THR MEPil on the recovery side

@Eman85 sounds like comfort can be hard to find easily in recovery. I'm finding this recliner is really helping me a lot. I use the wing back with a pillow after I get out of bed for awhile to start out my day. It can be amazing what works the best for a person, a plastic lawn chair and pillow sounds great too.
 
@MEPil you're doing really well, good idea making a meds schedule and possibly setting an alarm on your phone to remind you. I had the same thing later on about forgetting if I took my Tylenol or not.

We all seem to do whatever we need to make ourselves comfortable during recovery. I had made myself a little nest with our love seat and big ottoman, was oh so comfy! Realized as soon as I got home that it was not going to work, couldn't get in or out! :snork: Ended up using the couch with pillows so I could stretch out. Kind of felt like Goldilocks the first couple of days. You'll get settled in before you know it.
 
The numbness should slowly dissipate, dear @MEPil :yes: I had a few small areas that stayed numb for some months.. I almost racked it up to collateral damage but now - all normal.
Slowly....and don't be surprised when it begins to...there may be some zips and zaps . Brief but a bit disconcerting.
Just try to hang in there...like there's any choices, right?:unsure:
Bet your holidays will be happy and bright!!!!!
 
@Mojo333 today has been my best day since the surgery but have gotten my med schedule finally straightened out so I'm sure that's helped. I have have had a burning sedation on the side of my upper leg just below the bandage, that kind of concerned me, is that a normal feeling at this point? I will probably almost panic over every zing or stab of unexpected pain I'll have.
 
@VSlowLife yes, the babies are a blessing to us and really keep us on our toes, so to speak. When I came home from the hospital, they could hardly contain their excitement you would have thought I'd been away for days. I have to really watch our one dog because she likes to jump on my lap without warning, that wouldn't be good at all for now, but she does seem to know I'm not able to let her up on me.
 
@Elf1 your love seat nest does sound so comfy, would have been great had it worked. The recliner is my best spot I've found and our wing back chair with the pillow. My husband is helping me getting in and out of bed, I'm sloppy at that and I don't want to hurt myself. I have a small alarm clock I started using today to let me know it's time for a med. I can't seem to figure out my phone alarm but the clock is working ok.
 
Hi @MEPil :wave:
I'm happy the meds schedule is helping! It's hard remembering everything and here we are working with a doped up brain, too!!
So you had a better day, yay! I had a good bit of burning and pulling feelings around my incision and I healed up ok. So I think it's normal. Whatever that is! :heehee: but seriously you will probably have zips, zaps, zingers and stingers..
So happy to have you on the recovery time and the painful waiting over with.

Have a good weekend!
 
Happy Saturday, @MEPil
Glad you are staying on a schedule with the meds...it will keep you more comfortable, hence more easy when mobile and more able to rest.
have have had a burning sedation on the side of my upper leg just below the bandage, that kind of concerned me, is that a normal feeling at this point?
If you read my recovery thread, this was a big concern for me?
I think I inquired and didnt get a "real time" answer and I WAS panicking.
Ask anytime you have a concern...Is This Normal??? was the theme of my thread for the first weeks.
Healing hugs for a good day.
 
Last edited:
@MEPil I am glad the alarm clock is working for you and you are managing your rest stops with the help of your husband. So far it seems your concerns have been the typical parts of the healing process, per Mojo333, thank goodness.
I understand the lap jumping. I find a sharper than usual “Nooo!” helps.
Hoping your today is better than your yesterday as you heal.
 
Thank you all so much, at this point I have no idea what is normal recovery and appreciate each one of you walking through this with me. I can be a "nervous Nelly".
Oh my, so true about the doped up brain thinking right now guess that's part of the reason I'm feeling so sleepy and tired all the time? Takes me half the morning and coffee to get me awake and I am sleeping like a rock. When I woke up this morning, I don't think I had moved an inch all night. :sleep::beer:
Thank you @VSlowLife @Mojo333 @CricketHip
 
If you're sleeping like that in bed you're ahead of 80-90% of us. Usually it's very intermittent sleep in the first weeks. You're in pre-recovery right now, the rest comes later. I remember well how it took 2 weeks just to get color back in my complexion. Rest and nutrition are basically all you should be concerned with now.
 
@Eman85 the only short nights were Wednesday and Thursday and I woke up early. Maybe the Immune drink I was given from the hospital class to drink 2x Daly the 5 days before surgery is part of the reason. I could sleep right now but going to force myself to get a shower. Tonight is when we turn our clocks back an hour so I will gain another hour of sleep. I've been thinking about ordering a good vitamin package, I have taken before, to help build me up.
 
Here you go @MEPil
mojo’s recovery thread. :yes:



I had hoped to show you how I located it but am on my phone and am limited . I already knew her thread’s title so it was easy to find it that way.
 
Hi @MEPil
Those zings and zaps are a source of concern and worry early on. There are so many odd sensations to get used to. Zings, zaps, warmth, little shocks, crawly feelings etc. By the time you figure out what one is, it's gone and you're onto the next. It never hurts to seek reassurance here so please continue to do so when you're worried by something.

Wonderful news that yesterday was your best day so far. I hope today is a good match. :SUNsmile:

I took a surgical support formula after my surgery for thirty days.
It was mainly Vitamin C, Maganese, B vitamins, Zinc and Vitamin E amongst others. I also drank a mug of bone broth daily for a time. Protein is important as it helps repair muscle damage by regenerating tissue and speeds up wound healing. Naturally you should do your own research, I'm speaking of my experience.

Following are some Protein ideas if the thought of full meals is currently not appealing -
Nuts
Trail Mix
Turkey roll ups (cheese or veggies rolled inside the turkey)
Greek Yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Hard Boiled Eggs
Tuna
Veggies & Hummus
Peanut Butter and Apple
Peanut Butter on Celery
Cheese Slices
Beef Sticks
Protein Bars
Protein Shakes
Canned Salmon on Crackers
Edamame
Chicken Salad
No Bake Energy Bites (many online recipes)

It looks like CricketHip left you a link to Mojo's thread. She also has a link in her signature, right above her Staff Disclaimer in red.

One last thing, not sure if you've read the following here before, but if the difficulty in getting in and out of bed, is lifting your leg, or positioning yourself, two helpful hints are a bathrobe belt to lift your leg and a plastic garbage bag to sit on making it easy to swivel into position in these early days.

You're doing great. Keep it up and have a peaceful Saturday!
 
Sounds like you are doing great. You are having a lot of the same questions and concerns as I myself am having but this forum is great. I’m on day 5 of BTHR and let’s just say it’s not the easiest thing I’ve ever done but this forum certainly helps
Congratulations on your recovery
 
@MEPil I slept in the recliner for a couple weeks, you are doing fine. We all get weird sensations we would just pass off as a twinge otherwise. No fever, no discharge, no troublesome swelling?
We had cat that was diabetic then went into remission when we altered her diet. She trended back to that as she was 18 and was getting a lot of UTI. She was arthritic, like we are..she had a cervical issue when younger and we almost lost her then, but a combination of things including steroids saved her...but the steroids also contributed to her becoming diabetic..she was a wonderful cat...
 
@Boxerdad67 congratulations on your recovery as well, the very best wishes for you. The people on this forum are great and are so helpful. Our surgeries are very close so we are definitely sharing the same road. We will most likely experience many of the same questions and concerns.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom