THR Layla's Recovery

I am about a month ahead of you-LHR on 5/30/17. Today I am paying the price for walking too far yesterday. Stiff and sore left leg. My husband and I ventured out for what used to be a routine walk down to the beach from our house. I got really tired on the way back (uphill) and had to lay down and ice when we got home. When I checked our distance on Google maps it was 4.4 miles! Yikes, I had only been walking about 2.5 miles on the treadmill. Today is going to be a day of rest and recovery
 
@cpollack....Hi Cheryl,
I've heard the "heel-toe" thing on here many times but never really tried it. After reading your post today I'm trying to be more conscience of it and using some self talk. By golly, it seems to work! It's amazing.....I should have paid attention to that great little piece of advice weeks ago.
Thanks, enjoy your day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Heal toe is pretty much what I'm doing,and stand straight and pull my butt in. Pretty much everything that doesn't feel natural,but no pain
 
You're so right! @Gone again. Standing taller now too.
Man, I developed some bad habits in my pain......can just imagine what a slouch I looked like, haha.
We're just like lil babies learning how to walk all over again.....BUT WITHOUT THE PAIN.
A great evening to you!
 
Hi @SoCalMom
Yikes......I'll bet you are sore. While 2.5 sounds nice, adequate for two months out, 4.4 does seem like a lot.
Hope you recover quickly and are back to normal to start the week!
 
It was 106F/41C on my back porch yesterday. I'm ready for fall.

I catch myself limping all-the time. It is an old habit, I did it for so long. If not from one hip, then it was the other. I can walk without one, but I still have to think about it.
 
Old habits die hard I guess.

In my OA journey, I developed external rotation, operative leg kind of turning outward a bit, foot also as I stood in place. OS said that would be corrected with surgery. I also noticed before, and now after surgery, that when I stand with my legs and feet together, ( was a hard feat pre surgery, just couldn't get legs together) anyway, when I stand like that I notice from the side view that my knee bows out a bit on the surgery leg.
It did that pre surgery also. I was rather disappointed to notice that as I thought it was something he could correct. I guess I'm just hoping it's some weak muscles that need to strengthen......I'm going to ask PT her thoughts on it today.

Hope you have a great week @dougie0216. You're doing phenomenally well! Just don't hurt yourself. Lifting the leg over the bike made me cringe......but I'm behind you waaaaaaay behind you, haha!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Layla I also had and still have external rotation of my operated leg. It was really bad presurgery and not improved after surgery. I discussed with Josephine and you can look on my thread to read. Anyways, PT said this will straighten out with time and exercising to strengthen the leg. Also to be very conscious when walking to go heal toe. I'm 5 weeks now and it's improved a fair bit. I have a ways to go but I will keep working on it. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks Cheryl @cpollock that's consoling to hear. I think I may have mumbled a curse word under my breath directed toward my OS when I noticed this. I've always felt my surgical leg was a smidge longer, pre surgery even and figured that's why my knee bowed out a bit when viewing from the side. I've been told they're (my legs) the same length over and over again, chiropractor, old PT I saw, OS. Kind of frustrating.
Thanks for your input, always appreciated.
A great week to you and continued healing!
 
For some reason this morning I remembered when you mentioned feeling a bit down and I was telling you that maybe you needed a trip to the mall. Well, I'm quite certain I had you mixed up with Lola as it might have been her that said she couldn't wait to get out and go shopping. I have a hard time sometimes keeping everyone straight. You probably wondered what I was thinking when I said that and now you know.

You sound like you are progressing well and I'm sure you will soon be able to ditch the cane. I found my leg got a bit tired on longer walks at first so sometimes I would carry my cane along just in case I needed it. Sometimes I did and other times I didn't. I just didn't want to limp again.
 
Hi @GrannyC
No, you didn't get it wrong at all! I did go through a irritable, little depressive slump last week and was encouraged right out of it by many here. I did mention I missed shopping, in a leisurely way, without needing to circle the lot in favor of a closer parking space, putting all my weight on the cart as I shopped for only what I needed, not allowing myself to get side tracked so I could get back in my car / home quicker!

Your memory is spot on @GrannyC along with your always wise and common sense advice.
Hope you have a wonderful day.....
 
Yahoo! Hooray! Yippy Skippy! Happy Dance!

I did a pedicure! I know it sounds shallow but it's been a goal. Couldn't pull it off till today. I was frustrated last week so I did the only foot I could. Well....I tried again today, pushed myself and clipped, filed and polished so I now have 10 matching toes......just like you @gaulsuerou you PHENOM, took me a week longer than you, a bilateral. Doesn't seem right but I'll take it!
 
I can't imagine doing my own toes... but since I cancelled my pedi appt... thanks to the good sense of my friends here, I am going to have to see what I can do to at least touch up my toe polish. I'm inspired @Layla and @gaulsuerou
 
Hi @313Lola
I know you are wanting a fresh pedi too.....what worked for me was sitting at my kitchen table and putting my foot on one of those collapsible step stools. It was still kind of difficult so I took breaks. I was determined, ha!
I first tried sitting on my sofa, leg extended onto coffee table, didn't work.
It's all relative to current flexibility, arm and leg length.......just suggestions.
I'm icing right now just as a precaution, probably stretched some sleepy muscles......oh...the price of vanity!
Wishing you a great weekend!
 
Ah yes @Layla my bucket list has 3 things do pedicure next to Layla , Tie my shoes and shave my legs all on my own. No bowel issues allowed of course
 
@Layla How are you doing today? How did the pedicure work out? I had one, once. I laughed so hard my tummy was sore for two days. I'm good, thank you.
 
@MyAussieGirl
No bowel issues allowed.....you crack me up!

I resorted to an electric razor, just feels easier right now. I'm sure you've read some women
tape a disposable razor to a ruler, apparently that works.

I quit wearing shoes with ties as my hip got worse, couldn't do it.
Pretty much became all slip on shoes for me.
 
Hi @dougie0216
The pedicure made my day! Silly little accomplishment but something I used to do so
effortlessly before it became painful. It took some effort and a few breaks but flexililty
is returning... Yay!

More importantly... I'm assuming you and your wife safely arrived in Texas.
I'm sure your son will appreciate your support. It would be great to hear your daughter in law
Is improving. I'll remember her in prayer this evening.
Hopefully this situation resolves itself soon with a favorable outcome.
Keep us posted when / if you have time.
A peaceful night to you.
 
Thank you for the kind words @Layla you wrote on @MyAussieGirl thread yesterday. That was very nice but I feel like everyone in here is always there and ready to help each other with support, ideas and even prayers. I find it hard to convince someone else of how great BS really is. I think you have to experience it to understand. Anyhow I appreciate your comments.

I had to smile when I read about your pedicure because I can so relate. Isn't it great to be able to already move better than we could before surgery? When I went for my 2 mos check, I told OS how great I felt and he told me it would just keep getting better and better. That was so good to hear.

I don't post as much as I used to as I have been very busy with my sewing but I read the threads of all my BS buddies to make sure they are progressing well. It sounds like you are doing great! I think we are lucky to be recovering this time of year rather than in the middle of the winter when we wouldn't be able to get out.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom