Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Showers are overrated. So tired. Nap time.
I know what you mean as I was absolutely exhausted after showering and couldn't even dress myself for about half an hour afterwards. 4 weeks on and I still alternate between a wash and shower!
 
Too many yesterday....lol. I ended up with a huge knot in my quad muscle. Hubby had to massage it for several minutes before it released.

On another note, I can't get the TED hose to stay up. They keep rolling down on my incision. Off with them I say. Yes I have washed them and they still are rolling.

Lastly, my leg and incision seem to be dry. I've used lotion on my legs. I'm afraid to put anything on the scar until the steri strips come off. Thoughts?

[Bonesmart.org] May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me
I am using Aloe Vera as I have plants at home but waited until the wounds had healed. It helps take that ridge out of the scar and also helps with dryness and itching.
 
P
And today after not sleeping well I hate my knees. I hate my bed. I hate looking at the scars. I hate the walker. I hate the pain. I'm going back to bed!
It is perfectly normal to have days like that! You are doing well! The scars will improve and so will the pain. I had Bi Lateral TKR on July 3 and 5th and so am still in the pain stage. My right knee was a second TKR as I had it done two years prior to this surgery..I had a redo as the first wasn't successful! I have great bend and flexion was 100 two days after the surgeries. I can only take Endone and Panadol for pain due to stomach problems. Thankfully most nights I can get some sleep. I am hopeful that this time around things will have a better outcome!
 
My regular therapist was back today so it took a bit longer to get trough everything. They were covered up with people. I was wiped out when I got done. Asked hubby to get me something to eat and then he got grouchy when I didn't want to go in a sit down restaurant. He implied I was faking that it was hurting so much. There is no way to explain the pain and tiredness. He had a back fusion and bounced right back. He has already watched the video. I'm at 35 days post op and my family thinks I should be over it.
Don't worry about what the family think... Easier said than done I know! Unless they have had a TKR they won't fully understand the enormity of the whole thing or the pain! My hubbie had back surgery and he too bounced back quickly! This is entirely different and takes time to heal and recover!
 
He's usually really good about things unless I change his plans. Lol I'm trying to stretch more to loosen up the quads after all the lifting work.
 
You know, I've been wondering how to hang on to this "helpful" version of my husband! He's done more household chores in the past month than he's probably done in the last 25 years that we've been married. Not perfectly, of course: I generally have to reload the dishwasher after he's loaded it. My own fault - his mother didn't teach him and I never made him learn how...or how to fold laundry, either! A while back someone told me "Never do something in the first year of marriage that you're not willing to do for the rest of your life." I wish they'd told me that 25 years ago. Best marriage advice EVER!
 
Thank him profusely. Make a big deal of appreciating him. Never let him see you redo anything. Accept it in its imperfection as help. I had to learn in the last few years that help can be ok done someone else's way. :) I'm a recovering perfectionist. :D Lol. The more you make him feel good about helping the more likely he is to repeat the behavior. ;) kinda like with a puppy. Hahahaha!
 
Day 45 update: I drove myself to pt today and survived a tough workout. Started on sit to stand without pushing with my arms. Oh my that's a challenge! I was able to do a few. We figured out that which ever leg we start on with stretching will gain the most movement. The leg that had been bending better each time was last today and just matched the degree we got on Tuesday. I did manage to go pick up my contacts and meds on the way home. I drove around the long way so I could use cruise control most of the way. Hubby goes back to day shift Monday so I will have to drive myself.

I am making it ok on the lower dose of Demerol. I feel like I NEED more in my brain but the pain is probably a 2-3.

Can I say I love the attention I get for having two knee scars? Shock and Awe value.....lol
 
The fireworks were nice and the company was nice. Not sure it was worth 3 hours is muscle spasms. I keep saying I need to rest and hubby keeps saying u need to move to keep your muscles stretched. Oh to find a happy balance.
 
Round and round with muscle spasms! Ugh.

I totally understand the muscle spasms. I had massive spasms which were excruciating and even ended up at the emergency room. Multiple in thighs ans calves. Did some research and it turns out the oxycocdone was the culprit. I was severely dehydrated...once I dropped the narcotics things improved. Tonic water helps also but since I'm diabetic, I had to stop. I found a natural treatment on Amazon that my PCP approved Worked within 15 min Only had to use couple of times. Gone now. My spasms were worse than the knee pain.
 
They are definitely worse than the knee pain. I'm trying my best to stay hydrated. Potassium is good. I overdid yesterday spending time with my mother in law who was widowed In January. It took 3 hours last night alternating ice and heat before it settled. I'm not on any codeine - just Demerol. Seems to happen after I sit with my legs bent for awhile.
 
Everytime I got them bad, I was either trying to lift my legs on top of something of getting into a car, meaning they were bent and my feet were at an angle. At the emergency room I had an IV of Dilaudid and it still took hours for it to improve. But at the time I didn't even know what it was. They thought I had an infection and wanted to cut me open. My doctor had a fit. I figured it out on the drive home (2 hrs) as I watched the spasms starting in the car. I was able to control them by massage at the time.

My PCP wanted me to take something with quinine in which is why he suggested tonic water, plus I started taking postassium supplements. But what really helped was Hyland's Relax Calf & Foot Cramps. That was immediate relief when they would start. I did also use Voltarin Cream at times also But it did delay my PT because my legs were so sore the next day I could hardly lift them. And of course every time it happened really bad they did a doppler looking for blood clots.

I'm so sorry you are having this problem because it really is painful. I was in inpatient rehab and kept telling them my pain level was 3-4 most of the time and my nurse didn't believe me. When this started she asked me again and I said 10+...and she believed me then.

I really wish you the best and hope they stop soon. I wouldn't wish them on anyone.
 
I've always been told vitamin E was effective for spasms. Have you tried?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have not tried vitamin e. Will check for it next time I'm in the store. Spasms started today in worship service. I think these were from dehydration as I only had enough grape juice to wash down the meds. Got a large sweet tea from Sonic and haven't had another. I was able to massage and keep them at a low level.

On a good note, I slept through the night without waking for meds. First time since surgery. :)
 
They must be awful. I had bad muscle spasms in hospital - but haven't had any problems with them since.
A big YAY for your sleep!!!! Lucky you. Its 4am in the morning here :). I have always been told that Magnesium is the supplement of choice for muscle spasms??? I used to use this prior to my BTKR, and definitely found a difference in my 'restless' leg issues at night, I wonder if that would help?
 
If I remember right magnesium helps your body to process the potassium. I think....lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So excited for you to be able to sleep through the night!! I know I will again someday, but right now I'm pretty happy with three consecutive hours.
 
The Hyland's leg cramp pills have always worked for me. I used to have terrible leg cramps: sometimes the calf and shin, sometimes the inner thighs. I tried all sorts of things but the Hyland's were the only thing that worked. I still have some on hand but luckily haven't had any cramps since my surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom