THR MEPil on the recovery side

Sounds like a good start so far, @MEPil! All normal sounding stuff happening and many (myself included) can relate to the need to get dressed in the morning to feel better. Can't say that I actually did that for the first few days, but after that putting on something other than flannel pajama bottoms and ragged tee-shirts felt like an improvement--that and a bit of make-up and even a spritz of cologne. Welcome to "the other side"! Agree with @RinTinTin about those exercises--do 'em if you want and they don't make things worse, but just being able to rest and maybe get up for a bathroom run is fine this early in the game. I don't think I did any of the exercises really with either hip (I'm now "two-fer") and no ill effects. Hang in there--it's tough the first week or two but then things do look up.
 
Good Afternoon, @MEPil

You earned your right to wear bed clothes for a few days if you want. :wink:
You need to be comfy cozy and who could blame you for wanting to laze around a bit in these early days. I was instructed to bring clothes to my surgery site. I was to leave the initial recovery room, right out of surgery, in my own clothes, to the room I'd be spending the night in. I brought the softest yoga pants I could find in a size bigger than my normal size and a t-shirt.

Once home, it was all about comfort for me but after about 4-5 days of looking at my pale face in the mirror, the blow comb and minimal make-up became the norm. It made me feel better and not like such a bum. :heehee:
We each need to do whatever works for us. We're all headed for the same destination...via different paths. You're on your way! :yay:
Have a great rest of the day. :)
 
@MEPil I have seen someone post a chart on Bonesmart to help with managing when to take meds. Also I have seen folks recommending using a cell phone or a timer as a reminder to take meds, especially at night to help keep the pain at bay. Maybe a timer on the kitchen stove?
Maybe someone can help you create a chart?
Yes, pain meds can take a bit to kick in and then the last 30 minutes or so you may feel them wearing off, in my own experience. I think one of the advisors had posted a chart showing how some pain medications overlap one another because they get taken at different intervals, so that your pain coverage may be more manageable.
Hang in there. Each day will get better, and before you know it, you will be taking less of this or that as the pain fades and you get stronger.
 
@MEPil Wow, I am impressed...Getting cleaned up and dressed, you are doing a lot better than I was the first few days. I guess you are doing ankle pumps and some other low stress exercises.. be cautious. I needed the leg lifter for a while and then as everyone else says things change gradually over days and weeks, you get more range of motion, regain strength etc. Be comfortable and using thoughtful measured movements are key...garments that dont bind or catch while in your recliner or wherever you spend most of your time are important...you are doing fine!
 
Heavy "log legs"...Super normal. All that trauma kind of shell shocks those legs it seems. Mine actually felt like there was a disconnect from my brain to my legs...I'd stare at them like I thought I could make them levitate..."Come on...we are getting over the threshold, now":giggle:
Bonesmarties had to talk me through my "Is this Normal?" concerns. Probably saved my OSs office lots of phonecalls.

Hang in there
 
Seems like it's painful today and stiff. I'm finding our couch is too low to get up from. I can sit pretty well on a pillow in our wing chair but to really relax and nap, the bed upstairs is better and the Therapist told me not to overdo the stairs. I think I'll try the recliner next, hope I can get out of it ok, not many choices. Yes, my leg just doesn't want to cooperate with my mind at all, a log leg for sure.
I only took a sponge bath to clean up, no shower yet. Can't believe they were so mean to you Layla to make you get dressed like they did. That's horrible.
I am needing to do a med chart, good idea, just so unorganized right now.
Hope you all enjoy your evening and thank you all for your help and kindness.
 
@MEPil Don’t feel bad about being disorganized. You just had major surgery, you are figuring out what works for you, what is comfortable, a little more each day, and pain pills do not make you a clear thinker. Give yourself a big hug. I think sometimes we are so accustomed to being the caretaker, we forget to ask for help.
 
Getting dressed made me feel good. I dressed with help the morning after surgery and was ready for my walk and then to be released. I was able to take a shower the first day home and enjoyed showering and dressing every day, part of my routine.
A comfortable chair with arms to raise yourself out of is important. Vey easy to sit too low and not be able to get out and have problems.
 
@MEPil You will get there. Log leg is a very interesting feeling, isn't it? Then one day you realize it's gone.
I kept a little notebook for my meds. Phone timer was handy, too. The most frustrating was after about 3 weeks when I still needed Tylenol and would forget whether I took it or not.
Luckily by then it wasn't as painful so I could just wait it out. So annoying, though.

Take care,,you sound like you are handling things well. Good for you! Each day is a new day. I hope tomorrow is a good one.:flwrysmile:
 
Can't believe they were so mean to you Layla to make you get dressed like they did. That's horrible.

Well, I didn't cooperate as much as I should have. The nurse was helping me and I said "Ugh...I don't want to put on a bra, do I have to?" She said you most certainly DON'T have to....so I didn't, lol.
Sorry about the TMI, to any guys reading, definitely girl talk.

Wondering if you're familiar with furniture risers for sofas and chairs?
You can check them out on Amazon. They are safe, sturdy and relatively inexpensive and can give you an extra 2-3 inches which may make a huge difference for as long as you feel the need.

I hope you're feeling well rested and comfortable today @MEPil
Sending a hug and wishes for a peaceful weekend!
 
@Layla I don't blame you one bit for rebelling a bit, that seems rushing things to me. I have been looking at the furniture risers that would help, may decide to order a set for our couch, thank you for mentioning them. I did manage the recliner ok last night but haven't tried raising my legs up on the pillow yet.
I still have a bit of numbing on the outside of my leg from the hip area to just above the knee, is that normal? Even with the numbness, I can feel pain. Have a great weekend.
 
Yes, the numbness is normal, so no worries please. It gradually shrinks but several months from now you may still notice little areas around your incision that feel numb. Eventually you won't think about it and one day notice its back to normal. You're doing well :) @MEPil

As far as elevation think "toes above nose" doesn't have to be any higher when you're feeling up to it.
:friends:
 
@CricketHip
I did make up a pill schedule this morning but probably need a timer to alert me cause I may forget otherwise. Not use to takeing a bunch of meds like this. I am feeling better today compared with yesterday, it was rough. I seem to stay so sleepy and tired though and fuzzy headed. Guess the pain pills could cause that? Thank you for suggesting the schedule, good idea.
 
@Eman85 you sound like you did really well very quickly. I learned yesterday our couch is no place for me to be yet, didn't think I'd ever get out of it and my husband saved the day. I'm still taking a sponge bath for now and getting dressed makes me feel better for sure.
 
@VSlowLife you are so right about normally being the caregiver and keeping the house running as smoothly as possible, not easy to sit back and not be able to do a lot. We have 3 dogs and 3 cats, one of our dogs is a Diabetic and has to be on a time schedule so we are a busy household.
 
@MEPil Wow, you have quite a lot of love in your home! I am sure your diabetic dog appreciates all you both do for him/her, but understand they all have needs. I have whittled down to just one big love bug.
 
My recovery wasn't ny faster than anyone elses. I made up my mind to go all in and the only thing I was interested in was my recovery. Chairs were a problem for me at first. My best all around chair was a cheapo white plastic patio chair that had arms. With a cushion it was comfortable for meals at the dining room table, made a point of eating at the table. I started with the recliner part of the couch, too low even with pillows and very uncomfortable. Went shopping for a recliner while I was on the walker and bought a cheapo, sent my son to pick it up and it wasn't comfortable when I got it home. Went shopping again for a recliner and found an electric I liked. I was driving by then but had to drive my pickup to get it, used a step stool to get in with a rope to pull the step stool in. Pretty funny now looking back, wasn't fun at the time.
 
@VSlowLife our furbabies are so sweet and spoiled. Our Diabetic girl is a Husky and the best girl ever to deal with with her blood glucose test 2xday and her shots. She has lost her sight but does very well getting around the house and dog park. We love our babies and they all get along great. Bet you love you baby too.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom