Bilateral TKR May 19, 2014 bilateral knees for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be getting a tens machine for home use. Hoping that will help with muscle spasms.

Pt today went well. We managed 117 out of 120 on both knees. No pain with this but lots of heavy breathing. :) I had lots of cheerleaders today.
 
Hi @msmechanic58. I am just getting caught up on all of the people I have been neglecting the past few days. Sorry to hear about your muscle spasms! I have had leg cramps before but not spasms. The only spasms I get are the jolts where the nerves are reigniting. That is a weird feeling. I hope you find a solution soon.

Thank him profusely. Make a big deal of appreciating him. Never let him see you redo anything. Accept it in its imperfection as help. I had to learn in the last few years that help can be ok done someone else's way. :)

I love this and it works for me too - 24 years of marriage and counting. When people ask what our secret to a long marriage is I say "zero expectations". That way you are never disappointed. :heehee:

Congratulations on sleeping through the night. Such an awesome milestone! I hope you have many more in your future.
 
Well - trying not to panic. Dr is not wanting to refill the Demerol prescription. I will be taking tramadol, Tylenol and aspirin as needed. Trying to figure out a new schedule.
 
Did he at least give you a heads up or one more level of taper? Mine has been changing my dosages and times, so now one is 4-6 hours, one is 6 hours, one is 8 hours, one is 12 hours all are as needed. I think it's a ploy to either get me to be super organized or so inefficient and sleep deprived that I start missing doses on accident.
 
He cut the dose in half 10 days ago. I was surprised when I called to renew everything. The aspirin seems to be helping the most. I have about 6 half pills - 25mgs - left. I'm trying to save them for pt days if I can. I did have to take one when I got up this morning. I've been limping on my left knee since yesterday. Sunday night it hyper extended some and has been pretty swollen since then. Up and down. Up and down.

On top of this fear/panic, one of my dogs died yesterday. My son is away at camp and I don't want to tell him and make him upset at camp. I also feel bad not telling him. :(
 
oh no, so sorry about your dog @msmechanic58. They get so close to you, and it is very hard time when they leave. Don't feel bad for your son, he wouldn't want to be feeling sad with all his mates on camp - he will want to feel comfortable expressing grief at home with his mum I'm sure!
 
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog!:cry:We went through the same thing last summer. Our Irish Setter passed away in the night while my youngest daughter was at camp. I felt so guilty not telling her in her daily messages, but it really is something that has to be done in person. Both my husband and I went to pick her up from camp and waited to hear about camp before we told her. We also stopped on the way home and got her a slushy first. It didn't make it any easier, but we were there to hug her when we told her.

A hyperextended knee is something I fear too- shoot, who am I kidding, I kind of fear a fully extended knee without 1000 stretches before hand. I feel like he should have given you more warning to prepare for such a change in your care. Others have suggested to me that if the pain is bad and your ortho doc won't help that you should try your GP. Extra ice in the meantime?

Will be thinking of you and your family!
 
Thank you! My son is 14 and will probably be ok but not a text message topic. :(

I also have a friend who is a pain management doctor if I need to go that route. Elevating now and will add ice soon.
 
Sorry to hear about your dog. As you might guess from my Avatar, dogs are a big deal to me. Biscuit was my constant companion for almost 11 years. We had to let her go back in March. In fact, I delayed my surgery twice because I didn't want to be in the hospital and in recovery until she was gone. (She had an inoperable tumor on her liver that we knew was gonna take her) Hang in there.
 
So sorry to hear about your doggy! I would wait as well until your son is home from camp.
Hope you are managing with the change in meds okay. Nice to have a friend who is a pain management doctor if required. To be honest, I hd never heard of a pain management doctor before this forum. Is it part of specific type of medical practice or is it a practice in itself? Very interesting.
 
Sunday night it hyper extended some and has been pretty swollen since then. Up and down. Up and down.

With a hyper extended knee and swelling you need to stop this "up and down" business and stay off the stairs!!

one of my dogs died yesterday

I know how you must feel. Our pets become are part of our families. My wife still grieves over our last Sheltie that passed just over a year ago. Sorry for your loss.
 
Phil - my little guy was a sheltie too. So sassy! His "brother" who we adopted from the shelter is so lost today.

I've been on the bed or the recliner all day. Only down the stairs and up the stairs once today. Lol
 
Thank you Beetle and Biscuit. I still am missing my last dog we lost too and it was 8 years ago.

Beetle - Dr. Walters is in a clinic of his own.
 
Sorry to hear about your dog, I agree with the others, wait until you can tell your son in person. You can check with your pain clinic friend or your primary for appropriate pain medication. If you have pain you need medication.
Take it easy today, let your knee rest.
 
I am so very sorry to read of the loss of one of your dogs. I, too, am a dog-lover and know how much it hurts. They love us deeply and unconditional and are very much a big part of my family.

I lost one a short while ago who helped me get through my BTKR.

I have no doubt that your dog is waiting for you, and you will meet again someday.
 
Ugh. Lost my balance twice trying to get in and out of the shower. Hubby says just use your legs and quit trying to baby them. I WISH that this was just milking it.
 
I am so careful in and out of the shower, frustrating to lose your balance. You have to retrain your knees for balance and that takes time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom