THR Layla's Recovery

Thanks @GrannyC for sharing that! You know I do believe I read somewhere on here previously that you mentioned a pickup truck and figured it must be possible to do this!
It's been a concern. While I mastered getting in my vehicle pre-surgery I couldn't figure how it would feel post surgery.
I am anxious to drive. Boredom has set in and it can get you down now and again. Pre surgery any trips to the grocery store or a Target type store were "in and out"! Looked for closest parking spot in the lot, leaning heavily on the cart while shopping, got only what I needed......OUT! I daydream about shopping leisurely one day soon. Crazy the things we take for granted!

I hope all is progressing well with you. You're 2 months ahead of me. Funny how you want time to pass in the days and weeks post surgery (NOW!) I'll bet you feel like a new woman and thankful you are rid of that nasty arthritic pain. A great day and rest of the week to you!
 
@Layla I guess I was among the lucky ones as I really never did get bored. I had more projects lined up than I had recovery time as it turned out. I had several books to read, some hand sewing to do, note cards to write to my little grandkids, and I had been going to a knitting group and learning to knit so I thought I could practice that as well. I had a hard time concentrating on the books for maybe the first 10 days or so. At the end of the first week I was back at my sewing machine for short amounts of time at first and gradually that extended. I really never watched much tv. I will admit I did spend a LOT of time on BoneSmart, especially those first two weeks. It was such a help in my recovery and I'm sure you're finding the same thing.

And yes, it is nice to go shopping without the pain now. I'm not a big shopper but just going grocery shopping is so much easier, that's for sure!!
 
Hi @Layla, I hope you did manage to get out and get some sunshine, I have been staying pretty close to the couch today… Overdid it yesterday. It's so funny to think back on how limited we were before the surgery, I am looking forward to driving again too but I had completely learn to hate shopping, I get it, driving around the parking slot for a close spot, picking up only what you need, barely waddling through the store ! Onwards and upwards, I'm kind of stuck in a holding pattern right now but I'm only six days out, tomorrow will make seven yay some sort of a milestone I am sure. Sending healing vibes your way!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My sister had big awkward rockers on her porch where I stayed for the first weeks of my recovery.
I did exactly as GrannyC suggested. Good steady straight kitchen chair and put a bed pillow on it sorted bent so half in back, half on behind. Worked good - easier to get out of as hers have arm rails.
 
Hi,
Have to laugh, it feels like Happy Hour on here once in awhile! Happy Hour for Hippies or Hiperatti Happy Hour!
You know....when you see a lot of the peeps you follow all on at the same time....

You're recovery has been phenomenal to date, you've amazed me! It is easy to overdo though if your feeling good and pain feels minimal. I had a day like that last Saturday and paid on Sunday. In trying to ditch the walker, I overdid with the cane. I'm feel I'm back on track though the past couple days.
You've been pretty ambitious, wonder if you just need to take a few days and chill? You and @dougie0216 have been the rock stars of recovery in my short time on here. Just don't want to see either of you hurt yourselves!
Do you limp a bit? Do we all at first? Rarely I don't, most often do. I guess I'm just assuming it's part of the healing process.

A restful evening to you!
 
Just mentioned on my thread I limp some when I get tired with one of my legs. Apparently before surgery, I walked so badly and limped and leaned forward as toe-walked...I didn't know it was as bad as it was - and people close to me didn't comment so much on it, that it had only been since recovery folks say' look a at you, all straight, waking without a limp, etc.'
My PT said I tended to toe walk, habit from before... Not result of surgery. Also defensive move to keep pressure off of hips??
Yes, but for people still recovering from major surgery... Our happy hour is mostly happy.
Here's hoping all get at least some rest tonight.:sleeep:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing about your limping, @Mojo333
I know we aren't to compare recoveries but having limped for so long pre-surgery it's a disappointment to feel I'm doing it afterward. Wondering is it habit or just a result of surgery and healing? I feel it lessen if I stand very tall as I walk and try to concentrate on that. As many others I do feel the one leg longer than the other sensation. I've ditched my walker except for middle of the night bathroom trips because I've been sleeping, lying down. I like the security of it then. During the day I use the cane and do practice and can walk around without it.....but limping! Wondering if @cpollock, @Gone again, @313Lola @dougie0216, @Donnarita @gaulsuerou could weigh in as we're all close in recovery OR anyone else reading who has some insight. I guess I should be directing this at the expert @Josephine
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I too limped very badly pre op and have to make a conscious effort not to fall back into the habit now. My hubby smiles as I get to my feet without using chair arms then apparently I say, "stand tall, butt in, belly in and remember heel to toe" He says it reminds him of our early days learning to dance when all he could hear was "1-2-3 and 1-2-3 " we never did learn to dance well, hoping for more success with the walking. Op leg did feel longer at first although I don't know if it was my imagination but it's all fine now.

I'm 8 weeks today, ditched the crutch indoors but take it when walking the dog. Can easily walk 1 and a half miles or 2 miles if we stop for lunch or coffee half way. Last weekend walked 3 miles over the course of the day/ evening, some on sand and pine forest. Definitely think the happy hour alcohol with lunch helped. So good to have an ice cold beer on a hot day without thinking about medication.

Elaine
 
@Tedsmum
Hi Elaine,
Nice to meet you! I'm trying to remember to stand tall, tuck in rear, all of that too. I've yet to have any PT other than the exercise sheet they sent me home with at discharge. My first post op Doctor appt is coming up next Tuesday, the day I'll be 3 weeks into recovery. I have my first outpatient PT the same day so I'm sure they'll have an opinion.

Sounds as though you are doing well in your recovery. Happy Hour and dinner sounds fun. I like a glass of wine with dinner on occasion but obviously haven't been interested even though I've been off the Oxy since day 4.
I'm sure the desire will hit one of these days.
Continued healing and a great weekend to you!
 
@Layla I limped for probably 3 years before my surgery and used a cane constantly the last year. I hit the severe stage then had to wait from September til June for surgery. It was during the last year that I noticed my leg bowing out to the left, it was my left hip that was replaced. It is still bowed and physio thinks it will straighten once I regain strength and yo concentrate on heal toe and keeping my left leg straight. I'm still using a walker full time and was told to til probably 6 weeks. I limp still and I'm still swollen and kinda stiff which doesn't help. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
 
@Layla Does it still hurt? If so, limping is what we do.
If it doesn't still hurt, then it is a habit. After LTHR, I had a limp off and on for 18-20 months because I still had pain, especially upon standing and taking the first few steps.
I had to make a conscious effort not to limp after the pain went away. Gradually the habit became not to limp.
My right hip doesn't count, I was lucky. I don't need to limp cause it doesn't hurt.
You will get there I have faith.
 
@cpollock
No shame in the walker or cane, I'm just antsy I guess. Since both my parents experienced hip replacements I have so much paraphanelia around here it looks like a medical supply store. I'm looking to edit as it doesn't fit in well with my home decor'!
Kidding aside.... I probably limped for a little over a year. Didn't use an aid, probably should have but didn't really think of it. You poor thing, waiting so long for surgery must have been very difficult! I only had to wait two months and that was long enough, giving my mind plenty of time to scare myself! I had what they refer to as external rotation, operative leg turning outward a bit which my OS fixed during surgery. However, I still catch myself turning it outward a bit. I don't know if that's what they refer to as muscle memory? Old habits die hard, I guess. I still am swollen here and there too, Cheryl as well as stiff at times, some days more than others. I wish you continued healing and a peaceful, pain controlled weekend!
 
@dougie0216
Thanks for your response. It does still hurt a bit. Maybe "hurt" is too strong a word but there's a discomfort. It feels best if I use the cane and am super concious of my posture. Don't know if you limped pre-surgery either time but I did, I suppose these bad habits in gait developed in our efforts to stave off pain. I guess it's understandable it can take some time to work out the kinks post op. I do have it stored in my memory bank that you were told it can take up to 24 months. That thought takes the pressure and stress away of wishing I wasn't limping at all. When you think of the assault our body goes through its amazing and miraculous we heal as quickly as we do.
A great weekend to you!!
 
@Layla Oh yes, I limped prior to surgery, both times. I used a cane both times. Especially prior to the first surgery. I put off or postponed trips both times because the thought of being in a car longer than an hour was very unappealing

A funny thing happened just prior to my last surgery. I got to read names during the commencement ceremony for the University I work for. It was hot, I was standing on a box and had my torso turned one way and my lower body turned another. I had to get their card, figure out how to pronounce their name then turn 30 degrees or so to speak into a microphone.
That took 45-minutes and when I was done, I tried to turn to walk down the two steps off the box. My hip had locked up! It wasn't working period. So instead of turning and walking down normally, I kind of scissor stepped off the box sideways. I hobbled backstage and collapsed on an equipment box. After coaxing my hip to work I got to drive the 25-miles home, in my manual transmission car. That was May 5. Surgery was June 1. It couldnt have come soon enough. So yes, I was limping, using a cane and exercising my vocabulary, just not into a microphone.
 
@dougie0216
Wanted to hit the FUNNY icon at the end regarding "exercising my vocabulary" but none else was funny... only
painfully sad. But that was then, this is now!
Continued healing!
 
Last edited:
@Layla the leg length feeling is there and tough to fight. As others have mentioned, standing tall and thinking about staying tall when i walk helps. Just getting started with this really.... Able to do more than I thought.

I am excited about your upcoming appt... Hoping many of your questions will be answered by your dr and that you will leave the visit feeling optimistic and showing good improvement based on where you started.

My OS commented today that i was a good walker before surgery. I didn't really agree, at first. But reading about other's stories, i can see that i was not that bad off to start, which gave me a bit of a head start now.

Gauge your progress on your own track... We are rooting for you. I have been approved to drive, but don't feel quite ready for that.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have a favorite word. My wife had never used it before in her life. After 20-some-odd years of being married to me, she now uses it occasionally. I just start laughing. I'm still training her to use a certain hand gesture:heehee:
 
I'd been limping for around two years in various degrees depending on how hard I pushed it. At some points walking without crutches was impossible. I'm three and a half weeks post op and just switched to crutches. Mostly just one. It became hard to walk upright and strait while reaching for the walker. It was just getting in the way. Much easier with just one crutch now. And less discomfort,not really pain.Probably move to a cane in a week or so. Happy healing
Bill
 
@Gone again
Just as we continue to hear....we all progress at different rates for different reasons. I always find it interesting to hear how recoveries can vary in the same person from one hip to the other @dougie0216 has reminded us.

I may need this surgery again since my other hip is affected, as is yours, I believe. Seems to be a common scenario. When I questioned my OS about my "better" hip of the two at my original consultation all he said was "years". I'm taking that and running with it since it's easier to digest. I wasn't even tempted to ask him how many "years" he was thinking!

Hope you have a great day and beautiful weekend.
 
@Layla Years? When they did my first hip, the surgeon casually mentioned, "We'll see you in three to five years for the other hip." At three years and two months the pain was too much. I had surgery just a little over 3-1/2 years after the other hip. It started bothering me, meaning bone on bone, in late 2015. That was just two years after the previous surgery.... So just plan on having the other one replaced. You are doomed:headbang:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom