Guest viewing is limited

THR Littlejem is on the move!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not getting to sleep on your favourite side is a pain but I am sure you will get there eventually, for me it was my first bath went in to quick at six weeks and set myself back a week but got there after nine weeks and celebrated with a few beers in the bath luxury. :thumb:
 
The little white dog we rescued from the dog pound about 10 years ago. Very cute little fellow, Chico's his name, but he had a rough start with whoever owned him before. He looks like a papillon/chihuahua mix, maybe, we don't know. But he has a good home now and is a good little boy, expcept will bite any strangers that come in (left over from his early traumatic days), and especially doesn't like workmen - he goes right for their boots! Lucky thing they have them on! Poor little fella is also deathly afraid of loud noises, like thunder, or if the smoke alarm goes off - his nerves are frayed! Post traumatic stress from being handled poorly as a pup. I can't bear thinking of it...

The brown dog is a full breed poodle, believe it or not. I just don't have her trimmed poodle fashion. She's named Sweetie and is a real sweetheart. She's old now, 16 1/2 and we dread the thought of losing her. She's quite deaf, unless we scream, which we don't, and her eyesight is failing. She also has hip arthritis, but is on an NSAID medication for dogs. Poor thing - I couldn't let her suffer, as I know what it's like! She's very gentle and very good, but getting a bit senile now, and starting to puddle in the house now and again. So we have to potty her outside like you would with training a toddler - every couple of hours when we're home. She's ok if we're not here, as she just sleeps all day.
So that's the doggie story. I've had dogs all my life. My parents loved them. We always had two - one big one for outside mostly, and a little one for in the house. So I grew up with them- and lots of other pets, too.
So Henry has a sleepover buddy this weekend, hey? Very sweet, he is, to tolerate a little one like that! I'm glad they got to go out with you and enjoy the pub, too! Mine love a car ride.
 
Littlejem sleeping on your side at first isn't very pleasant but my first hip, operated February 27th feels good to sleep on now. My new hip isn't quite there yet. I can lay on it for a short while then I have to adjust.
 
It's the incision that I'm laying on. My PT showed me to use a small pillow, or a pillow roll and put it at the waistline, and side lay on it, that way the pressure is off of the hip
I have been sleeping on my non-operated side since coming home from hospital. I started with 1/2 per night and now I might manage 3hrs before I need to roll onto my back. I have been trying to sleep on the other side too. It really hurts my incision which is right on the side. I will try the pillow at the waist tonight too. Thanks for the info.
 
Elosarabrab Allycat I tried sleeping on my unoperated side last night but it didn't last long, the unoperated hip really didn't like it!! I completely forgot the waist pillow!!
sandybeach & Allycat I can't remember, did you have anterior to be able sleep on your side so quickly? I will keep trying until my next hip op but I was aching so much and tossing and turning this morning that I was up this morning at 6am!!

ByGosh Both of your dogs sound really cute with their own personalities and good and bad points!! You obviously love them very much, I know would hate to be without my boy now and my 2 cats. Chico sounds a perfect name for your papillon/chihuahua mix, poor boy to have such a horrible start in life but he's really fallen on his paws now with you, I bet he's spoilt rotten!! It's so worrying when our canine friends get old, my last girls (Wiemaranars) were 15 and 15 1/2 when we lost them, which for a large breed is quite old and it broke my heart when we lost Maddie, and then 18 months later Lyndy. Your little girl is very lucky to have such a caring owner who quite obviously loves her very much and will look after and care for her in her old years. We rescued Henry at 4 1/2, from the breed rescue because we wanted another Weimaranar, and him and Lyndy spent just 8 months getting to know each other. I think we will stick to 1 dog until I retire, work is so good about me taking Henry in but I'd be pushing it to take in 2!! It's been nice to talk about our dogs! Janet :puppysmooze:
 
Littlejem, I found it was the unoperated leg that complained the most. I am back to the "laying on the back thing" for 3 months. I fell asleep straight away but woke up about 2am took a while to get back to sleep. There was no pain, I just couldn't get back to sleep. For a while anyway. Next thing I knew it was 11am!
Barbara
 
Hi Elosarabrab I must admit to be getting used to the whole sleeping on my back and wonder if it's worth trying to go onto my side when in 6 weeks I'll be back on to my back again!! I've just come up to bed for a nap, we've got my daughter and the grandchildren coming round later for Sunday dinner so I'll need a rest now, my husband is cooking mind!!! :heehee:
 
did you have anterior to be able sleep on your side so quickly
My incision is on the side of my leg, towards the back. Not sure what that's called. If I lie on that side I'm right on the incision, so I think it will be a while before it's comfortable on that side. No probs at all sleeping on the unoperated side.
 
Littlejem So.... how did this second hip come about so quickly?? You will be ALL BETTER by the time I even get to ask my OS if i can even HAVE the second one done LOL. Look out, world, here comes Janet at top speed, scattering little dogs left and right, sleeping on both sides now, walking fast all over your facility... that will be you! :) :happydance:
 
Hi zauberflöte we've been worried about you, hope all is ok, maybe I need to slip over to your thread to check!! My hips, I knew they both needed doing and the OS even gave me the choice which one he'd do first! My unoperated hip has been really playing up in the last few weeks, I suppose I'm relying more on it since my operation. Also with the leg difference it feels really odd and unbalanced that I think it best to get it sorted ASAP. Your description of me post op sound wonderful, lets hope eh!! :heehee:
 
Littlejem wooooohoooooo and Yeeeehaaaaawwwww :happydance: :dancy: and other more ladylike expressions of delight such as genteel Southern Belle applause with little white gloves on. My OS said two conflicting things, of which I could only write down one, as he was trying to manipulate the bad one for ROM while he said the other... Based I guess on xrays, he said, "they're both pretty bad but the right is pretty much b-o-b." Then he also said "The other one looks like it could last a while". I just don't want to go down the same disability road with the left as I did with the right. Just like everybody here! :)
 
Thanks zauberflöte, after the day I've had with it I could do with it being earlier but I guess at least my new hip will be stronger and more healed by then. He'd always said that my right was worse than my left but only marginally and that he was happy to do it soon after the right. I don't blame you for not wanting to wait until the left one is causing you a lot more problems like the right but at least you will know how it all works and how long you'll have to wait so hopefully you'll be on top of it next time. :)
 
TeeEm now that's a brilliant thought to carry me forward!!! Thanks x:martini:
 
Littlejem Wonderful news you have your left hip surgery date. When all healed you'll be walking with not 1 but 2 shiney new hips! Good for you. I'm gonna try the pillow thingy, I am (was) a side sleeper I might give it a try during one of my nap times. I'll let you know how it goes when I do it.
 
Littlejem Wonderful that you have your next date. You'll be all good as new before you know it. And that glass of pims (sorry, I have to google that one) sounds just lovely for you. :)
zauberflöte I would definately say that we're all a bit preoccupied with prunes and plums and tinned plums and the like, wouldn't you? :heehee:
 
Littlejem, You got your date for the next surgery...yay!! You and I have the same experience with both our hips going bad at the same time. My OS asked me also which hip would I like replaced first so I got to pick and like yours, my unoperated hip became more painful until my surgery on it. When I get into a car now I have to smile at the fact the pain is gone from both hips now. The pain for me to get into a car was horrible that I would get tears in my eyes and wonder why did it have to be so painful. How is your operated hip doing? Are you able to walk on it without the aid of a cane or crutch?
 
I'm starting to feel a little jealous about you girls getting the second hip done. I think the pain in my first hip was so great that I never noticed the other one, and now, well it's playing up. I'm not due to see OS for 12months re hip no.1 but I somehow suspect I'll be seeing him before that for hip no.2. I'm not in pain, but there is definitely stiffness, and I now know that is the precurser to the pain. When will the pain get bad enough for surgery? Well how long is a piece of string...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom