Guest viewing is limited

TKR 2nd knee replacement updates

I sometimes still get twinges in the R knee, 11 months on. All normal healing processes as the body heals. Have a lovely trip away and I’m sure it’ll settle in time.
 
Sometimes I'd get a zinger that would actually make my leg jump. Now, that hurt! Not only that zinger, but the painful movement of my knee.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Ann!
Has the discomfort, stiffness and pain around your patella improved over the past month? Hopefully the road trip went well, you enjoyed your time away and you've adjusted to your time back at work.
Please let us know how you're doing when you have the time. Wishing you a pleasant weekend! :)
@Annk
 
Thank God those zingers are quick and soon to get less intense. Before you know it, they'll be gone!
 
Good day
I hate to say but still having pain and stiffness. The pain is on both sides of the knees (both) and it is muscle pain. I also get some nerve pain too. I hate to say this but I am still very disappointed with both surgeries. I saw my surgeon a few weeks ago and he looked at the X-ray and said everything looked perfect. He said the pain is likely IT band associated and to work with a physical therapist to resolve that. Unfortunately my physiotherapist signed off and said to just continue exercises at home which I am. I am still icing and elevating which helps temporarily. I guess I will just have to keep working on it and hopefully things improve. Still taking OTC pain meds and massaging the muscles around the knee. Using tens too.
 
Hi Ann,
Thank you for stopping by with an update. I'm sorry you're still struggling and unhappy with the result of your surgeries. Please give yourself grace and allow more time for healing since you're only five months into what's normally a full year of recovery. Even longer for some. I know it has to be frustrating to still have pain, especially when you're doing everything you can - icing / elevating, using your TENS, massaging, taking your meds and keeping up with your exercises at home. The fact that your X-ray looks good is encouraging. I hope the coming weeks bring more relief with fewer painful days. Keep taking it a day at a time and celebrate each victory, no matter how small.
Wishing you more comfortable days ahead. :console2: Please keep us posted...we care.
@Annk
 
Unfortunately, what you are feeling at less than halfway through a yearlong+ healing is perfectly normal. I know it's frustrating when you aren't pain-free yet, but very few patients would be. Try not to worry about it, your knee will recover on its own timeframe and you'll be happy with that new, arthritis-free joint!
 
Unfortunately my physiotherapist signed off and said to just continue exercises at home which I am.

What exercises are you doing, how many reps and how often?
What is your general activity level on a normal day?

Sometimes we can overwork the exercises, which will have the opposite result than what we want.
 
Have you tried massage therapy, @Annk? I found a therapist who did deep tissue massage and myofascial release. It took a few sessions before I noticed improvement, but it made a big difference. I still go once a month or so.
 
Hi Anna,
I hope with the passage of a little time you're experiencing more relief. Not sure which exercises you're doing at home, but possibly switching it up may help.
Unfortunately my physiotherapist signed off and said to just continue exercises at home which I am.
If you're unable to return to PT, and you haven't done so already, consider researching some gentle stretches and exercises online that fit the description of your OS's diagnosis since you're not getting much relief out of what you're doing currently. Hopefully the pain is slowly easing and will continue to over the coming months since you're only five months into a recovery that commonly lasts a full year and even longer for some. I wish you comfort and permanent relief.
Happy Five Month Anniversary! I wish you were feeling better. :console2:
@Annk
 
@Annk …. You might check with your GP about your IT band issues and see if additional therapy can be ordered. Or try your surgeon again. If you can get an order for some targeted therapy, go to a different therapy clinic. Sometimes it’s difficult to resolve IT band problems on your own.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom