Bilateral TKR May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
OS appt coming up Monday. He have me a goal of 90 degrees to shoot for. My first day of outpatient pt and I was at 90 and 92. He added 4 new exercises and modified 2 to use light weight. I did the recent bike for about 15 minutes. At first I could only go halfway and backwards. Within about 5 minutes my left leg decided to go around all the way. I hollered! So excited. After about 5 more minutes my right leg decided to not be left behind! Do you know how excited that made me???? I only made about 20 revolutions with both knees but I did it. Loved the heat and the tens machine. Two more appts this week. :)
 
..bike ...At first I could only go halfway and backwards. Within about 5 minutes my left leg decided to go around all the way...After about 5 more minutes my right leg decided to not be left behind! ...I only made about 20 revolutions with both knees but I did it.
:thumb::thumb::thumb: What you describe is EXACTLY correct for using the bike. Gently get going, then just a few gentle revs.

You can do that same thing more than once a day, too.
 
I could if I had a bike here.....lol. I have an elliptical but have not ventured out on it yet
 
Congratulations on your success with the bike! After a few back and forth-ings, I found it was easier for me to make complete revolutions as well on my first attempt. What a thrill - good for you!
 
And today after not sleeping well I hate my knees. I hate my bed. I hate looking at the scars. I hate the walker. I hate the pain. I'm going back to bed!
 
oh dear. I have had my up and down days aplenty as well. I really think that is just part of the journey. Whenever I am having one of those days my husband always reminds me of where I was a week ago, and how much better I am. Its a slow journey isn't it - as much as you know its going to be over, its still hard when you're in the middle of it. Hang in there, and I hope you got some extra sleep!
 
Thanks for the encouragement @Spider. I took two naps today. Still stiff and swollen. Hope to have a better pt tomorrow. Headed to bed.
 
Back at pt today and he was much more gentle. We still stretched the bending but not to the point of screaming. He realized my left knee was very obstinate and didn't try to force it. A good balance between pushing forward and being gentle.

I also have antibiotics for possible strep. Rapid test was negative but he prescribed meds as a precaution. What a week.
 
@Josephine - is it ok to add Ibuprofen to ultram and Demerol? I also take 325mg of aspirin once per day and Tylenol as needed.
 
I hope it's ok to take ibuprofen. Out of curiosity when did everyone's surgery pain lessen? My pharmacist is having a hard time renewing my Demerol as it is back ordered.
 
Lots of good thoughts headed your way, @msmechanic58 . It's good you have the early report time. That means you are first up so you'll have a fresh team and no likelihood an earlier surgery goes long and interferes. By this time tomorrow, your arthritic pain will be gone and you will be on the road to recovery!:wow:
I was the 2nd one up. I asked my OS if his hands were steady and had a good night's rest. He explained he had already done a hip so he's all warmed up for me and held out his arm steadily.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
What did you do for pain? Allergic to Codeine and they are not real willing to give pain meds. Only had 3 tramadol and 4 Tylenol today.


Bilateral tkr May 19, 2014
the epidural took the brunt of most of the bad pain for me. the nerve endings were yelling but my brain didn't hear. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Did you come home with a brace or not? I don't remember how long I have to wear these things and they are driving me crazy!


Bilateral tkr May 19, 2014
I never had any kind of brace either. Between CPMs, braces, bi or mono lateral, OS' sure have various approaches.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
All the different styles amaze me.

Stairs are getting easier. Still babying the knees going down. Can so up one foot per step now. Left knee needs a little support with the hand rail. Right knee thinks nothing of it. Went up and down my 5 stairs 3 times today. My baby sitters fussed at me. :)
[Bonesmart.org] May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom