THR Littlejem is on the move!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Teacat, no I wasn't too tired but I'm glad I only did a half day!! :)
I think they are grateful that I've gone back earlier than I needed to but for me it was good to go back and not have any pressure to work more hours or days than I was happy to do, so it worked both ways.
 
Off to see the physio tomorrow and I hope she is pleased with my progress I'm really dreading he putting me on the bike as the thought of sitting on that saddle brings tears to my eyes!!! :cry: I'm going into work again, with Henry and trying to do slightly longer days this week and more of them, my boss is happy for me to work as and when I can which is wonderful. I see my consultant on Friday when I'll be 6 weeks post op and no doubt we will discuss dates for my next hip. :sad:
 
Hi Littlejem, well done you for going back to work early. I hope that it all goes ok for you. Is your hydrotherapy on the NHS?
 
Thanks Firebrand, it was nice to get into work last week, a bit of normality!! No not NHS, we've had work private healthcare through BUPA for 28 or so years and when Steve was made redundant last year we took the option to continue to pay, knowing I'd need more treatment. We knew I wasn't right, although we didn't know at the time what my problem was, I'd had a spinal fusion last April because of pain but of course it turned out I also had 2 worn out hips!! I must admit the hydro pool is lovely and you can exercise so much easier in the lovely warm water. :)
 
Hi Littlejem - I'm catching up on your thread now. So glad to hear that you went back to work and did well with it! That's a big step. And good boy Henry to keep you company at work, too. Lucky you guys! It's wonderful how the UK treats their dogs so much more like a part of the family than they do here in the US. My dogs would love to go everywhere with me.
Good luck with your physio tomorrow - the hydro pool sounds perfect - nice warm water - ahhhhhhh. When I was going to the swimming pool it felt good to get in the water even if it was a bit too cool for me. Just to take the weight off...
You'll get a great report from the consultant Friday. And you don't have to worry a bit about your next surgery, because you sailed through this one beautifully. Next one will be a breeze - you're a pro now!
 
Littlejem Hi Janet I hope you enjoy that hydrotherapy session tomorrow in the lovely warm water.It sounds just the ticket for aching muscles. I have to wait until I am 6 weeks to get back into the pool.Are you suffering from muscle aches like me ?
 
Littlejem
You can take your dog to work? Is that true for most businesses in the UK? The hydrotherapy pool sounds wonderful! I can't imagine sitting on a bike seat either. Hope it's not too bad!
 
No it is unusual to be able to take your dog to work, I am very lucky all my colleges absolutely love Henry!! I work for a museum were they store and work on the large objects in the collection, it's on a fairly remote old airfield so as the museum owns the site and buildings and I have my own office he's not interfering with anyone or other businesses. He is so good, just sitting under my desk, he's always happy if he's with me and my boss occasionally brings his dog in too!! :puppysmooze:
Mmm I'm hoping I don't have too sit on that bike too!!
 
Hi Littlejem. Sorry if you thought that my question was in any way questioning your choice to go private. I was just being curious (ie nosy) about what the criteria are for who gets hydrotherapy here in the UK on the NHS, whether there are regional differences, etc. A friend has just had her 6th joint replaced, in the same hospital that I was in (hips/knees and now both shoulders) and has just been offered hydro for the first time - so I would suspect that it is about acute need here. (Either that or its like a loyalty card in a coffee shop where you get your 9th cup free...) I think that my only criticism of having my op on the NHS would be that the two physio sessions I got afterwards just didn't allow for the level of detail that I would have wanted. I'm thinking about going to the swimming pool, but a bit worried about my capacity for getting in and out on the metal ladder.
 
Hi Firebrand, no I didn't mind you asking at all, our local NHS hospital certainly hasn't got a pool although I believe there is one somewhere fairly local as my daughter told me she had a few sessions there when she was having back problems. What a shame that you don't all get to have a few sessions in there, it really is nice to exercise in the warm water. It would be interesting to have a loyalty card wouldn't it!! :heehee: Although having said that I wouldn't want to have that many joints replaced!!! I will only be having 4 physio appointments as she says I only need one more. I had to go onto the bike today and getting on was a real nightmare although I must admit once on, it didn't feel too bad and in fact my other hip was giving me the most problems!! I wondered about going to the local pool but like you was concerned about getting in and out. :what:
 
Hi Janet, great to hear things are going well in work and wow, how fab that you get to take Henry in with you, he must be a very well behaved boy, my two would run riot through the office I just know it :)

I had hydrotherapy many years ago on the NHS to try and help with my hip pain...it didn't but I loved getting in that lovely warm pool, what a treat it was.

I really suffered in the bum dept on the exercise bike at first....haven't got a lot of padding there especially on THR side, wasted muscles and all that but I realised it had a lot to do with the height of the seat and also it did get better over time as I got used to it.

You are doing so well

Take care

Ann
 
Well I have got padding Anniepops and it's still really uncomfortable!! :blush: The really warm water feels wonderful doesn't it,I just feel like a lead weight getting out later though!!!
 
Firebrand We have a local YMCA pool here and they have handicapped stairs set into the pool so we don't have to climb the metal ladder. They don't have that at the pool near you? The only trouble is that the water is not warm, it's cool for the lap swimmers. I'm always cold when I use it because I don't really 'swim', more like dog paddle around a little. Not fast enough to stay warm.

Littlejem Sounds like we're all impressed with your Henry. Give him a pat for me. :puppysmooze: He is so good.
 
Littlejem on my I am so tardy in catchng up to you! Next sore throat/etc, try gargling with salt water? My mother swears by it, and I've used it with success too. Poppet can tell us why-- :)
I'm glad you're getting back into all the 'real" parts of your life, you sound very happy!! :) :)
 
Littlejem my Dad always used to tell us to gargle with salt water. It's one of those old remedies that seems to have benefit to it.
 
Overall, gargling in general can help with a sore throat because it flushes the area of the throat.

The salt is a good component to mix into the warm water because the salt draws moisture out of any bacteria in your throat and draws moisture out of your own swollen tissues, therefore reducing inflammation. This is because the salt attracts the moisture and promotes osmosis. Also, the salt not only destroys the bacteria it also prevents it from growing!

Littlejem, zauberflöte, ByGosh
 
Poppet ooooh I love learning stuff like that-- thank you!! Move over zinc lozenges, gargling is sooooo much easier :)
So this is another reason to use the Neti pot in trying to avert a sinus infection! Not just for clearing out goop so I can get the steroid inhaler to do its thing, but actually preventing the bacteria-- very nice!!
 
Poppet
I'm always curious...what is the salt to water ratio? I've heard about gargling with salt and water but how much of each do I use?

zauberflöte
I love the neti pot! I can't take OTC decongestants due to high blood pressure and it's my go to when my nose gets stuffy. But, did you hear in the new about someone dying after using it due to brain eating bacteria? Apparently she was using warm tap water. I boil my water for 5 minutes and then let it cool down enough to use. I suppose you could also use distilled water.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom