Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its interesting the different approaches isn't it? I was never told not to shave at all - and was showering with no covering by Day 2. Im VERY over the TED hose as well - I'm wondering how significant it is if we are now pretty mobile? I'm on 300mg aspirin as well. Squats sound scary though!! Its a good feeling to start doing things that give you a normal motion though isn't it!
 
I hope things at home with your parents are starting to settle, and make your recovery a little easier too.
 
She stayed outside playing with fire all day. I did get on to her once because she asked me the same question five times in a row. I finally told her no means no! Stop asking!
 
I was released from home health today. :) changed to aspirin from Coumadin on Tuesday. Last home pt is this afternoon. I start outpatient pt on Monday. :) I managed to go to the dr for allergy shots and pharmacy for more Demerol. Still waiting on my chauffeur to get out of the store. Ready to go home as the muscle spasms are starting.
 
We made it! Doctors office, new pharmacy, grocery store, and chik-fil-a. :) I stayed in the truck at the grocery store. Quads were very stiff when I tried to get out of the truck. I did manage the front seat though. :) not too shabby for 17 days post-op.
 
You're doing well! Don't forget that your main job is still to rest!
 
Dear @msmechanic58 and @Spider -
In answer to my pre-op question, my OS said that he usually did not require his patients to use TED hose. Yay! My legs are big, and I was really worried about how I was going to manage getting those stockings on and off. I had checked out some of the compression hose tools available for purchase on the Net. They were expensive, sometimes didn't come with instructions, and looked difficult to use unless your legs were fully functioning. I was thrilled when my OS said I wouldn't need them. And apparently I didn't.
 
Squats, standing quad sets with resistance band, and step ups making sure to bend at the knee to push up and set down. These are evil today! I feel like a slug when I think about what I was doing exercise wise 6 months ago. *sigh*

Be patient - it will come back.
 
wow you're doing lots of exercises. My PT has given me very little. I think we are quite different in Aus - we don't have regular PT, just sent home with exercises, and checked on for progress every 2 weeks. My last lot of instructions included calf raises, leg lifts of of the side of a high chair, gently 'bouncing' my knees into flexion from a high chair, and straightening with a rolled up towel. That is all I am supposed to be doing, and minimising time on my feet. I bet we'll all end up in the same place, its just interesting to read the different approaches isn't it.
 
Too many yesterday....lol. I ended up with a huge knot in my quad muscle. Hubby had to massage it for several minutes before it released.

On another note, I can't get the TED hose to stay up. They keep rolling down on my incision. Off with them I say. Yes I have washed them and they still are rolling.

Lastly, my leg and incision seem to be dry. I've used lotion on my legs. I'm afraid to put anything on the scar until the steri strips come off. Thoughts?

[Bonesmart.org] May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me
 
Your steri strips have stayed on a lot longer than mine did. They were just put on this past Monday, but by Thursday, they were all falling off. I took a shower each morning. I'm sure that had something to do with them not staying on.
 
My staples were removed and steri-strips applied on May 9. My OS said that I could shower and shampoo, but not to put anything on the incisions. The hospital discharge instructions stated that the strips should be left on for a week or until they fell off. 3 steri-strips fell off around May 22, but the rest weren't going anywhere. After showering, the rest seemed to "re-stick" themselves to my skin. On May 26, my OS gave me permission to remove the last of the strips - in the shower. They came off easily although there was one little incision area that did not seem completely healed. The OS said I could use cocoa butter or vitamin E cream on the incisions.

Prior to the steri-strip removal, I had started applying Renew lotion to the the skin around the incisions because it was quite dry. I had used Renew for years prior to surgery and I didn't want a skin reaction. Someone had posted that they had a bad reaction to the vitamin E cream. I now use Renew and Epionce sun screen on the incisions. I had used both of these on my face and body for many years.
 
I used to use Renew! Then I found out I'm allergic to tea tree oil. :( it's good stuff! The strips are starting to loosen. I think they've stayed on because I was wearing the compression hose still.
 
I lost a couple of steri-strips already due to some oozing on one incision which has since closed up. The rest seem to be coming loose around the edges but I'm trying not to fiddle with them. I've been using Aquaphor on the extreme perimeter of the strips just to keep the skin moist and around the edges of those big blisters I had (all of which popped before I left the hospital). At night I put on one of those big abdominal pads on each knee and cover it with a small towel. Otherwise I leave them open to the air.
 
My steri strips started coming off about 3 days after they were put on. If the edges stared coming up I would just trim the edges. At about day 9 one of the therapist at PT took all the rest off. Kind of surprised he did that. I've been putting baby oil on the scar twice a day. Because there are still scabs that's what the therapist suggested, baby oil. I have a nice thin line but today noticed that the top part of the incision line is widening. Kind of bummed about that. When my knee is bent it just feels like it is pulling on that skin. The skin feels tight. But Josephine posted a picture of a scar at 3 months and 3 yrs - huge improvement. So I'm hoping nature will be kind to my scar.
 
Went to church and out to lunch today on day 20. Was out of energy when I got home so I rested and iced. Now have balanced the checkbook and paid bills for the week. Think I shall take a nap now. Hope your Sunday is going well.
 
I went out last night which was maybe a bit much! My family plays in a band, and I went to a party to watch them play. Planned to only go for an hour or so, but didn't get home until after midnight! oops. I did only sit all night, half of the evening with my legs on another chair. Sore knees today - but my mental health is much improved due to some social interaction!!
 
Everything is a trade off.....lol

I start outpatient pt tomorrow afternoon. I'm a bit anxious. Mostly that I won't have enough energy to get through it all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom