Guest viewing is limited

THR My recovery thread.

I'm going to ask my church for help with rides.I have been asking a few friends for them and they have been great,but the problem is they have busy lives and I need so many rides.three times a week pt.and other things.How I wish I were allowed to drive!I hate being a burden to people.
 
It will get better, allena, switching positions in bed does take some getting used to.
I was still sleeping in a recliner at the point you are at in recovery. It was by choice but I was also restricting myself from the ability to move much. I was afraid I'd roll over on my incision.

You have to use a lot of upper body strength in bed in those early weeks. Lots of pillows around you may help. I built a fort of sorts around myself. I found it comforting.

Glad to hear you slept better last night. I think it will gradually improve. You're still in the very early weeks of recovery and your mind is in "restriction" mode.
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@allena
 
Please don't feel like a burden. You have no choice, you can't drive. There are many generous people in the world who enjoy helping / serving others. I'm sure those that offered were sincere and are willing to assist.
 
Rolling over has not been a problem.I'm too sore to want to do so.I have been using a plastic bag to help me get into bed.I sit on it and scoot back halfway on the bed.I hope you have good weekend too.
 
I know it's not my fault and that I need it,but I am so independent(normally) that I want to do it myself.sigh.I am not used to long recoveries.It feels wrong and weird to me.I logically know why it has to be like this,but I hate that it takes so long.It feels like my life is on hold.
They are very willing to help,but one of them made it clear he would prefer if I asked for less rides.He was nice about it.I fully agree with him.
 
Okay, then I wouldn't ask that particular person for another ride. I find his comment rather rude. You can't drive and it's not by choice. All he needs to say is "I'm sorry, I'm not available to help currently".

What about grocery delivery for a time. You order online, they deliver. Many do it for free for patronizing their business, or a very small fee.

What about looking into one of those shared ride public transportation services for certified riders who are unable to use regular fixed-route buses due to disability or a health condition? Would that be a possibility for your remaining PT appointments? I'd think the office of your OS, or PT, would be aware of any such services in your area. Possibly something to consider to help you feel less of a burden to others.

Otherwise...if your church is small, would you be able to place a schedule of appointments you need rides to and hang it on a bulletin board, then those willing to help could sign up for a particular date? That would save you the discomfort in asking and whoever you're asking the discomfort in politely declining. Just thoughts....
 
@Layla You my dear, are a genius. Those are great ideas!

I actually got a little angry over here when I read about that gentleman requesting that you ask for less rides.
 
@layla.those are good ideas yes,it's a small church
.120 people or so.
I'll check those things out.
 
@allena

I am so sorry that you are having this extra stress re the rides. I don't actually agree with him suggesting that you ask for less rides. He clearly has not thought this thru, you cannot drive because of major surgery and it is for a limited time only. You are not a burden and i have no doubt that you help people all the time when able to. Layla's come up with some great alternatives which hopefully will sort things out.

Could the PT pay a home visit? Skype even?

Take care xx
 
Thanks Ginny.i will ask if they will come to me,but i am betting they wont.maybe I will get lucky?
Yes.i do try to help others when I can.
I will be going to physical therapy this afternoon .
 
There is the bus.the problem is I can't walk very far right now .My wheelchair is not much of a option either.the plug to charge it is very close to floor level.i can't bend down far enough to plug it in.or to unplug it.sigh.i am able to use it,but thanks to the no bending rule I am screwed.even the golfers pose doesn't help.its a very deep bend.of coarse i can't squat either.
 
What about an extension cord, allena, that you could plug into the outlet, then put the receiving end high enough so you don't have to bend to use it.

Also, I'm not refering to public transportation like the bus you jump on down the street.
I'm talking about pre-arranged / scheduled transportation for people with a disability (temporary or permanent) or health condition. I really think a phone call to your OS inquiring about such a service may be beneficial.
Look up Transportation for the Disabled (in your area) and see what you come up with.
 
That wouldn't work unfortunately. The plug in to charge is very low.you have to bend or squat to charge it.i have a sensor strip on the table beside it so I can avoid bending to plug it the wall socket.how would I bend down to put the extension chord in the wheelchair?not that it would fit in the plug in anyway
I know what you meant .there is the kat bus,but u have to call two weeks in advance and it's 6 bucks a round trip.
I'll see if there is anything else available.
 
I think I confused you.i didn't mean the wall socket .I meant to the plug in area at the base,of my wheelchair .sorry about that.
 
I figured out how to get around the low socket on the wall along time ago.a extension chord is a good idea though too.
 
Hi @allena, Just popping by to say hello, and see how you are doing. Just reading up on your thread. The not being able to bend over is really difficult. I can't use the golfers reach as I can't go beyond 90 degrees on either hip.

Perhaps folks who do come and pick you up for PT etc. can plug in the wheel chair when they come to pick you up, and unplug it when they bring you home, or are you using it when you go to PT? How long does it take to charge? Maybe you could ask them to plug it in when you get home from PT, and then someone else could unplug it for you...of course not on the timing you would want exactly, but it would get the chair charged, and you could use it more than you are now? Just random thoughts :).

The man who suggested you call him less was very insensitive. He could just say he was unavailable on the days he couldn't help. It makes me feel somewhat cross with this guy!! I'm being polite!!!

Given you have other physical issues you have to contend with, in addition to your hip surgery, I don't know why the PT can't come to you for a while. I'd give that a try, particularly given you aren't dealing with just one things medically and also need wheel chair assistance.
Thinking of you and keeping you in my most positive thoughts and prayers :SUNsmile:.
 
I haven't used the wheelchair for much of anything.i have been using the walker in physical therapy.
It takes 8 hours to fully charge.
That's a good idea.
I will call the surgeons office on monday.his office is closed today. The physical therapist suggested that too.
Thanks for the good thoughts and advice.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom