Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Lindylee's RTKR 20 January 2020

henrietta

Country
France France
My right TKR was Feb 2019 and my left was 30th Jan 2020, so I’m similar to you Lindylee!
Not tried stairs yet but we live in a bungalow. Need to do a bit more walking I think.

OP
OP
L

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@ henrietta Hey, we're knee buddies!
I had my worst night last night, self inflicted, I should have known better. :yikes: Having said I couldn't sit with my foot on the floor and knee bent for long, I got carried away doing a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle and paid for it.:bignono:

Rest day today :sleep:

OP
OP
L

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
A day resting helped and I wrapped the knee in clingfilm last night and had a good night's sleep. As I have a couple of small scabs still, I used some kitchen paper towel between my knee and the wrap. It's amazing how it helps, especially with that nagging ache behind the knee. I wouldn't want to use it too early on after surgery, but I think it was about this time last year I tried it.

henrietta

Country
France France
No! So easily done though. Shows your beginning to forget your knee and get on with life!
i have a pack to put ice in and I still do that every night and on waking. (Thanks to the husband) What does the cling film do?
We have done a 1000 piece jigsaw every January for the last few years, including last year.
Last years got started but took a long time to finish. This year we haven’t yet started it! Must do so as it’s supposed to be a winter thing. Usually it’s of a steam engine, my husband‘s favourite thing. What’s yours?

OP
OP
L

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
I think that was the problem Henrietta. Usually the knee complains whilst I'm sitting if I do it for too long, but it didn't, unless I was so engrossed with the puzzle!

I like various puzzles but my favourite are Wasgij puzzles. I don't know if you know them. They're rather like a cartoon, but the picture you make isn't the one on the box. There are various scenarios. It might be the viewpoint of someone in the picture, or it might be 'what happens next?' Or it could be imagining the same event in a different time period. The one I'm doing at the moment shows a group of people in a Land Rover on safari and the picture you make is what the ranger sees, which is lots of animals round the waterhole.

As for the clingfilm, there's a Bonesmart article and video that explains it. I don't quite understand how it works, but it does. I used it a lot from about 4 weeks last time and had my most comfortable night last night.

henrietta

Country
France France
Thank you Lindylee, will look at the info on cling film.
No haven’t heard of Wasgij puzzles, sounds strange. Will look out for them (although traditional ones are hard enough....)
having a lazy morning in bed, for no better reason than I can!

OP
OP
L

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
@henrietta Enjoy your lie in!

henrietta

Country
France France
Thank you, I’ve looked at the video and signed up for the newsletter!
got to get up soon. Going to a french class today with a friend. Feet are cold so I have socks on!

aries

Country
Hi Lindylee,
where do I find the I formation on cling film and what does it do exactly. I have not heard of it.
Hope that everything is going well with your recovery

OP
OP
L

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
@aries It's in the Library under General Topics and If you're in pain

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...g-moist-heat-and-clingfilm.12794/#post-283735

It does seem to help with the dull aches at the back of the knee and surrounding tissue. Last night, for some reason my knee felt very sore on the top and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference to that, but I had a reasonable night in spite of it. I don't really know how it works, something to do with moist heat, but it does make a difference.

Recovery is going well thanks, much better than last year. I feel more balanced with 2 straight legs and walking is such an improvement over last year.

How are you doing?

aries

Country
Yes, recovery seems to be going OK. Went to see physio yesterday for the first time and that gave me a lift, as he seemed to be very positive and pleased with progress. I think it makes me feel better to get out of the house, even if it was just to the physio.
Pain is not too bad, although I seem to get some medial discomfort. I am beginning to think that these pains are triggered by heel slides, so maybe I should be a bit more gentle.
I had a sleepless night last night. Not due to knee pain, but I am not sure why. I did have two cups of tea late yesterday afternoon, and I think the caffeine was keeping me awake. I always sleep on my side and I am finding it more difficult after this op to sleep on my side, due to some discomfort in knee. I will go back to herbal tea this afternoon.
Still have swelling and stiffness though, but I suppose it is still very early days.

OP
OP
L

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
@aries I know what you mean about getting out. I had a touch of cabin fever Saturday and couldn't wait to get out to the chiropractor today. Looking forward to podiatrist tomorrow and physio Thursday!

It seems as if you're doing well and stiffness and swelling all par for the course for several weeks, I hope you sleep better tonight.

OP
OP
L

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
I had my second physio assessment today. It was a different physio who wasn't happy with my range of movement and said she was going to apply pressure on my knee to straighten it more. I soon told her she wasn't! She decided next to assess my bend by getting me to lay on my back and slide my heel towards my bottom and wasn't happy with that either, told me to practice putting a belt round it and pulling it back. I won't be doing that either!

The physio 2 weeks ago was quite happy with my ROM and agreed with me that having had a bent and crooked leg for years it was going to take time for the tissues to stretch. He assessed my bend with my knee hanging freely instead of on the bed. As I can bend this knee enough to come downstairs already and have been for over a week, whereas it took over 2 months last time, I'm really not bothered.

She wants to see me again in 2 weeks to see if things improve before she refers me to the post surgery exercise class. Last year I had one assessment and was referred straight away. One positive remark was that I was walking well so that's something.

sistersinhim

Country
United States United States
It's crazy how different therapists in the same facility can be. Good for you sticking to what you know what works for you and not letting the new therapist hurt you.

henrietta

Country
France France
Can’t you ask to see the first physio who you were happy with?

OP
OP
L

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
@henrietta Fortunately it's only an assessment to see when you're ready to join the hip and knee post surgery exercise class and, as it happens, they couldn't fit me in Thursday week, so gave me Tuesday saying it would be different physios. We'll see what happens then!

sistersinhim

Country
United States United States

We'll see what happens then!
You need to take complete control over what happens at PT. Then you'll know what will happen. Never let them push or pull your leg, don't use bands or weights. If anything hurts then or later, or if your knee swells afterwards, then your knee is not ready for that.

It's your knee, not the PT's or your doctor's. You are the one that has to deal with the after-effects of a bad PT visit or over exercising. Treat your knee like the baby that it is and you'll get alone much better.

OP
OP
L

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
@sistersinhim Thank you. After all I've learnt on Bonesmart, I have no intention of letting anyone do anything I don't want them to. It will be interesting to see what the next physio says though and whether they'll finally sign me up for the exercise class.

henrietta

Country
France France
Exercise class sounds good, nice to meet others in the same situation.
Saw my Kine yesterday and spent 20 minutes squeezing a foam ball at the back of my knee then (never done this before) holding on to wall bars while stepping up and down On the ground. After that going up and down on tip toes. Tired after that, and the aches and pains in my back and hips continue. All par for the course I think.

OP
OP
L

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
@henrietta I had a lot of hip and back pain last time. I don't seem to have the same problem this time round. I do have a problem with my hip, but that's due to tendonopathy that I've had a long time and the knee exercises are aggravating it, which I knew would happen.

I enjoyed the exercise class last time. It's a 6 week course with about 10 people all at different stages, a mix of hips and knees, and interesting to see how different people get on. The foam ball sounds interesting. How often do you go to your Kine?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Decadeofbliss
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom