THR Layla's Recovery

Somebody on here was mentioning that they were kind of jiggling their incisions to loosen up any adhesions, I am going to ask my surgeon about that I have kind of started doing it on my own, pulled all the tape off of them today but they do kind of give me the willies but they're very clean and healed

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@dougie0216
I'm definitely going to try the Palmer's Cocoa Butter, thanks for the tip.
TWO DAYS OFF......the energy is building......I'm afraid what tomorrow may bring!
Enjoy your evening and a great weekend to you!

My incisionss bumpy and weird are just starting to smooth out.... Think they have to absorb , recede, whatever. They got weird, but around week 8 or so they smoothed out.
I use coconut oil... Used to use Palmer's which is great but the coconut oil is an oil... Silky and greasy as it is at first, absorbs quickly. I used it for face and doesn't break out or get oily.
Many say it has healing properties.
Anyway, I like like.
I get coconut oil capsules for supplements... Poke a pin in it and use it for moisturizer and put on my scars.
Makes hair shiny, good for digestion
Anyway, surprising good for alot and smells like summer

Last edited by a moderator:
@Cisne I'm already planning tomorrows session.

@Mojo333 We have coconut oil as well, but it doesn't have the vitamin E in it. The Palmers is more user friendly for someone who isnt used to using an abundance of creams/lotions/oils. Ok, I use hand lotion and sunscreen, but that is the sum total of my experience.

Feeling irritated this morning and I don't like it. Anyone else get annoyed in using props for your recommended exercises? I don't want to use rolled up towels, balls and try to maneveur elastic bands around my legs. Just give me some good old glute sets, heel slides, quad tightening and I'm happy.
Feel better......got that out!

PT told me to put 2 fingers, one on either side of the incision and jiggle. Go down the incision that way and then back up. Just do this for a total of a minute or 2 once or twice a day. It's supposed to get blood flowing and prevent adhesions @gaulsuerou this was at 4 weeks out I was told to this.

@Layla my exercises don't include props, guess every physio is different. We will see what Mondays appointment brings though. I'm working on standing on my operated leg and walking straight and tall, I want to get rid of the walker ASAP.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I'm just having a bad old day for some reason.....feels like post op blues, not sure.
Kind of down, teary eyed....the weather here is gloomy, hot, humid, chance of storms, not nice!
I feel like my back is going out, happens on ocassion but not very often. Don't want to deal with that now.

I knew I was off today when a pic of @gaulsuerou imperfect pedicure made me tear up. I thought " bless her Lord, just bless her" something so innocently child like and touching about witnessing her determination, along with her progress. Made me emotional. Gotta laugh as she'd never intend her pedi would make someone cry.

Wah! Wah! See what I mean? Feeling a little cuckoo.....need a good laugh.

You are no cuckoo so you can stop that right now @Layla I'm glad you can laugh at yourself though at the time it's not funny to you. This is all part of this recovery so let the feelings come and cry if you need to. And vent on here always, we all can relate and understand. I hope your back improves, do you have any heat to put on like a magic bag you put in the microwave? I wish you well. Cheryl

It is certainly very normal...I had several days like that about 2-3 weeks out. It is a traumatic experience we've experienced, and after major surgery and anesthesia...is to be expected.
I cried when I had to ask my partner for a water bottle lid that had rolled under a tv stand I couldnt reach when I was home a few hours alone.
He was like 'its no big deal'
I said its no big deal unless you have to get someone to get it for you... it was a major crises for the day.
Looking back, it was silly... and I had drank all the water anyway and didnt even need the stupid lid.
Hope today goes well, things will be looking up very soon.

I'm sorry you are having a down day, @Layla but Mojo is right - it seems to be part of the recovery and we've all been there, done that. Maybe you are just feeling sad that you aren't wandering around the mall :heehee: because if I remember correctly, you couldn't wait to get cleared to drive so you could go shopping and walk around the store without leaning on a shopping cart!!! The gloomy weather doesn't help either. Hopefully you can find something to pass the day - maybe call an old friend - and I'm sure tomorrow the sun will be out! And yes, this is the place to vent those feelings as everyone understands. I just wish I had a magic answer!

Hello @cpollock, @GrannyC, @Mojo333
My back is feeling a bit better, I took some Advil. I slept on a recliner for the first 3 weeks post surgery because the frame on our bed kind of sticks out and I couldn't back up close enough to the bed. I was also afraid of rolling over onto my incision. When I finally slept in my bed for the first time, two nights ago, then again last night, I feel like I screwed up my back somehow. Possibly just the switch? I don't know.

I was down and moody this a.m. Smarting off out loud to comments on tv I didn't like! Home alone, didn't care. Getting emotional over someone's pedicure @gaulsuerou!! Wishing I could do one myself, not there yet though. Don't know how the heck she did that, I need to ask how she positioned herself!
Last night in bed I was doing heel slides and went too far and felt it in my incision. It scared me but it's ok.
Feeling frustrated that I can't just move about more freely, or easily accomplish what I want to do. Second guessing if I should do this, or that, try this, try that. Cleared to drive but afraid to get in my vehicle. Stuff like that is frustrating me. I canceled my second PT for today, wasn't in the mood! I mentioned earlier I don't like using props for PT. Rolled up towels, balls, elastic bands. See......I'm just irritable today!

Thanks for your support. This site is great. I think the weather is getting to me also. Heat and humidity with the AC continually running. Fall is my favorite time of year. The temps, the colors, can't wait! I'm super excited because I'm hoping I'll feel stronger, more energized and back into the swing of things by then.
A great weekend to you all......and a hug too!

Hi @Layla
So glad you are feeling better, did not mean to make you cry. I have my moments to I had four or five days last week or I had zero improvement it made me mad and sad and grumpy. I believe it happens to us all.

Thank you @cpollock for that scar exercise, I will try it, I bought some vitamin E oil to kind of rub in and around the incisions on the advice of my surgeon. Got to loosen up any adhesions that might be forming. What little jiggling I have done so far feels like it's working! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Layla My back felt like it was about to go out for 3-4/weeks after surgery. It didn't matter what I did. I stretched, did crunches, did yoga... It finally cleared up on its own. I think being able to sleep on my left side helped.

I see you noticed one of my implants was an orange and the other, an apple. My surgeon designs his own and is always tweaking the implants or his procedure. So, one is the current model the OS is using. He says that it improves initial stability.

I watched the whole video, just not in one sitting. When they used the router to efface the pelvis, I said oh noooooo, and turned it off. I resumed watching later.

Have you gone outside and smelled the roses lately?

Hi @dougie0216
Nice to hear from you. Yeah, the router action really got to me as it would go in and out dragging debris, to put it mildly.

You're intuitive. No, I'm not getting out to smell the roses enough and I think that's a big part of the problem.
I need to work on that this weekend.

Wishing you a good one!

Layla, as for the "props" for PT, I have to admit I never did very much PT. I did go a few times but didn't do any of the exercises at home. I kept reading on BS where they said you don't need it and when I saw my OS, he said I'd didn't need it either so I stopped going. I should walk more than I do but I'm on my feel many hours each day so I just haven't done it. I do once in a while get on my stationary bike but with no tension and that is it and I feel like I'm doing fine. I'm getting range of motion back and can almost get my ankle up to my knee! That was one of the things I wanted to be able to do again. The range of motion just seems to come with the healing. I'm not sure if it is because I'd didn't do much PT but I didn't have the swelling and soreness that many people seem to have. My swelling was pretty much gone by week 2 I think.

I'm glad you liked the idea for the grandkids. My 2 oldest grands are too old for that now but the younger ones still get mail from me. I don't write much as kids don't want to read a long letter but I put in a few stickers (never the whole pkg - just one sheet or part of a sheet, and then something I print off the computer or a kids puzzle I cut out of the newspaper. They love it! Mind all live farther away so I don't see them much unfortunately.

@Layla, you are correct, an intuitive, feeling-perceiver.

I literally went stir crazy recovering from LTHR. I had it done in the winter, one of the snowiest and icy winters in 10-years. They told me not to go outside if there was any ice on the sidewalks. I was inside for days at a time. I went back to work too early, literally so I could get out of the house.

My staff has no idea what NFP means, they aren't educators. They just think I read minds. I cant, but I am pretty fair at reading people.

So go forth and smell the roses.

I certainly understand your frustration.when I get that way I concentrate on how I was before.some times bedridden in pain knowing it was only getting worse. Keep ur eye on the prize.it takes time but it's improving.
Bill

Thanks @GrannyC I'm not too hip on the PT myself. It's 30 mins away, which isn't far, but it's 30 mins there, 30 mins of PT, then 30 mins back home. I am going to tell the PT on Monday that I need exercises without props, they must have enough in their arsenal to oblige me.

I'm going to start walking outside more each day. My husband and I went to a local park reserve this morning and took a short walk. Since it's close by I'd like to go again this evening. It's just been so darned hot and humid here, like pretty much everywhere in the country. It's not my cup of tea so I've been stuck in the AC a lot more than I care to be. This is going to change. I really realized it when @dougie0216 asked me yesterday if I've been out to smell the roses lately. I was getting in a funk, as you know, and I think that's a big part of the reason why. Too much time indoors.....alone!

It was nice to hear from you @Gone again after what seemed like a couple days of silence. You're right in keeping the eye on the prize and also in @dougie0216 being an inspiration. I'm way behind him but he has 26 days on me so I have time to pass him up......INSERT A BIG, LOUD LAUGH HERE!!!!!
A great weekend to you all!

@Layla time does pass slowly when our mobility is limited. Keeping busy helps and I've learned when cabin fever hits we need to get out, even a short time. I wish you well. Cheryl

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom