THR MEPil on the recovery side

@Steelmanpa it is. The discomfort for me now is more like soreness. My OS Dr office called earlier this morning to check on how I'm doing and I told the nurse what I'm feeling now and she said everything I'm experiencing is normal, I love that word normal right now. Hope you are doing well today. Nice to share this road with you. Take care.
 
@Mojo333 :wink: poor OS guys bet a lot of us feel that about them to start with. My first post op is next Monday the 11th. I go tomorrow to PT, so it's getting ready to be busy.
My OS nurse called this morning and she assured me everything I'm going through is normal, helped me feel easier. I am noticing the numbness is lessening and leaving me so very sore, I told the nurse it feels like someone took a ball bat to me, not to far off either considering what has to be done. Hope you are doing well today.
 
@Leej I sure hope not, if I tell them it hurts, I think they will stop having me do it.
 
Happy One Week Anniversary!
Good to hear you were reassured by hearing all you're experiencing is "normal". Welcome words in these early days. May it long continue.
Have a lovely Tuesday! :wave:
@MEPil
 
@Layla thank you. This morning was my first therapy season. The therapist removed the bandage for me, not pretty but it is what is is, feels better too. She told me to continue with the exercises the Hospital Therapist sent home with me, she is happy with where I'm at right now and she'll add more as we go. I go again Thursday, then 2 days/week for 4 weeks then she will reassess me.
Last night I had some swelling and it was painful this morning after I got up for awhile. She told me to lay on the couch more and use ice. I have been using the recliner mostly. Over all it was a good session and I didn't feel pressured, hope it stays that way.
Hope you are doing well today.
 
@MEPil Glad to hear all went well with the PT and PT is happy with where you are this week. You are on your way, recovering well, bandage off. I am glad to hear you did not feel pressured. Sorry you had a bit more swelling overnight.
Happy one week into recovery!
 
You have a good attitude, that's so very important, don't you agree @MEPil ?
I will say, though, it's not unusual to have some swelling that ebbs and flows for quite some time.
Whenever it happened for me, I would think about what I could back off of, just a bit , for the following day.
Take care and I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight!
 
@CricketHip I have a question, my upper leg and thigh are are staying so very sore. I'm doing my exercises, is this a normal thing and could the exercises keep it sore?
 
Hi..just wanted to add my 2 cents but my quads were very sore for the first month and pretty sore for the next two and kind of sore for the next two...:umm:
They stretch things out of the way and they are hurt and sore. And Exercises certainly strain healing soft tissue.
What kind of exercises are you doing and how often?
Really, really...review the Big Tip.
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
Still early days. You can tone and strengthen later.
 
Really, really...review the Big Tip.
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
Still early days. You can tone and strengthen later.
I strongly agree here with @Mojo333 and all other Administrators and Forum Advisors that constantly try to pass the same message to all of us going for THR or already are here on the recovery side.
Despite the successful stories where people "jog' few weeks after the surgery - we are NOT all Superwoman nor Superman. This type of recovery is not the race with other people that you see posting their threads so please @MEPil exercise caution and listen to your body. If your upper leg and tight are sore to the point it's uncomfortable... just skip and PT exercises you are doing for a day or two and see what happens. If your soreness diminishes, you have the answer.
Take it easy - your recovery is in your hands; to in the hands of your PT.
Just my 2 cents. :)
 
@RinTinTin thank you, I really need to be reminded of that. I'm definitely not competing with anyone, just want to get stronger and pain free and walk normal. I will slow down on the exercises. I have been walking around the house some this morning and it actually feels good. I don't have a real good place to walk in the house but it's better than nothing. I see my OS assistant on Monday and plan to have a heart to heart talk with him.
How are you feeling by now?
 
@RinTinTin thank you, I really need to be reminded of that. I'm definitely not competing with anyone, just want to get stronger and pain free and walk normal. I will slow down on the exercises. I have been walking around the house some this morning and it actually feels good.

See.. walking is enough for those poor recovering muscles... it already feels good. We will ave plenty of time to get fit again once everything heal properly.
Me... as mentioned in my thread, I am babying my lefty and waiting for Dec 3 surgery.
It's tough... but I have no choice, unless I push it harder and risk additional issues.
Keep it easy!
:)
 
@RinTinTin I sure wish you the very best, it won't be too long before you join all of us on this recovery road. I did call my OS office and talked to one of the nurses, she didn't seem overly concerned but said she would talk with the Dr and they would get back to me if they need too. I do see my OS Assistant on Monday so I can really get their input then. I go to therapy tomorrow and I told the nurse I will also talk with them. The therapist didn't add anything to me my first visit so I really don't think they will try to push me. I won't let them.
 
Hi @MEPil
I absolutely would err on the side of caution in regards to the exercises so early in your recovery.
I would sometimes do 3 reps and stop.
Some of the early exercises were pushed back until week 2 or 3 and so on.
What Mojo and RinTinTin explained are my beliefs, too.
Those sore thigh muscles need time to recover..

You’ll get there, just maybe not this week or next! :flwrysmile:
I loved walking when I could, felt great and got the circulation going. Like this :walking:NOT this:tiredwheel::doggie:
 
Strongly agree!

Mine were sore for two weeks, then I thought it was done, then I overdid it, then they were really sore, then I chilled a bit, then they were way better, then I walked too much, etc, etc.

Give yourself some time ... walk and stretch and smile about the lack of pain ... then walk some more.

In between anything I did, I would elevate and ice for at least 45 minutes.
 
All the input is very appreciated. I really need to settle myself down and take it slower. I have elevated more today and still need to ice again as well. Today is 8 days that's really not very long. I've been concerned something is wrong and been overlooked. Thanks for the advice.
 
It's hard to know what to do these early days @MEPil
Don't be hard on yourself...we get contradictory instructions often, and we Do So want to be good patients.
It's a common theme around here.
PT in itself...exercises...are not bad but it has only been one week and I do wish they would insist on a reprieve from all but the necessary todos for the first weeks.
Alot of trauma to our bodies and it really only makes sense that we should give things time to settle.
I had PT, minimum at hospital, mostly occupational, but my first PT session at 7 days was too much too soon.
It's hard to reconcile conflicting suggestions... especially between online forum and "medical professionals"
Just listen to your body and do not worry.
All temporary and you just had a new metal hip put in. Nothing's wrong...just a major surgery recovery that takes some getting used to.
We understand and are rooting for you.
Ice it up and try to sleep well tonight!:friends:
 
Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom