Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lindylee's RTKR 20 January 2020

@henrietta They're tightening up on the lockdown here too. Police have been stopping cars to check where people are going and they've also been walking round the streets. Rest those knees!

@aries Good to hear you were ok after your fall. First thing we think of is our knees isn't it? Last week was a nightmare finding food, visited 6 shops just to get the basics. This week has been ok for food so far. The supermarkets seem more organised, have reduced the number of people in at a time and clearly marked the 2 metre gap. We're allowed one home delivery a week and they email us to tell us when the slots are available. Of course everyone logs on and the,system is slow, but better than nothing. I've opted for early in the week as I figure I stand more chance over a slot on Thursday or Friday. Time will tell!
 
Lindylee and Aries, sorry to hear getting supplies is such a problem. Our shop had plenty of every thing, except funnily enough honey. It’s a big shop but we’re in a very rural area. I imagine that in big towns in France they may have similar problems to you (although I don’t really know, my french not being up to reading the french news much, which is a pity, I do try).
 
Ouch, Lindylee!! Am so sorry you fell. It must have felt very painful after the initial shock. Am So glad someone was there and kind enough to help you.

Also hope that everyone is managing to get by in such worrying times. Sending warm thoughts to everyone. Its very cold where we are but the spring sunshine is stunning after a very chilly and misty start to the day.:flwrysmile::froggies:
 
We here in Ohio are locked down also. Delivery of groceries has been ok, and my daughter and husband are helping us. Being over 70 and a history of a hospitalization for sepsis is worrisome but I am trying to be upbeat. Neighbors wonderful. People are supposed to put a teddy bear in their window for the little kids to see on their walks. I feel badly for the people on here who are in early recovery with their surgeries coping with pain along with this quarantine.
 
@aperture Isn't it wonderful how people are pulling together and helping one another? Here people are putting rainbows in windows for the children to look out for. Last night, we all stood outside at 8.00 pm and clapped,together in support of all the wonderful nurses, doctors and carers. It was quite emotional.

It must be a worry for you after having sepsis. Stay safe and healthy.
 
dear All, yes sorry for those early in their recovery and those with other health issues. We’re in rural France, and although the virus numbers keep going up we feel a bit safer here than elsewhere and go out rarely.
today I went for a walk through the vines, over 2 km I think. Knee hurts a bit now but not too much. Saw a physio on line using ‘zoom’ yesterday. Very helpful I thought.
 
@Pumpkln Do you think that's the same when it happens even if you haven't been sitting for long? I'm conscious that this isn't my original post so please delete or move if inappropriate, but I get the ripping noise, no pain, getting out of bed or even if I was to sit down and stand straight up again.

Reading the description of Movie Time, that sounds how my knees were before surgery.
 
@Lindylee,
I'm conscious that this isn't my original post so please delete or move if inappropriate
I have moved your post to keep the discussion about your knee in your thread. This will keep your questions and concerns in one place, and give you a complete diary of your recovery.
Thanks!
 
It could just be the tight band feeling that you are experiencing. Some experience the tight band feeling for a short period of time, some experience it for months after TKR.
 
@Pumpkln Thank you for moving my post.

The strange thing is that the right knee that makes the noise doesn't feel tight. It feels perfectly normal, unlike the first that did feel tight until recently, but didn't make the noise, and now feels loose! The left knee has never felt like a 'normal' or 'natural' knee whereas the right has from around 6 weeks. It gives me no pain or discomfort. It's just that ripping sound as I stand from sitting even if I were to sit down and stand straight up again.

It's been reassuring to hear others have the same issue though.
 
I’m sure that ripping sound is concerning! My Patellofemoral partial has never made a sound, but I read that other members with partials do get sounds with theirs. I wonder if the location of the Patellofemoral makes a difference.
 
@Jockette Looking back the ripping sound started just after the birth of my second son and I wonder now if that was the start of mistracking within my knee. It did disappear some years later. I have been wondering if it's something to do with my anatomy, scoliosis and the correction of the valgus that might be the cause of the problem. I figure if it takes as long to become a problem this time round I'll probably be dead anyway. :heehee: I will mention it to my doctor though.
 
It’s a while since I’ve been on here. My right knee is just brilliant. I still have that Velcro noise that the surgeon said was nothing to worry about and something to do with scar tissue.

The left knee has some issues still and feels a little wobbly. The surgeon agreed it was looser than the right when he moved my lower leg from side to side but said it was surgically successful and more a problem with the surrounding tissue and to keep exercising it. I’m not quite sure about that although the some of the looseness was there after my cycling accident. I still have some pain going up and down stairs and it aches if I’ve walked on in for an hour or so, not that I’ve been doing much of that for a few months.

Since January I’ve had a very painful, swollen right foot and ankle. Due to Covid I had a telephone physio appointment that did nothing, saw a podiatrist and have orthotics now, was referred onto an orthopaedic surgeon who diagnosed wear and tear in the talonavicular joint on x-ray, had a MRI that I’m waiting results on and had a cortisone injection on Friday to see if that will give any pain relief. Other wise it looks like fusion surgery, which I’m not too keen on at present, although my brother had ankle fusion last year and is very pleased with it.

Does anyone know whether it’s likely it will be just that one joint that’s fused and what restrictions that is likely to incur? Any advice or help appreciated!
 
It’s interesting that the first and older replacement still has some issues. I’m sorry about that and I hope in time it will get better. I’m glad your other knee is brilliant. It’s hard to figure out, or accept the difference, isn’t it?

Since January I’ve had a very painful, swollen right foot and ankle. Due to Covid I had a telephone physio appointment that did nothing, saw a podiatrist and have orthotics now, was referred onto an orthopaedic surgeon who diagnosed wear and tear in the talonavicular joint on x-ray, had a MRI that I’m waiting results on and had a cortisone injection on Friday to see if that will give any pain relief. Other wise it looks like fusion surgery, which I’m not too keen on at present, although my brother had ankle fusion last year and is very pleased with it.

Does anyone know whether it’s likely it will be just that one joint that’s fused and what restrictions that is likely to incur? Any advice or help appreciated!
I’m sorry about your foot issues! We have a “Other Joints” Forum, you might like to start a thread there about your foot and other members with that experience will see it and reply.
 
Hi @Lindylee! :wave:It's been awhile! Sorry to hear about you ankle issue. I opted for an ankle replacement rather than a fusion and I've been very happy with the results. It might be worth asking if that's an option.
 
Hi @FCBayern
Ankle replacement wasn’t mentioned and I know my brother was advised that fusion was a better option for him. You’re a bit younger than us so maybe that’s why, but I will ask.
 
Last edited:
When I asked about it he said that they don’t always know what the soft tissue is going to be like until they get in and then they do the best job they can. I had cartilage damage after a cycling accident and had a therapeutic arthroscopy on that left knee in 2002 so maybe that’s the reason. The knee did move around a lot before surgery but I’d assumed the TKR would sort it out. Sadly not. Although it gives me some pain from time to time, as in going up and down stairs, it’s nothing like it was before. It does feel odd at times and, although it’s never given way, the slight movement going up and down stairs doesn’t convince me it might not.
 
Back
Top Bottom