Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lindylee's RTKR 20 January 2020

@Zommom Thanks Zommom. Boy, am I glad we only have 2 knees! You sound to be doing great in light of everything else that you have going on in your life.

:cheers: here's to us partying with our 2 new knees in the not too distant future! :dancy::spin::egypdance:
 
Hi Lindylee, just popped in to see if there was anybody still on from Feb this year when I got my second knee done, and here you are:flwrysmile: I’m back on the site as I’m getting right hip done in January and want to pick up some info beforehand. Think you’ve made the correct decision in going for second knee. I don’t regret it for a moment however it wasn’t the breeze I expected it to be. I had blocked my mind as to how uncomfortable the recovery was and therefore thought I was suffering more second time around. It took a lot of reassurance during those first few weeks from hubby and friends that I had experienced the same levels of discomfort first time around. After I accepted that I made a very quick recovery. I’ve got the usual aches that are to be expected 7months in but I can walk for couple of miles, go up and downstairs with no problem , that is if the hip is in a good mood and generally forget I’ve had it done! I’m sure you wont have any regrets in getting second one done
 
@Lilli215 Great to hear that you're doing well knee wise. It's good to catch up with those I remember from first time round. Thanks for the encouragement. I hope your hip surgery goes as well as your knees. I'll look out for you in January :wave:
 
Hi Lindylee I thought I would pop in and see what you are up to? Has that second knee been scheduled yet! Thinking kind thoughts about you. I'm doing pretty good - Still have some pain in my right knee but getting better (keeps moving around) I'm so happy that I did this I am even planning a Mexican Resort vacation in January!
 
@Zommom Hi knee buddy! Yes, it's all booked for January 20th, almost a year to the day! The first knee is doing really well now. I can do my Keep Fit (makes me laugh as I think it should be called 'attempting to get fit', dancing and Pilates with no trouble, although it does sometime feel a little strange the next day, but soon wears off. The IT band is still a little bit of an issue, but the surgeon reckons it will take 18 months to settle so a bit more patience required there.

The back's still more of an issue and stops me walking too far, but I'm hoping that will resolve after the other knee is done.

I'm so glad you're doing well, that's brilliant news. Have a wonderful vacation. Mexico sounds wonderful and a nice break midwinter. I'll think of you in the sunshine from my hospital bed! :wave:
 
Last edited:
4 days until my RTKR and the nerves have kicked in! The left is almost a year and has a few niggles still, which the surgeon tells me should resolve in the next 6 months, but what if they don't and what if they're both like it or the right is worse ? On the whole it's fine in that I can do my Keep Fit, Pilates and Dancing without problem, but walking can still feel a bit odd, although other days it's fine apart from the backache that has been with me since the first TKR.

Typically the right knee has behaved for the past week and the left has been more achey than usual, but maybe it's the damp weather or my imagination!

I realise I'm rambling on and thinking aloud, sorry for that. Everyone tells me it will be fine and, hopefully it will be, but they haven't had knee replacements and no-one understands like those who have been through it, so thanks for providing somewhere for me to offload.
 
My knee made a lot of progress in my second year, and still some more now in my third. I hope yours will as well.
 
Stick with us, share your highs and your lows, and help the rest of us with your experience too.

I thought I was going to lose my mind that last week before surgery! But time does pass and you’ll be tending your new right knee soon!
 
I have to agree, the week before any surgery is very tense and distracting...and I was trying to work, did a sleep study, had our daughter & 7 year-old grandson visit and a few other things that just threw me way off. My daughter was asking me something about the weekend they visited (2 days before surgery) and I honestly couldn't remember....I was very edgy about the surgery and had forgotten that she brought an old classmate with her for 3 days. Now that is scary....

It won't be long for you now, hang in there and try to distract yourself with something really important to you! :hi:
 
Just a quick visit to say I'm home. Could someone change my post title to Lindylee's RTKR 20 January 2020?

Will fill you in later.
 
Welcome home! We’ll change your title for you. Best wishes for this newest recovery! :console2:

Here’s a refresher for you:

Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​


4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website
​

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Thank you!
So far all good. I cannot believe how this one feels compared to the last. There's no comparison painwise. The left was excruciating at times, but this is so much more bearable. The year old one seems to be behaving too. :)

I can't take strong painkillers, opiates just make me sick. They tried Oxycodone this time, not sure whether it was that, but kept passing out, heart rate plummeted to 35 and terrible nausea, far worse than the pain. Bed rest, IV fluids and anti emetics sorted me out and paracetemol/Tylenol is keeping on top of the pain.

Extension at 5 and Flexion at 90 on discharge today. I hope any other newbies are doing well and don't despair if you're not. It will get better.
 
but kept passing out, heart rate plummeted to 35 and terrible nausea, far worse than the pain. Bed rest, IV fluids and anti emetics sorted me out and paracetemol/Tylenol is keeping on top of the pain.
I’m glad they got this fixed for you and everything else is going well.
 
I've seen many posts on here about how no 2 knees are alike in recovery, but I'm amazed at the difference between mine.

Hardly any pain this time, almost feel I could do away with painkillers, but bruising and swelling far more than last. I had no bruising last year, whereas my whole leg is a rainbow this time. A year ago I hardly moved from the sofa and bed apart from short walks around the house that first week home. :sleeep:

This year I seem to have more energy and inclination to be up and doing little things. I've just read through last year's posts and was surprised how long it took before I could do certain things. Boredom is setting in already so I need to be careful I don't overdo it! :bored::treadmill::bicycle1:

The one thing that is the same is the sleeping, or not, as the case might be.
 
Good news that this recovery seems better than the last instead of the other way around! Here’s to finding that sweet spot between boredom and overdoing it!
 
@Helizabug Yes, I'm glad it's this way round too! I think I would be more concerned if it had been the other way. Ignorance was bliss last time. Well, it wasn't bliss, but you know what I mean
 
Really encouraging that it is going so well. I am a week and a half along and today my mother in law, former OR nurse who had one TKR called. She regrets not having the other done and is pushing me to get #2 ASAP. I will wait til ready but happy to hear a story like yours.
 
@loneshark64 You'll know when the time is right. It was suggested originally that I have mine done 4 months apart, but I wasn't ready to tackle it and while I was doing less the right knee coped. My back was the biggest problem though. I put it down to having one straight and one crooked leg!

It was as my activity levels increased and I could see how much stronger the left was over the right that I decided to go for it. January surgery worked well last year, especially weather wise as it's our winter, so decided to go for it again.

Having a year between meant that I had a good 6 months to enjoy myself before embarking on the next, but others prefer to get it over and done with. It's a personal choice. Good luck with your recovery.
 
Had a fun 5 hours in A & E yesterday evening. I'd woken with a pain in my calf that didn't improve and, although I thought it unlikely it was a DVT as my blood is usually so thin I'm asked if I'm on warfarin, thought I'd better get it checked. Saw GP who thought it warranted further investigation so off we went. They were very good, had bloods, x-rays, orthopaedic doctor examined it, given injection etc. and have to phone this morning to book a scan and collect a prescription for more anticoagulent injections until they know for sure.

Last year I kept a diary of my recovery, various aches and pains etc, as I'm hopeless at remembering pain, when, where, duration, severeness and what type etc. It's been interesting comparing notes. I hadn't recorded any calf pain last year, but the dull ache behind the knee, tenderness and ache where the wound catheter was both started on Day 7 post op, the same this time round.
 
Back
Top Bottom