectic see you have achieved so much, never get downhearted just come on here and someone will keep you going. We are all different and heal differently but we all seem to go through the same problems it's reassuring to have help from those that have been through all this.

@Miss Muffet well we are a pair!! Hope next Christmas is soooooooo much better than this one. Thinking of you.

@Jaycey thanks once again friend - you always make me feel better!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Miss Muffet

It's a horrid virus. I think I'm a few days ahead of you.
    Your symptoms are the same as mine were - Flu, the real thing. :dead: I resorted to using my ice gel packs on my head as my sinuses felt like they were filled with concrete. Lived on Day and Night Nurse for a few days. It will pass (rather like a recovering THR) but it's just typical bad luck it hit us at Christmas time. Hope you pick up soon.

15. Cas

Cas Senior

:bawl:@Miss Muffet Hope you do too. Everything aches so don't know if its hip muscles or flu aches LOL! I'm feeling sorry for myself. Hopefully will feel better tomorrow. My daughter is about 3 days ahead of me and she says she's feeling a bit better today. Bright light on the horizon.:idea:

16. Miss Muffet

Yes, I was the same @Cas - couldn't decide whether it was hip/muscles aching. Mostly it was general flu aches and pains and now I'm back on my reduced hip meds they've dissolved (thankfully). Drink lots of water - it helps with the feverishness and flushes out the toxins. :console2:

17. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

Oh Ladies (@Cas and @Miss Muffet ) Im so sorry you are both sick during your recovery. My grandson brought it over to our house on Christmas and my son and husband both have it. I am taking extra vitamins and staying away. :sick:
    I hope you are both feeling better and can get over it and back to letting your bodies heal from surgery. :console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Cas

Cas Senior

have consumed a lot of wine ( a bottle ) and hoping will sleep tonight. Feeling awful but hope to be back to "normal" tomorrow. Night folks.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Cas

Cas Senior

hello everyone. Well just had the doctor and now have a course of antibiotics. I have emphysema and although it's only mild at the moment any cold or flu bug goes straight to the chest and sits there. Felt really rough today but am sure I will get better as soon as the meds kick in. I am now 8 weeks post op - yippee and know I would be feeling great if I wasn't so washed out. Feel like a wet rag that's been rung out LOL! :swoon:Can't wait for new years day.

20. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

So sorry you are struggling with that nasty bug @Cas . Get some rest and take things slow. This too shall pass!