THR My recovery thread.

allena

graduate
Country
United States United States
Hello this is my first post on the recovery tbread.i am feeling better today.i am not quite so wobbly as yesterday.My iv was removed today. So happy.I'll be starting my physical therapy today.i am hoping that i will be released from the hospital tomorrow. I miss my cats and my own bed.i will enjoy being able to sleep without all the interruptions!I don't like being woke up when I am sleeping well.grrr

I am so happy to hear that you are noticing improvement! I missed my kitties too and I was only in the hospital for 1 night, I understand. You will really enjoy sleeping at home again soon. Hope your day is a great one!

Last edited:
So pleased you are in recovery. I missed my cats dreadfully but I was incarcerated, sorry, in hospital for 15 days ... but I did have sea and palm tree views!

Other than the short (almost non-existent) stays in hospital there and in the UK, I find the waking patients for medication in the wee hours disturbing. I have had three major surgeries here and my husband one (at three different hospitals) and at all of them medication stops at 11pm and commences at 6am without trauma.

I wish you well in your recovery.
:kittykiss:

Good Morning :hi:
Hospitals are not the best places for sleep with the unwelcomed interruptions.
Hopefully you can get some naps in today between PT and more nurse's visits.
You'll sleep more soundly once you're home. I hope they're providing you with ice :ice:
Best wishes for a good day!
@allena

You may be surprised, or not?
I'm not a napper either, never have been and THR didn't change that for me.
However, I slept really well at night. I'd sleep soundly for 3-4 hrs, then wake to use the bathroom, then back asleep for another 3-4 hrs. I felt well rested but did tire easily with too much activity for a time.
Keep that ice coming, it truly helps the pain and swelling. I hope you have extras at home so you always have one available.
@allena

@allena,

Welcome to the other side!

It's amazing isn't it that all our pre op worries seem surreal now? I am 3 weeks today and i would never have believed how much my life has improved already. You got thru this and i think that you should be very proud of yourself.
x

A gift from a friend.

Attachments

• 20181112_145451.jpg
    20181112_145451.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 399
African Violet....So pretty, allena.
You are loved!

I'll bet many of us shed a tear or became misty eyed during prep. I know I did. It was a scary time. Agnes did not win out. She taunted you but gets a big fat F....for FAILURE! You pushed through it all and lived to post about it, as we told you, you would.
Onward and Upward....you've got this!
@allena

Me too. I'm sorry you were in the hospital so long .that sucks.

Yes.i don't doubt they do.they were clingy this weekend.i think they knew I was going away for awhile.poor kitties.

Allena, looks like you didn't get your reading material yet. Here's some great information to help you get through recovery.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi @allena, welcome to the healing side!! Well done on the stairs! Sounds like you are making good progress and will be home soon with your kitties! We worry about our furry children when we are gone! They'll be so pleased to have you back with them. Hope you can get some sleep and are heading home soon.
:flwrysmile:

The physical therapist was impressed. I will get some,but alas it will be broken sleep .sigh.i will just have to tough it out one more night.I should be released tomorrow afternoon. I'll start out patient physical therapy on Thursday. I want to get as close to normal as is possible as quick as possible

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts