Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lindylee's RTKR 20 January 2020

You were wise to get your calf pain checked out.
I hope the scan shows it isn't a DVT. Do let us know, won't you?
 
You did the right thing getting this checked out. I pray it's OK.
 
O my gosh I am so happy I checked in with you! It sounds like you are doing fantastic for what it is - a hard surgery and recovery. You will be dancing, pilates etc before you know it.
Mexico was great. I noticed my knees felt better in the warm Caribbean sun, as soon as I got home the right started to ache again. Could be the 18 degree weather we had. Hang in there my knee buddy!
 
I'm glad to hear the scan was clear and you don't have a DVT. It's always wise to check.
 
2 weeks today and staples coming out later. Although I don't have the excruciating pain associated with the first knee, everything else is pretty similar even down to the timing of symptoms.

I kept a diary last time as I'm not good at remembering how long I've had something or what sort of pain it was and it was this weekend 2 years ago that the very, very uncomfortable stage hit. My leg aches from buttock to sole of the foot with that horrible nagging pain behind the knee. My ankle and foot feel numb, even though they're not. It's hardly surprising though when I think how many years my leg had been crooked and extension nowhere near 0.

Having said that, it doesn't help the sleep knowing the soft tissues at the back of the knee are all trying to stretch out. I keep telling myself 'Patience! You know what's coming, you can do it, you did it before'. Shouldn't it be easier this time round? At 2 weeks it still feels there's a long way to go and I can't wait to get past this first month or so!

Hope everyone else is doing ok.
 
I could scream :yikes: It's been going so well compared to last year and then ..........

I was washing my foot, lifted it to do the sole and then bent forward causing the knee to bend further than it wanted to go. A strange noise (it was so quick I can't really describe it) and a sharp, stabbing pain through the kneecap. It felt sore and I reverted to 2 sticks to take some of the pressure off whilst walking.

Next stop was doctors for staples to be removed, got in car ok, but when I went to get out it was agony back and front of knee as I lifted the bent knee and difficult to bend and straighten knee. It's worsened through the afternoon despite icing it. I can't put any pressure on it to get up from sitting and when I am sitting it's painful to rotate or move my (right) foot to the left. Once upright and walking with 2 sticks it doesn't feel too bad.

It reminds me how the left was last year when I first came out of hospital. Any ideas?
 
It sounds like you did a MWOA, manipulation without anesthetic! You will need to baby that knee for the next few days. Lots of ice, elevating and resting.
 
What did they say at your appointment about this new issue? Hopefully it will pass quickly. :console2:
 
I mentioned to the nurse what I had done, but it didn't feel too bad at that time and I got up from the chair without too much trouble and got in and out of the car going home without too much bother. It's worsened through the afternoon.

It's so annoying because trying to do a heel slide now is a definite NO, whereas they were easy before, same with getting up from sitting to standing. One careless moment is all it takes. I'm so cross with myself.

I'll rest it over the next few days and see what physio say at my first assessment on Thursday.
 
I’m here to stick up for you! I wish you wouldn’t be cross with yourself. Give yourself time to recover from the the strain . . . and then find someone else to blame — tee hee!

I hope the pain eases.
 
@Helizabug Thanks. It feels a little easier today, can't bend it as far as I could before, but at least I'm not in agony anymore.

Good luck with your MUA today. I don't recommend it without anaesthetic!
 
I had my first physio assessment today & explained what happened to my knee on Monday. He examined it and said it looked good and he wasn't worried about the heel slides as he could see that my Flexion was at 100 sitting on the edge of the bed with my leg hanging free. That was a nice surprise, as I was sure it was less than the 90 I left hospital with.

He encouraged me to do more work on extension by doing fewer exercises more frequently, but not anything that caused pain. For one awful moment I thought he was going to press down on my knee and told him I didn't want him to, but he promised he wouldn't and all he did was apply the gentlest pressure either side of the knee, which was fine. I go back in 2 weeks for my next assessment, at which point he hopes to refer me to the hip and knee post surgery class.
 
Well, that sounds like a good PT visit! Yay!

BTW, Ihave a fair bit of pain, post-MUA, so I’m even more grateful for the ‘A’ part of it. Makes me sympathize even more with your unanesthesized procedure! It’s getting better, but YOW! It feels like awicked bad sprain, which I think is what it is, fundamentally.

Have a good day today!
 
@Helizabug Thank you. I hope your pain diminishes over the next few days. My knee seems to be improving daily, thank goodness! Considering how bad it was Monday evening I'm amazed how quickly it's recovered. :happydance:
 
A quick update. I, still, can't quite believe how different this recovery is to last year's. I can go up and down stairs normally. It was 2 months before I could attempt coming down last time and even now there is still a slight twinge in that knee (that wretched IT band) whereas this one is just a mild discomfort.

Walking is easier now I have 2 even legs. My husband has been amazed how quickly I'm walking compared to before the surgery. I'm only doing 10 minutes round the block with one stick, but it feels good. Before I had the second knee done I felt as if I had to concentrate to keep in a straight line, as if the crooked leg was pulling me to the right all the time.

I have more energy this time, probably because I'm not in so much pain and the exercises are so much easier. The extension seems to be improving as does the flexion even though the knee is still quite swollen. No idea on numbers, but not really bothered as it feels fine.

Sleep can still be a bit hit and miss and still wake every 2 or 3 hours feeling uncomfortable, but most nights I can get back off again. All in all I'm a very happy bunny. I know some of you are really struggling and I hope those days will soon pass. Hang on in there, it will get better.
 
That is a wonderful update! Amazing that you can do stairs this soon!
 
Glad to hear that things are going well for you. Every day things seem to become slightly easier.
I am still finding night time difficult due to frequent trips to the bathròom. Although my knee becomes stiff during the night I would not say that it is particularly painful. It is good that you are starting to think about going out.I have a friend who has offered to take me out for lunch but at the moment I find it difficult to sit on s chair for a long period of time. Maybe when my staples are removed I will be better.
 
Such good news! Is there a happy bunny emoji in the house?
 
Thanks ladies. There are plenty of pet emojis,but no bunnies!

@aries I find it difficult sitting with my leg down for any length of time unless I keep moving it around. Sometimes I use the other foot to lift it off the floor, but it only helps a shirt while.

One thing I do get this time, that I didn't have last time, is a strange sensation halfway down my shin when I'm out walking. I'm not worried about, but just curious. I like to know what's going on inside!
 
Back
Top Bottom